Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Parts washer solvent

Parts washer solvent

What do you guys with parts washers use as a cleaner/solvent? Simple green has been recommended so far. This will be used to clean motorcycle parts (obviously).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Re: Parts washer solvent

We used to use Safety Kleen in the military. It was harsh on the skin as it would extract the oils and dry out. Whatever you use, wear some good gloves.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Simple green is awesome on heavily greased parts or calipers. Safety Kleen is awesome as well. We used that in the military and still use it today. But over all I think I like simple green the best. It really depends on what you wanna clean

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Depends on what your cleaning, greasy chain and sprockets I would try to get safety kLean, if you can't get that, not really recommended but diesel fuel works great , or paint thinner (flammable) but after a week our so and some greasy parts paint thinner settles down a bit and has a little less fumes. That is what I have in my parts cleaner, its about 5 yrs old now . Do not use gas (very bad) (boom)
    Walmart has "purple stuff " by the gallon and 5 gallon jugs, wear gloves and protect all open sores and cuts it has some sort of acid in it , gloves and protection highly recommended , works great, and is biodegradable like simple green but more potent/harsh, and a little more cost effective,about $20.00 for 5 gal can be watered down.

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by BluGixxer View Post
    Depends on what your cleaning, greasy chain and sprockets I would try to get safety kLean, if you can't get that, not really recommended but diesel fuel works great , or paint thinner (flammable) but after a week our so and some greasy parts paint thinner settles down a bit and has a little less fumes. That is what I have in my parts cleaner, its about 5 yrs old now . Do not use gas (very bad) (boom)
    Walmart has "purple stuff " by the gallon and 5 gallon jugs, wear gloves and protect all open sores and cuts it has some sort of acid in it , gloves and protection highly recommended , works great, and is biodegradable like simple green but more potent/harsh, and a little more cost effective,about $20.00 for 5 gal can be watered down.
    That purple stuff sounds perfect. Now I assume that I would rinse the parts in water after using the cleaner to prevent the acid in the cleaner from eating away at the parts?

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Yes, rinse and repeat rinse, always test on a spot before washing whole part, it will damage paint if left on, it is very strong stuff.
    Do not drink.it its not a bahama mama

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

I've tried most over the counter (walmart, autozone , etc) ended up going with mineral spirits. Been pretty happy thus far.

Simple Green, Purple Power and the other water based cleaners are fairly equal, all use the same ingredients, different coloring DO NOT use on polished aluminum!!!!!!! will instantly make it white
    If you want a low budget solvent and can keep it covered and out of confined areas with open flame ( your basement) Kerosene is great. It is really clean diesel fuel. Diesel fuel leaves an oily residue. Kero is "drier" and doesn't leave the oily residue. When you are done with it, run it thru a paint screen and into your fuel oil tank. Any oil in the kero from the cleaned parts actually raises the cetane of your fuel oil. BTW, do you know the difference between diesel fuel and home heating oil? Taxes and red dye to make it harder to get away with putting #2 home heating oil in your truck.
    Keep a plywood cover over your parts washer. A cheap plastic laundry sink from Home Despot. is a great parts washer

Miss on you pister, go back off in your own jackyard! No ,I'm dot nyxlesic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs182 View Post
    Simple Green, Purple Power and the other water based cleaners are fairly equal, all use the same ingredients, different coloring DO NOT use on polished aluminum!!!!!!! will instantly make it white
    If you want a low budget solvent and can keep it covered and out of confined areas with open flame ( your basement) Kerosene is great. It is really clean diesel fuel. Diesel fuel leaves an oily residue. Kero is "drier" and doesn't leave the oily residue. When you are done with it, run it thru a paint screen and into your fuel oil tank. Any oil in the kero from the cleaned parts actually raises the cetane of your fuel oil. BTW, do you know the difference between diesel fuel and home heating oil? Taxes and red dye to make it harder to get away with putting #2 home heating oil in your truck.
    Keep a plywood cover over your parts washer. A cheap plastic laundry sink from Home Despot. is a great parts washer
    Cool thanks. Looks like I will try purple power and mineral spirits.