Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

How ugly is this fix?

How ugly is this fix?

I bought this exhaust used and I'm pretty sure the guy I bought it from either lied about it's age and use or didn't include everything as a complete kit. I put it together and installed it the way it was pictured as being sold, and it went together just fine. That was last March so it's not like it hasn't gotten any use.

Lately I noticed the can or actual muffler portion is loose. I think some of the rivets loosened up from the can not being supported and bouncing around as the bike goes down the road. I found the bracket pictured on Amazon. It's not a perfect fit but after some fanageling and bending it's a decent shape match. Today I just cut some aluminum real quick and bolted it up behind the passenger footpeg. I know it's not pretty but it took 25 minutes to make and slap on there, and at least it's some support for the muffler. Just wondering if there is anything else you guys would do differently?

Mivv does sell a bracket to support this muffler and I just sent an email off to a stateside supplier they have. We'll see what happens on that front.

I suspect the root cause needs to be fixed, which would be drilling and re-riveting the muffler. Is that feasible for a muffler like this? I know drilling and re-packing is pretty common on the dirty bikes but I have never opened up a street muffler before.

Quick gif of the loosey goosey part
    https://gfycat.com/apprehensivecoarseacornwoodpecker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How ugly is this fix?-img_20211031_134848-jpg   How ugly is this fix?-img_20211031_134859-jpg  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 10-31-21 at 01:18 PM.

Re: How ugly is this fix?

does it move at the pipe inlet or is this just an outer shielding movement independent of the actual exhaust flow ? my cheap ass locally fabricated cherry bomb setup isn't loose like that

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Yeah I answered my own question after I posted this. It needs to be fixed correctly. There is a good amount of exhaust leaking out down where the header pipe meets the can. I stuck my hand down there just after starting the bike. I'll have to investigate repairing the can or replacing it

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Yeah I answered my own question after I posted this. It needs to be fixed correctly. There is a good amount of exhaust leaking out down where the header pipe meets the can. I stuck my hand down there just after starting the bike. I'll have to investigate repairing the can or replacing it
    the fab shop that did mine, does a lot of exhaust work (on cars) shrunk the midpipe for perfect fit to stock header, bends in the right places, and I sourced a 3" chrome hangar (marketed forHarley straight pipes) that hangs the Cherry Bomb from stock location on my V-stromHow ugly is this fix?-cherry-jpg

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON