Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

WTF rear rim wont spin after tire change

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

WTF rear rim wont spin after tire change

14 duke 690.
    I think I"m missing a spacer but I dont see it anywhere. Reading parts diagrams I dont see one.
    https://www.bike-parts-ktm.com/ktm-m...L/539/14/0/539
    need a sanity check.

Took off rear rim, parts that came off were in pice ( besides cush drive and rear sprocket)WTF   rear rim wont spin after  tire change-20240521_113116-jpgWTF   rear rim wont spin after  tire change-20240521_113116-jpg
    Got tire back put it back on and torqued to 66 ft lbs per spec , rear brake is not dragging at all.
    Rear rim wont spin w/ o major effort. I back off on the nut and it spins freely. Tire is centered, tension is light if any

Am I missing something, driving me crazy.
    I put tire back on and rearcaliper on and sit it flush against swingarm and there is a tiy gap between the caliper and swingarm where the axle would come thru, size of a spacer. but I dont see onein the diagram, nor on my garage floor.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: WTF rear rim wont spin after tire change

Make sure the cush drive is fully seated into the wheel with the spacer between it and the wheel (item 27 in link you provided) properly seated in the bearings on either side.

Is item 24 in the link you provided there?

Not sure about older cush drives, but on the newer KTM's there's a dust cap and nylon ring that seat into the outer bearing of the cush drive. If that's missing it's likely the cush drive face will touch against the swingarm and prevent it from moving. Looks like #23 and #24 on your fiche is what I'm talking about.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 05-21-24 at 11:53 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

UPDATE... Got it on , this was the biggest pain to pu tback on of all the bikes I"ve had. caliper was jus tslightly off its rail in the swingarm causing this misalignment

Spins fine now, no spacers missing.
    Hate it when a 15 min job turns into 2 hours.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Not sure about the street bikes but on the adventure bikes I've owned, KTM has a little shoulder on the lower part of the rear caliper bracket to prevent the wheel from dropping when pulling the axle. The trick is to pick the wheel up slightly over the axle hole in the caliper bracket, seat the disc into the pads while pushing towards teh front of the bike and then drop the whole thing down into the caliper bracket.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I swapped to rains last fall the only time I rode my duke 790, and it was seriously super hard to get it on. Took me forever. Can't even imagine swapping in a race.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Not sure about the street bikes but on the adventure bikes I've owned, KTM has a little shoulder on the lower part of the rear caliper bracket to prevent the wheel from dropping when pulling the axle. The trick is to pick the wheel up slightly over the axle hole in the caliper bracket, seat the disc into the pads while pushing towards teh front of the bike and then drop the whole thing down into the caliper bracket.
    yup its a trick, pain in the ass trick I figured out.
    dam. i had to use a ratchet strap to pull the rim up while pushing the disc pad out so it wouldnt fall out of the caliper
    all the while just first trying to fit the rim/ tire into the swingarm w.o knocking the pad out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    I swapped to rains last fall the only time I rode my duke 790, and it was seriously super hard to get it on. Took me forever. Can't even imagine swapping in a race.
    so its not just me lol

hmmmm......