Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

#117, Round 3, the 91st LRRS Classic weekend

#117, Round 3, the 91st LRRS Classic weekend

I've been slacking on the race reports this year but I figured it's about time I start them up again. As usual, sorry about the long read.

Nothing too epic Friday. Bike and modern sidecar practice. Last year I’d ridden with Marcus Poisson as his monkey and he invited me back. It’s a borrowed rig for Marcus with a lot of differences between it and the rigs he’s been running so we both had a lot of learning/adapting. My only race on Friday was the sidecar race and we didn’t finish last. Apparently there are usually two modern sidecar classes and ours, being from 1978, would put us in Formula 2. It was kind of a bummer that they combined the classes for the Classic as there was no way for us to be competitive but it was still wicked fun. That’s my excuse anyway.

Saturday. The big day of the weekend for me. Practice went well enough. Then the chaos began. Back to back to back races (4,5 and 6). Yeesh. Joel Robie, Sheppo and RSP really came through for me here. P-89 was the first race. It went quite well and I picked up a first place finish. Back to the RSP garage where Joel grabbed my bike and took charge of that for me. Bill Coolahan threw his warmers on it while I was away. A quick boot change, ditch the kneepucks and I was off on the sidecar. Again, a not-last finish but we were starting to mesh as a team. Energy conservation was really what I was working on this race as I usually got wicked arm pump as the monkey. I did well enough. Back to hot pit. Joel’s waiting with my bike, warmed up and Sheppo has my boots and pucks. Heath passes me some badly needed liquids and I’m off for Ultralight Superbike. My most competitive race. Not only do I have a typically bad launch but with all the friggin motards I can’t hear my bike. Instead of short shifting I bounce it off the rev limiter in first and second costing me gobbs of acceleration. Into turn 1 I'm somewhere around 8th. I clear one rider in turn 1 and another into 3 and then start slowly picking off other riders for the next two laps as Adam Clark and Rick Breen slowly open up a gap up front. On lap 3 I clear the last of the other riders and crank out my best lap of the race catching up to the leaders. Just as I catch them in turn 3 Breen goes down and now it’s just Adam and I. When we hit the front straight I motor by Adam as apparently he was being haunted by an electrical gremlin that was cutting power. Now it’s my race to lose. I give it everything I have but my lap times slowly begin to rise. I didn’t make a pass when I should have on lapped traffic and not long afterwards Matt Gendron goes by on the next to the last lap. He threw down a great lap and totally dusted me. My second place finish got me to within one point of being the ULSB points leader though.

Sunday I went out for bike practice and “played” with my teammates Larson and Clark. Sidecar practice was a bit more eventful as during the checkered flag lap in turn 1a I apparently zigged as the rig zagged and I slipped off the sidecar. I kept my hands where they needed to be and pulled myself back onto the rig before turn 2. Marty Hanlon, who always seems to be in the right spot for me, managed to get a couple pics of me flailing alongside the rig. I’ll share them when I get them. The race was a lot less eventful although we were able to keep one of the Formula 1 rigs in sight as our speed is beginning to pick up.

The obligatory thanks go out to my Low Down Racing team/family, Emily Butler for the fresh inspiration, the Butlers for another awesome BBQ, RSP for the garage help, Sheppo for stepping in to help, the corner workers for not having to help me but being there just in case (Bill) and Mother Nature for giving us a weekend of incredible weather.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Re: #117, Round 3, the 91st LRRS Classic weekend

Good seeing ya and talking John! Keep up the good work! Next round we talk about Daytona.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great job John! I was so impressed with your stamina on Saturday. I am completely blown away by your Race 6 knowing how much you put into 4 and 5. As usual you left it all on the pavement and put on a good show.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

You're nuts.

I couldn't imagine holding onto a sidecar and then going to race....never mind back to back like that. Well done sir!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

John, It's my pleasure to help where and when I can. You are flying out there and look great. I love the new color on the HAWK. It's always a pleasure seeing you and the crew at Low Down Racing.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Way to go John! I see the bump to EX is working out fine. Someday I'm gonna try that sidecar thing, you make it look fun. Glad to hear Joel could help you (because both of you didn't have to help me!)

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

You are an inspiration John. Unbelievable the amount of stamina you showed running those races with the proficiency you did. It is bittersweet watching your performance, super happy for your success and bummed to not get the chance to race with you this year. I knew it was going to be a challenge to stay with you this year, you have found a groove and continue to progress. The goat is a force to be reckoned with for the foreseeable future. Rage on my friend and enjoy the ride.

You looked smooth as always out there John!! Smooth=fast, fast=smooth
    In my mind's eye I picture your body position to try and emulate....of course in reality I don't think my old body could even get in that position.

Hahaa!!! Awesome read. Congrats John.

Paul_E_D

3 races back to back!? Are you out of your mind?!

Again, thank you for all your help on the Hawk.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Congrats on a great weekend John! Stroke it!

I think I speak for all of RSP when I say that we are glad to help out in any way that we can. Plus I did get to finally take a close look at your bike and as one OCD builder to another, I am VERY impressed with your ride. It is super clean and nicely done. Well done, sir. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    Stroke it!
    Yeah I was standing at the urinal when someone told me that on Saturday. I'm still laughing thinking of what it must have sounded like to someone that was using a stall and didn't know the back story...

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
    You are an inspiration John. Unbelievable the amount of stamina you showed running those races with the proficiency you did. It is bittersweet watching your performance, super happy for your success and bummed to not get the chance to race with you this year. I knew it was going to be a challenge to stay with you this year, you have found a groove and continue to progress. The goat is a force to be reckoned with for the foreseeable future. Rage on my friend and enjoy the ride.

how are you kidding Bill. You are jsut trying to find areaeas of oppertunities to get around John!!!!!! LOL

I heard a new nickname for John. BillyGoat

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Yup, apparently Marcus and I are now to be known as ET and the Billy Goat.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing

Marty got the photos!!!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing

Oh yeah, he got a great shot of me looking like I know what I'm doing too!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing