Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Valve Adjustment

Valve Adjustment

I've set out on the adventure of shimming my valves for the first time. I've got all the clearances documented so now just on to the shimming part. Anyway when I took the carbs off I noticed there is a fair amount of a carbon looking substance built up on the backsides of the intake valves. Is this normal? Is there a way of cleaning them up without actually taking the valves out? It looks like it's a total PITA to go anyfurther then removing the camshafts/buckets and followers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    02 ZX750R & 08 KX450F

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Valve Adjustment

The carbon is easy to clean. Run a tank full of Techron treated gas through the engine under normal riding conditions and it will be gone.

Need to swap shims? I have a 7.48mm kit and can swap for ya.

Spray carb cleaner into the runner and let it sit there for about a half hour. Then tip and drain while spraying into the runner to clear it out. That will eat the gunk away.

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    The carbon is easy to clean. Run a tank full of Techron treated gas through the engine under normal riding conditions and it will be gone.

Yeah it looks like I'm running a 7.48. Don't know exactly what I need yet though haven't got the old ones out yet.

Yeah I might have to try that Techron stuff next year. You're not the first post that it works.

02 ZX750R & 08 KX450F

Quote Originally Posted by landricscustoms View Post
    Spray carb cleaner into the runner and let it sit there for about a half hour. Then tip and drain while spraying into the runner to clear it out. That will eat the gunk away.
    Yeah. I thought of Carb cleaner but I don't think I'd be able to obtain the tippage to get it out. The engine is still in the frame. The intake ports are deep and at a steep angle.

02 ZX750R & 08 KX450F

techron or seafoam don't worry

Note many times you can move shims rather than all new ones

Quote Originally Posted by emayn15 View Post
    Yeah it looks like I'm running a 7.48. Don't know exactly what I need yet though haven't got the old ones out yet.

Yeah I might have to try that Techron stuff next year. You're not the first post that it works.
    Well the offer is out there. I used to swap them at a dealer, but none will do it anymore, so I bought a full kit of them.

Cool thanks! I'll see what I actually need this weekend once I start shifting them around. I only have a few out of spec but I think I'm going to try to bring them all as close to the middle or as close together as possible.

02 ZX750R & 08 KX450F

Cool thanks! I'll see what I actually need this weekend once I start shifting them around. I only have a few out of spec but I think I'm going to try to bring them all as close to the middle or as close together as possible.
    Don't aim for the middle, aim for the maximum clearance allowed. They get tighter over time and maximum clearance gives you more time between adjustments. I can go 30,000 miles before I need to adjust mine. It's a whole lot easier to check the clearance than it is to adjust it.

And here is the ubiquitous Hot Cams shim kit: http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/hot...imkits_748.htm

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    And here is the ubiquitous Hot Cams shim kit: http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/hot...imkits_748.htm
    nice man... thanks. i'll be checking mine this winter or maybe spring.

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post

Stoinky, does this offer still stand? I finally got around to pulling the shims and have a list of what I'll need. Just let me know.

02 ZX750R & 08 KX450F

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you run techron through to clean the valves, clearances may change a little. Just bear that in mind.

Haha. Awesome. I never took that in to consideration. Maybe I'll just let it be then considering I'm already in to the later stages of the valve adjustment.

02 ZX750R & 08 KX450F

Stoinky, does this offer still stand? I finally got around to pulling the shims and have a list of what I'll need. Just let me know.
    Absolutely. Let me know what you need.

I don't think techron will affect the valve clearance. The deposits are clustered around the stem where the airflow is interrupted by the stem and the fuel droplets fall out of suspension and collect on the stem itself. I have never seen anything collect on the sealing surface of the valve or the head, that's where velocities are highest and the constant opening, closing and spinning of the valve will keep them clean.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig
    Don't aim for the middle, aim for the maximum clearance allowed. They get tighter over time and maximum clearance gives you more time between adjustments. I can go 30,000 miles before I need to adjust mine. It's a whole lot easier to check the clearance than it is to adjust it.
    That may be why you don't see any carbon deposits on your valve seating area or seats. Its false economy to adjust valves to the largest possible gap. You are not helping the valves, head and piston have have a good working relationship if you leave valve clearances loose like that. Cam ramp, valve open duration and timing are all affected by valve lash. You are always better of going for the middle of the adjustment range unless it's a desmo in which case tighter end of the adjustment range is always better.

Length of time between adjustments is a minor concern when compared to slamming the valve into the seat and slamming the cam lobe unto the bucket for half of those 30k miles.

Just my opinion. And when I do a valve adjustment I clean the valves before or not at all.

Banned

And I do make a living by doing valve adjustments (amongst other things) so I might be somewhat biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

Length of time between adjustments is a minor concern when compared to slamming the valve into the seat and slamming the cam lobe unto the bucket for half of those 30k miles.

Just my opinion. And when I do a valve adjustment I clean the valves before or not at all.
    What's the downside of running them like I do? I've got the cylinder head sitting on my bench (engine needs a new head gasket) with the cams out, and the buckets and cam lobes look fine after 90,000 miles.

limits are limits. as long as youre within them, who cares. some smart engineer dudes decided they were ok.

that being said, when i do my ducs, i set the opener clearances on the loose side, and the closer clearances on the tight side.

on regular style valves, i go right in the middle of the recommended clearances.

i think it just comes down to how we each break the logic down in our brains.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto