Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Triumph valve check

Triumph valve check

I have 14k on my 2012 street triple. The manual indicates the valves should be checked/ serviced at 12k miles which I have not yet done. That's a bigger job that I've done on any bike before. I'm reading some conflicting reports online, some people seem to say don't even bother with the 12k, and even at 24k it's rarely out of spec. I guess I'm looking for opinions or experience on what you guys have done? Should I be worried about not checking it at 12k miles? The bike doesn't make any noises that concern me. Should I just keep a good ear out and keep going? Am I playing with fire by not doing it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Triumph valve check

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I have 14k on my 2012 street triple. The manual indicates the valves should be checked/ serviced at 12k miles which I have not yet done. That's a bigger job that I've done on any bike before. I'm reading some conflicting reports online, some people seem to say don't even bother with the 12k, and even at 24k it's rarely out of spec. I guess I'm looking for opinions or experience on what you guys have done? Should I be worried about not checking it at 12k miles? The bike doesn't make any noises that concern me. Should I just keep a good ear out and keep going? Am I playing with fire by not doing it?
    Reports are definitely 50/50. Some need it, some don't. Mark will probably chime in that he didn't need them done until something like 80k.

I didn't bother on my Tiger until 20k or so. I found a few out of spec but not crazy out.

I found it pretty easy to check, it's basically everything I would do to get to the plugs to change them anyway plus popping the valve cover off. The big difference becomes if you find them out of spec and need to re-shim, then it becomes a bit more complicated.

Maybe next time it you do plugs you can check the clearance and if it they're out decide from there. Worst case you just throw it back together while you figure it how you want to handle doing them if they need it. It's not like the motor is gonna instantly be toast if you find them out and don't do it right away.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I had my valves checked at a dealer on my Tiger 1200 around 22k miles and they were fine. I wouldn't stress about checking them ASAP but I will mostly follow the owner's manual and have the valves checked every 20k-25k miles. Triumph has the 1200 listed as a 20k check interval. I'm closing in on my next valve check.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thanks guys. I tend to over think stuff like this, which I probably am doing with this issue. Things are financially a little bit tighter with addition of Kid #1 so I was trying to avoid both paying 800$+ I was quoted for the service, and doing it myself and f-ing it up.

Last edited by 01xj; 07-19-18 at 02:41 PM.

High maintenance priss

Checking valve clearance is pretty easy DIY if you are reasonably mechanically inclined. Remove things like tank, airbox, and valve cover. Put crankshaft in the right positions and measure with a feeler gauge. I guess I'd rather know for sure than hope they are OK.

Adjusting is where it gets a little more critical...as in: do it wrong, you could do some damage.

Definitely worth checking.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Check for sure. The long (12") feeler gauges are very helpful checking Triumph triple valves. I'd recommend getting a new valve cover gasket as well, you'll very likely damage yours when you pull the valve cover off.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Hi all. What is the trick to getting the valve cover off the valves of the Tiger 1200? I can't move it forward enough to lift it and move it to the right.