Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Wavy Chicken Strip

Wavy Chicken Strip

Got Conti Road Attack 180s on an ZRX1100 about a month ago (stock size is 170) - trying to get rid of the chicken strips and seeing that the strips are wavy. The waves seem to match up with the tread pattern - with the valleys of the wave happening at the grooves towards the sidewall. Any ideas?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Wavy Chicken Strip

The tires are flexing when they grip. The treads in them allow each block of rubber to flex a little. It'll probably diminish as the wear gets closer to the edge of the tire and the treads disappear. Mine are worn to the edge of the tread and do not show this pattern.

Your tire pressure correct? Low pressure will exacerbate the "problem".

Wavy Chicken Strip

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    Your tire pressure correct? Low pressure will exacerbate the "problem".
    They're on the high end of the recommended range to compensate for my strong influence on gravity.

It was also recommended that since it's a 180 on a 170 rim the carcass may bulge a little. Either way, it sounds like riding will cure them blues.

Banned

Wavy Chicken Strip

Originally posted by Little John
    It was also recommended that since it's a 180 on a 170 rim the carcass may bulge a little. Either way, it sounds like riding will cure them blues.

Why would you do that?

The carcass may bulge a little because, hey, guess what? It doesn't fit!!!

You just ruined the handling of the bike and you're asking questins about uneven tire wear, then you answered your own question by saying the tire is the wrong size for the bike.

derek.

Wavy Chicken Strip

Originally posted by Degsy
    Why would you do that?
    Just trying something new (to me). It seems common enough practice, at least in the ZRX circles, and I don't think it would cause any harm. It still handles fine - a little more sluggish changing direction is all.

Wavy Chicken Strip

from what I have heard going up one size shouldn't effect the steering ability of the bike, Im running a 190/50 on a 180/55 and the dealership said that is completely fine aslong as you don't go up to 200 how does going up one size make such a "huge" difference

You suck at life go kill yourself

05 Gixxer 600

Wavy Chicken Strip

it's not the handling you got to worry about,

if you put too wide a tire on a rim, it distorts the profile and the bead does not seat properly

stock 170 sounds like a 5" rim and most 180s require a 5½" rim

most people put wider tires on for looks, but unless you get a wider rim, the profle is pinched and they tire isn't any wider than the correct size

I would be concerned with cornering on an eazy sweeper that your used to taking on stock size @ 100mph, the stesses might be just enuf to unseal the bead due to the distorted profile

on the Sv forum, guys are always trying to put 170s & 180 on a rim that's meant for a 150 (4½") but comes stock with a 160

I have heard of 1 documented fatality due to an oversize tire coming unseated from the bead, that's enuf for me.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Banned

Wavy Chicken Strip

Originally posted by Jenks
    from what I have heard going up one size shouldn't effect the steering ability of the bike, Im running a 190/50 on a 180/55 and the dealership said that is completely fine aslong as you don't go up to 200 how does going up one size make such a "huge" difference

Well, you heard some idiot speaking out of his ass and the dealership don't know what the fuck they are talking about. Clear enough? The difference is huge. You cannot run a 190 on a 5.0 inch rim without screwing up the handling, period. You'll bulge the tire wall too.

Who did you talk to at the dealership. The girl who answers the 'phones, or the guy who sold you a 190 rear tire?

The REAL question that I haven't had an honest answer to is "why do you want to run a bigger tire?"

The honest answer that I have been looking for is "because it looks cool" Admit it, you want a bigger tire because you want to look cool. If you're gonna do something like that, don't try to justify it by saying the dealer said it was ok, just say "I wanted it because it makes the bike look badass" That I can understand.

derek

Wavy Chicken Strip

Originally posted by Jenks
    Eh? It does effect the handling changing from one size tire to a different size tire even if your rim is equiped for it. The rc51 came stock with a 190/50 and if you ask most guys that have one you will find that most of them including myself run a 180/55. Its done for two reasons. It raises the rear ride height just a little bit making the suspension work better and it also allows for quicker turning.

When you run a wider then normal tire on a rim that can handle it the bike will be more slugglish to transfer to the side amking for slower turn ins. When you runa wider tire on a rim that is too small well you run the risk of it blowing off as the others have said.

It might be me but I dont understand the wide tire craze. While Ill admist a large tire looks good to a certain point its getting to the point where its a bit ridiculous. Whats the point of a 300 tire? I guess if you dont want a side stand its kind of nice to have. Next thing we will see if people rolling down the street with a 400 tire just to out do the other guy.

James

Wavy Chicken Strip

If you want to go up to a 190 from a 180 and not have an adverse effect on handling, run a 190/55 and not a 190/50.

On a 5.5 inch rim, the 190/50 gives a very flat profile and will effect handling. The 190/55 is a much rounder profile which can return the flickability of the 180/55 and give you the bigger footprint.

Tracks like Road America, Willow Springs and Road Atanta will have 600's running 190's but 190/55's not 190/50's.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Go up a few posts. I did answer it honestly.

Originally posted by Degsy

The REAL question that I haven't had an honest answer to is "why do you want to run a bigger tire?"
    Just trying something new (to me).
    And I have to agree, the handling isn't as good as the stock size. I'll be going back when it's time for a new one. In the meantime, it's doing its job, the waviness is going down. I "honestly" don't give two fucks about the look of a wider tire because I'm not from the ghetto (nor do I want to be), nor do I wish I had a $100k OCC/WCC/Arlen Ness Faux Chopper.

Banned

Re: Go up a few posts. I did answer it honestly.

And I have to agree, the handling isn't as good as the stock size. I'll be going back when it's time for a new one. In the meantime, it's doing its job, the waviness is going down. I "honestly" don't give two fucks about the look of a wider tire because I'm not from the ghetto (nor do I want to be), nor do I wish I had a $100k OCC/WCC/Arlen Ness Faux Chopper.
    Yep, you did answer. saw that :-)

derek

Wavy Chicken Strip

Originally posted by Karaya One
    If you want to go up to a 190 from a 180 and not have an adverse effect on handling, run a 190/55 and not a 190/50.

On a 5.5 inch rim, the 190/50 gives a very flat profile and will effect handling. The 190/55 is a much rounder profile which can return the flickability of the 180/55 and give you the bigger footprint.

Tracks like Road America, Willow Springs and Road Atanta will have 600's running 190's but 190/55's not 190/50's.
    This is true but the 190/55 wasnt really an option until recently

James

Wavy Chicken Strip

And it may not be a common option for a pure street tire.

When you start dealing with taller profiles like the 55 in a 190, the tire becomes triangulated. Good for leaned-over traction, but straight line stability may be an issue.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Wavy Chicken Strip

Thought I dredge this up since I just spooned on a new rear road attack and took it easy on the way to work cuz new tires are slick and all. Mine has very wavy chicken strips. I'd have to say it's normal until you get get it leaned over further.

Lifer

Wavy Chicken Strip

My Pirelli Diablo Corsas in the stock size have a wavy wear pattern too even though the wear is essentially all the way to the edge. There are little 1mm segments that are unworn at the edges.

Seems normal enough.

Wavy Chicken Strip

Thanks dude,
    I'll be curious to see if you completely get rid of them. I still have a slight waviness, but nothing compared to when they started.

Wavy Chicken Strip

Thanks dude,
    I'll be curious to see if you completely get rid of them. I still have a slight waviness, but nothing compared to when they started.
    I am certain the waviness will go away. This is not the first Road Attack tire for me (won't be the last either, I really like these tires). Just gotta wear it past where the tread ends and it straightens right out.