Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Yamaha ABS Brakes options and questions

Yamaha ABS Brakes options and questions

Before this gets into a ABS vs NonAbs debate I am not opposed to having abs on my bike. I can see it being a very useful tool for street bikes for most of us.

My MT07 has abs. I believe they all have it from the factory. As far as I can tell most bikes seem to come with abs standard now. I'm fine with that. What I'm not liking is the vague lever feel I have on my new bike. The bike stops fine but I'm not getting the feed back at the lever I like. I don't know if that is due to the components (master, lines, ect) or if that is something inherent on the abs system itself.

I feel like I have two options. Both probably cost around the same.

1.) I can ditch the abs brake system altogether. That would be a new master, new lines, and a abs delete module. Benefits of this is I drop a few pounds off the bike which isn't a big deal since its my street ride with some track days and I don't have to deal with the abs system in the future. The drawback is I lose the abs function. If the module fails who knows what the bike does.

2.) I can keep the abs system but change around some of the hardware such as the master cylinder and lines. Benefits are I still have the abs system. The ecu remains happy since it's receiving all the signals it should be from factory components. The drawback from what I understand is after I change out the master and the lines I need to be able to activate the abs module somehow to complete the bleed. I can do this two ways. Try to get the abs system to activate while riding the bike. Not sure I like that option as it elevates the risk to tossing the bike on the ground. Other way is to plug into the bike and have a computer cycle the system. Probably the best way. I've seen the hardware for sale for not a lot of money but the catch is I need the software and that is available to Yamaha dealers only. I don't think there is anyway around that. The unknown with going this way is I don't know if this will solve the issue I'm trying to resolve. If it doesn't then I'm back to option 1.

Does anyone know for sure what is the method most likely to work?

If option 2 is a go then does anyone have access to the Yamaha stuff to cycle the abs module?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Re: Yamaha ABS Brakes options and questions

Put the bike up on stands, click it into gear, and grab the front brake and see if it'll trip?

Re: Yamaha ABS Brakes options and questions

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Put the bike up on stands, click it into gear, and grab the front brake and see if it'll trip?
    Might work but to activate the system itself (get it ready) the wheels need to be rolling a little. When the bike starts up the abs light is on until you get rolling a few feet and then it's good until the bike is shutoff again.

James