Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

ZX11 clutch question

ZX11 clutch question

I`m juststarting to notice a bit of slip in the higher gears I really noticed it for the first time just recently. Then again while doing a post winter shakedown yesterday. I noticed a bit of slip near redline in 4th gear I think. I`m pretty sure its gonna be the clutch but I`m still hoping it`s related to the clutch slave or fluid. Has anyone done a clutch rebuild on a ZX 11 or other big Kawi inline. I`m looking for any info I can get. Are there any special tools I need? Do I have to take out the clutch basket or can I remove the disks, springs ,washers, and bearing/pressure plate etc without removing it. Should I get a kit with springs,friction discs and steel disks? Any particular brand? EBC seems to have a pretty reasonable one. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.I `m trying to avoid benching the bike at a dealer for who knows how long and @ $90.00 an hour.Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: ZX11 clutch question

i just redid my clutch on my vmax, i assume the theory is similar except i have a spring plate where you have probably a plate with individual springs. I have an inner basket holder you could borrow for a couple days if i don't have to pull my clutch (i have a seal leaking).

i had my plates blasted and got new friction, the EBC kit might come with everything you need, and i've heard good things.

also typically when a slave is leaking or something it won't fully disengage not the other way around.

do u have access to a service manual?

Yes on the manual. I`m still researching things a bit. If the clutch slave is sticking it could cause a delay in the clutch engaging but my instincts tell me it`s really the clutch. I was on it hard when this happened so it`s the plates the discs or a combo of both either way I think a kit from EBC is the way to go. Thanks for the offer on the basket tool. When and if I need it I`ll PM you and thanks for the input on this.

the biggest pain for my clutch rebuild was scraping the old gasket material. some vaseline on one or both mating surfaces will keep it from sticking (as badly) next time.

instead of using an inner basket holder you can also put the gear in 5th and have someone on the rear brake. either way should work fine...

if you wanted a second set of hands/eyes i could probably swing up that way too sometime if interested.

I just read the service manual twice. No basket tool and the only "special" equipment is a Kawasaki silicone sealant for the clutch cover. It also recommends I change one of the nuts used to hold everything together. I`ll stop by the dealer for that part and some quick tips if they have any. I don`t want to jinx myself but this looks pretty straightforward to me. I understand shit happens but........

i agree, should be pretty easy. let us know how it goes.

Just read things for a third time and found the clutch tool in the service manual. Maybe I should read it again then go to bed huh?

haha let me know either way

Kawasaki clutch tool 57001-1243 Anybody have one????????? Looks kinda like the motion pro tool for clutch baskets.

i have the motion pro one.