Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

valves or tires first? '95 fzr600 w' 20k miles

Bearing in mind that both will get done by June, which should come first?

Spring is coming and my bike has 20,000 miles on it. I am not entire positive, but I'm pretty sure the valves have never gotten done. I also saw many of the warning symptoms (harder to start, etc.).

Would you do the valves first?

Or do the tires?

The front has been on there since I got at (at 14k miles), so it has 6k of my riding. The middle tread is still more than enough to ride, but the edges are becoming worn and the front end has a shimmy at upper highway speeds. It has more than the head of a penny's worth of tread.

The rear only has ~3,000 of miles put on by myself, but it's a 150/70 (too big for this bike) and I really have to wrestle with it to lean on exit ramps. So if not for the wear on the rear tire, I'm inclined to replace this because it's just not fun to ride, and it's a cheap tire. The rear wheel is also bent at the lip, so I'm replacing the rim altogether. It has ~40%-50% tread left in the middle.

But if I do the tires the total cost will be high: f&r tires will be ~$220, the rear wheel will be $130, and I'm buying f&r stands (~$125) to suspend the bike as I drop off the rims at the dealer, and mounting will be another $20. It's going to be nearly $500.

So which would you get done first?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'd check the valves myself while the bike was awaiting the new tires.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Valves for sure. You do not want to run it with tight valves. They "avalanche" when they stop sealing. Takes very little time to destroy them when running them tight.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

valves for simple fact that if you decide to have a shop do them you wont be out of a bike during the season. and changing tires doesnt take more than 1/2 hr. or valves while waiting for tires

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Tires unles u got a bad tap

the valves on the FZR 600 are good for around 12'000 miles between adjustment. your way overdue. you've mentioned the hard starting, that's the first sign of tight valves. you'll bur them if they don't get adjusted. and I'll bet the carbs haven't been synced in a while. i get calls all the time about tires for these bikes. I'm always talking customers out of the 150 for the rear. as you mentioned it does effect handling. the wheel isn't designed to carry the big tire and it completely changes the profile. i don't know where your from but i can save you some dough on service and tires. just an offer....don't shoot me.

can't we all just get along? the snake. ssssss!

Valves. And a carb sync while the bikes opend up,

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I think I would do the valves first, the tires dont look to horrible and then u at least have some peace of mind. A carb sinc is prob a really good idea also I need to do both on my bike as well.