Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Winterizing!

Re: Winterizing!

i saw the marine version at a local napa autoparts store

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
    Never heard of the marine version. What properties does it have that makes it a better choice than the red?
    It does not matter what color it is!

Just get stabilizer that is formulated for ethanol gas. I got some and the shit is red as can be.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Figured I'd bump this thread for all of us sad folk putting the bikes away for the winter

I'm going to have to go buy some stabil and a battery tender this week and put her in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    /It is important that if you are using a kickstand on the bike (side or center) that you separate the kickstand from your cement floor with a rubber mat. The moisture in the cement will act as a ground and drain and/or ruin the battery. /
    If you do a google search this seems to have been discussed on just about every motorcycle forum.

SLA batteries will self-discharge even if disconnected. Rate depends on battery type, temperature, etc. AGM and some of the new chemistries have much lower rates of internal discharge.

Concrete will conduct moisture but I understood it was common practice to put down a moisture barrier under a garage anyway. We put an epoxy finish on ours, and don't find any evidence of dampness.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-05-12 at 12:41 PM.

I use Sea Foam 1 oz per gallon. Works great! That ,battery tender, and stands and I`m good all winter. I usually catch a few warmer days too.

"3. Dry gas." Does anyone even buy dry gas anymore? Why would you add ethanol to fuel that already has ethanol in it? And if you have access to E0 fuel, why would you ruin it by adding ethanol?

FIXED

1. Coolant - most street bikes should be ok from factory, but if you've added any water, or if you like to be safe "sweeten" up your coolant to avoid any freezing in the block, water pump, radiator, or overflow. If you add coolant (please don't ask if you can use automotive coolant) - be sure to let the bike run until it comes up to temp before turning it off for the winter. Do this before you change the oil.

2. Fresh oil change - your clutch and motor share the same oil supply - unless your oil change is less than 500 miles old (and even then) you have measurable debris, and you do NOT want it to sit all winter. Put fresh oil in, any fresh oil.

3. Fuel - Carburetors: If you can fill up with non-ethanol fuel and run it through the carbs, then park it and smile. If all you have is E10, then you have two options: A.) drain all fuel from tank and carbs. Hopefully your tank is coated so it won't rust and have faith in your rubber seals. B.) Fill tank with fuel, add fuel stabilizer formulated for ethanol, and run it through carbs. (in case you were wondering; I have been doing A. for years with no leaking seals)
    Fuel - Fuel Injection: Same as above but no carbs to fuck with.

4. Battery - Many bikes have serviceable batteries, but serviceable or maintenance free, get a battery tender, or similar device (Wal-Mart sells a budget one for $14.99 that works great) and plug the fucker in and leave it alone as long as it has a float mode. If not then you'll have to play the plug/unplug game every couple of months. On the bike/off the bike... doesn't matter as long as it has the trickle charger. If your kickstand is conducting a charge to the ground and causing your battery to discharge, then you've got other problems and should rethink that rats-nest wiring job you did last winter or put your bike up on craigslist as a winter special.

5. Tires - Over inflate tires 5-10psi over sidewall recommendation (when that cold air hits, this will drop... This is a good Idea even in a heated garage if you plan on leaving the bike on it's wheels all winter) I recommend getting the bike up on stands - if you don’t have bike stands or want to spend the money, you can use 2x4s and automotive jack stands ($19.99 a pair many places). If the bike is off the ground, over inflation is not necessary.

Those are the basics...

Last edited by B440; 12-05-12 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B440 View Post

Those are the basics... It's always a good idea to get the bike started up every month (when you charge the battery) or so, in order to reposition the pistons in the sleeves - I like to be cautious.
    I'm not a bike mechanic, but I've been told to avoid this as it WILL cause damage over time.

2006 DRZ400SM

I took that out. Missed it first time around. I never start 'em

"3. Dry gas." Does anyone even buy dry gas anymore? Why would you add ethanol to fuel that already has ethanol in it? And if you have access to E0 fuel, why would you ruin it by adding ethanol?
    Drygas isn't Ethanol. The alcohol in dry gas separates the water out of the mix and binds it so it no longer affects combustion or degrades the fuel mix. Ethanol just helps draw water in to the party, detrimental effects be damned. Because of ethanol, drygas is MORE useful now.

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

This is what I have used for the last 2-3 seasons. IMO is the best fuel stabilizer on the market also it is E10 friendly.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

Winterizing!

Good thread.. Just curious, water injection is quite common for high performance engine applications.

-Mark
    80 GS850 well sorta....

Quote Originally Posted by Mvalenti View Post
    Good thread.. Just curious, water injection is quite common for high performance engine applications.
    In those cases the water is sprayed in separately, not partially dissolved in/ruining the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mvalenti View Post
    In those cases, small amounts of water are injected to cool the intake charge, no relation to what we're talking about here. I agree that starting up the bike is not a good idea unless you're going to go for a decent ride. But I also think that moving the parts around now and then to help them from taking a set is a good idea. Especially on the Ducatis or any other bike that uses belts for the cam drive. If your bike lets you operate the starter with the kill switch to off, it's a good idea to just turn the engine over a bit without starting it. Or put it in top gear and push it around a little, which will help with not flatspotting the tires, and so on.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Drygas isn't Ethanol. The alcohol in dry gas separates the water out of the mix and binds it so it no longer affects combustion or degrades the fuel mix. Ethanol just helps draw water in to the party, detrimental effects be damned. Because of ethanol, drygas is MORE useful now.
    exactly, dry gas is either methanol or isopropyl

I recommend staying away from the cheaper methanol type dry gas, its corrosive like ethanol and another advantage of isopropyl is that it will thaw already frozen lines and prevent frozen lines while methanol will only prevent them from freezing

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

BTW there's an article in this month's MCN on how to remove the Ethanol from fuel.

lol thanks RandyO. I stand by my statement Kurlon, though I may have worded it wrong. Ethanol (made from corn), methanol (made from wood) and isopropyl (made from fairies) are all forms of alcohol and using drygas in E10 fuel does two things; Jack and shit... and Jack left town. The ethanol in E10 fuel already does what drygas is supposed to do; absorb the water.

Because of ethanol, drygas is MORE useless now.

B440, there is a difference to attracting water and leaving it in a state where it can cause problems, and binding what's there so it can no longer negatively impact things. Ethanol does one, methanol and isopropyl do the other. BIIIIIIIG difference.

Still think there is no difference? Drink up some Methanol and then see what they prescribe you as a cure.

Last edited by Kurlon; 12-05-12 at 05:47 PM.

They would pump your stomach and possibly kidney dialysis if it's in the bloodstream. Ethanol will bind the water too.

If you left methanol or isopropyl in your tank, they would also attract water just like ethanol.... so I guess I don't really understand your point? But I win this internet arguement because I posted the bunny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winterizing!-wtf-jpg  

Treatment for methanol poisoning is ethanol. That's the point I was trying to get to is just because they have '-nol' for a suffix does not mean the behave the same. If ethanol actually bound up the water it attracted we wouldn't be having any of these discussions.

lol thanks RandyO. I stand by my statement Kurlon, though I may have worded it wrong. Ethanol (made from corn), methanol (made from wood) and isopropyl (made from fairies) are all forms of alcohol and using drygas in E10 fuel does two things; Jack and shit... and Jack left town. The ethanol in E10 fuel already does what drygas is supposed to do; absorb the water.

ya, how come ya still get frozen fuel lines with E10 and don't with drygas, and how come they never made drygas with ethanol

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Well ya got me on the frozen lines. Use drygas for that. But if I'm storing my bike for the winter, frozen fuel lines aren't going to matter much.

Ethanol, Methanol and Isopropyl are all hydroscopic but to a different degree. Ethanol, primary alcohol only had one carbon, it is the most hydroscopic and hardest to mix with polyscopic hydrocarbons, Methanol, secondary alcohol has 2 carbons, and Isopropyl, tertiary alcohol has 3 carbons it is barely hydroscopic and mixes with polyscopic hydrocarbons the best, with Ethanol mixes with water better than it does with the gas while Isopropyl & Methanol mix better with fuel than they do with water

RandyO
    IBA#9560

What is this "winter" you guys speak of?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    What is this "winter" you guys speak of?
    Ever notice people on NESR get bitchier as a group towards the end of the year? That's winter.

I dunno, NESR people are kinda bitchy all year long.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast