Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

#121 Round 3

#121 Round 3

I'm grateful to have been able to race during the Classic weekend, and I had a good time overall... It was my first race weekend as part of Low Down Racing, so I wanted to get some good results for my team and I managed to pull it off, beating my personal best lap time in the process, and demonstrating to myself that my approach to progress is working. The races were Novice MWGP on friday, and Novice GTU on Sat.. I left the track early Sun. morning, skipping the Superbike race so I could be w/my kids on Father's day, but I must admit it was a difficult decision (more on that later)... So here's how it went down for me this weekend:

Group 8 practice (Fri):
    I like the fact that I barely ride now in between races because it really builds up and I can't wait to hit the track. I went out w/some particular goals in mind, namely to pick up where I left off w/my progress in t1 coming off the straight, getting through 3 cleanly, and working on some of the back parts of the track like 9,10, and 11. It usually occurs to me each time on the track that I can go faster thru certain sections, and basically I just make it a point to see what I can do in each of those areas. So practice went as planned, and I was able to get even better into 1, and I got my knee down coming out of 10. I also had new gearing on my bike which too some getting used too, but ultimately it helped me once I adjusted my shifting points. So practice went well and I was able to pull off my fastest lap yet after getting thru some traffic w/a 1:23.3.

Fri Race 4 (nov. MWGP):
    Man, I really wanted to win this race... after winning the 1st one, I kind of decided that I wanted to make the gp "my" race and take all the points. Then after crashing and taking 10th in the 2nd round, I just really wanted to come back and win. I was gridded on the outside, front row of the middleweights, w/the heavyweight bikes leaving on the 1st wave. I got a great launch but hit neutral when I went to shift into 2nd gear! I thought I was going to get rammed, but was able to get back into gear and charged down the straight. I made some traffic for myself by missing my shift, so the first half of the race I had to chase people down and get by them, which made for some interesting moments and some good excitement which has been missing from most of the races I've been in. Most of the time the passes were easy, but on a few the riders were unpredictable and I really had to just be really aggressive and go for it not knowing if they were going to change their line suddenly. The last middleweight I passed was Chris Bouchard on the Ducati 848. I came up on him in the bowl, saw that he was taking a tight inside line so I carried more speed around the outside and made the pass. Props to him for holding his line and being predictable. I managed to get by everyone including the 1st wave except for 1 bike who I chased down the front straight as we crossed the finish line. I wanted to see who it was and the results showed that it was a rider on a 600 who must have left in the wrong wave? I don't know what happened w/that, but I took 1st place in Nov. MWGP w/a best lap of 1:23.4 or .5? I can't remember, but it was slower than my fast practice lap by a few 10ths.

Sat. Race 6 (Nov. GTU):
    Having done practice and the gp on fri., I decided to skip sat. practice and rest up for the gt. This would be my 1st gt on a dry track and it was hot! I hydrated myself and watched the tower for lap times in group 8. A couple
    26's, a 25... no problem I thought... then, a 22.9! Who was this cat? It was a name I didn't recognize but I knew I would have my work cut out for me. I actually got excited because I feel like when there are people to chase or dice with, I'll go faster. I can race other riders better than the clock, just out of competetiveness I guess? So I got suited up, drank a lot of water, and when it was time I hit the track. I had no clue who this dude Mike Langlitz was but I wanted to beat him and improve my times doing so. After lining up in the wrong spot on the grid, I quickly corrected myself as the 1st wave(gto) left. I was again on the outside of the grid, and just got an awesome start... I drag raced someone the whole way when all of a sudden I heard him hit the rev limiter and keep it there... he disappeared behind me as I went into 1 in 1st place. I just focused on catching the 1st wave, and as much as I kept telling myself to pace myself for the 20 minutes, it just wasn't happening. I pushed harder and harder until I eventually passed all the gto guys. I never saw Langlitz, but later found out he lost some time in 3 when he almost lost it. Other than a few slides, including a scary one coming into 1 where it felt like my front tire slid at least a foot sideways, it was a pretty uneventful race. I just peeled off lap after lap as fast as I could go w/out trying to work on anything or change anything... My wife was watching for this one and I didn't want to crash again! I managed to win, and it felt great to have completed a gt on such a hot day. I proved to myself that I'm not in all that bad of shape, and I actually found some more areas where I know I can go faster. After checking times, I was a little dissapointed that it was showing a 24 as my fast lap, but now that I'm home the times show that I did 23's? I don't know what's going on w/that, but it was pissing me off at the track. I'm relieved to see I didn't go slower than friday!

So... No Sunday Race?:
    Here's the deal... after our race on Sat. Langlitz came over and introduced himself and explained that he had an incident in T3 but was looking forward to racing w/me for sun. He was a really cool guy, very polite and sportsman-like, so I took his challenge seriously. I really wanted to race him today, but a few things stopped that from happening. For one, my teammates like to stay up late and make a bunch of noise so I got no sleep, but more importantly I was already thinking on sat. that I missed my kids and wanted to be with them on Father's day. If I stayed for race 9, I wouldn't get home before they went to bed, and then I'd be at work all day mon., so it was a hard decision. I told Mike Langlitz that I might not do the race, and he tried to talk me into it, so I considered it all night. In the morning my wife had to leave, and as she did she gave me some Father's day cards from my kids, and one had a voice recording of my 2-year old daughter and that just did it for me. I had no sleep, no more clean clothes, and I just wanted to come home and relax w/my kids. On the ride home I kept wanting to go back and just race, but I know I made the right decision... it's always that, "just one more... " that gets you, so I'm happy to have made progress, pick up 2 more wins, and to have found more spots on track to improve on.

I'd like to thank my team Low Down Racing for all the support, LRRS for not kicking me out Sat. night for being associated w/LDR!, and seriously... Rick Doucette donated some trophies so I actually had something to bring home and let my kids play with. I thought that was cool, and really appreciated it. See you all next round!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Re: #121 Round 3

Good read Brian. You should talk yourself into coming up next Monday for Boston Moto, since you skipped out on the last race....Get some extra practice in.
    Congrats, and happy fathers day.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Good job Brian, and I can understand your decisions, both from the kids standpoint (my daughter is 3 and I hate going even 24 hrs without seeing her) and the lack of sleep part (I used to pit with the same crew, same results -- lack of sleep to say the least). Keep up the good work!

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Good read Brian. You should talk yourself into coming up next Monday for Boston Moto, since you skipped out on the last race....Get some extra practice in.
    Congrats, and happy fathers day.
    If there is anyway I can get out of work I'll seriously consider it... I've been wanting to do one of their track days.

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Good job Brian, and I can understand your decisions, both from the kids standpoint (my daughter is 3 and I hate going even 24 hrs without seeing her) and the lack of sleep part (I used to pit with the same crew, same results -- lack of sleep to say the least). Keep up the good work!
    Yeah, those guys are really good to me, but I may just have to move my tent across the paddock so at night I can get some sleep and not be there when security comes and threatens to kick all of us out! Fuck... I'm probably the most quiet person at the goddamn track and I don't even drink so it'd be a shame for me to get thrown out just for being over there

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Buy mondo's other td still available. get in the door a lil cheaper.
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ml#post1064524

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Fuck... I'm probably the most quiet person at the goddamn track and I don't even drink so it'd be a shame for me to get thrown out just for being over there
    Lol I hear ya, I don't drink either. I got really good at falling asleep with high noise levels. Earplugs are a good thing sometimes too. First time I've heard of security getting involved in one of their excapades. Must be they decided to take it to a whole new level this year for the Classic.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I just wanted to come home and relax w/my kids. On the ride home I kept wanting to go back and just race, but I know I made the right decision... it's always that, "just one more... "
    there will always be one more; I made the same decision on Sunday, and it was a good one for me.

nice work this weekend, I'll stop by next time and say hi.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Good read brother. Congrats! Hope to get to ride with you at the Bomo day!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

took you awhile to catch me in the GT race . I had a front row seat for Mike's incident in T3. ended up being pretty much nothing. kinda sucks cause I think the lap before that was my PB chasing him.

a few of us were talking this morning, you wouldn't have won the race today. we had a plan. jump the start, and box you out. 3 of them were gonna run 3 wide the whole time and I was gonna zig zag back and forth to keep you behind us. it was either that or tell registration that you broke your ankle then go over and break your ankle.

I understand the decision to go home to your kids. it was BRUTAL waiting like 6 hours from practice to the race.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Brian,

Great weekend and write up. Major respect for passing on the final race of the weekend to spend time with your kids. I don't have any myself but I can see the way kids look up to their Dads, and Moms too, and know that your kids truly do appreciate it!

Joel

You're doing awesome man! It was great pitting next to ya, see you around later this season.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Thumbs up Re: #121 Round 3

Fri Race 4 (nov. MWGP):
    Man, I really wanted to win this race... after winning the 1st one, I kind of decided that I wanted to make the gp "my" race and take all the points. Then after crashing and taking 10th in the 2nd round, I just really wanted to come back and win. I was gridded on the outside, front row of the middleweights, w/the heavyweight bikes leaving on the 1st wave. I got a great launch but hit neutral when I went to shift into 2nd gear! I thought I was going to get rammed, but was able to get back into gear and charged down the straight. I made some traffic for myself by missing my shift, so the first half of the race I had to chase people down and get by them, which made for some interesting moments and some good excitement which has been missing from most of the races I've been in. Most of the time the passes were easy, but on a few the riders were unpredictable and I really had to just be really aggressive and go for it not knowing if they were going to change their line suddenly. The last middleweight I passed was Chris Bouchard on the Ducati 848. I came up on him in the bowl, saw that he was taking a tight inside line so I carried more speed around the outside and made the pass. Props to him for holding his line and being predictable. I managed to get by everyone including the 1st wave except for 1 bike who I chased down the front straight as we crossed the finish line. I wanted to see who it was and the results showed that it was a rider on a 600 who must have left in the wrong wave? I don't know what happened w/that, but I took 1st place in Nov. MWGP w/a best lap of 1:23.4 or .5? I can't remember, but it was slower than my fast practice lap by a few 10ths.
    Brian, thanks for the kudos . It was a great race! As far as the pass in 6, though I haven't been racing long it was one of the cleanest, If not The cleanest pass I have seen. ( as far as novice goes ) You deserved the win buddy after fighting your way up from the back.

Props to you!

Red face Re: #121 Round 3

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    took you awhile to catch me in the GT race . I had a front row seat for Mike's incident in T3. ended up being pretty much nothing. kinda sucks cause I think the lap before that was my PB chasing him.

a few of us were talking this morning, you wouldn't have won the race today. we had a plan. jump the start, and box you out. 3 of them were gonna run 3 wide the whole time and I was gonna zig zag back and forth to keep you behind us. it was either that or tell registration that you broke your ankle then go over and break your ankle.

I understand the decision to go home to your kids. it was BRUTAL waiting like 6 hours from practice to the race.
    That was such a great plan too. lol But something tells me had he been there he would have made it around us anyway.
    ......hahaha

Hope you and your kids had a great day today. See you next round !

Nice job man! And yeah...something about a chainsaw at 3am...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar
    Great job. I see a bump in your future.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Yeah, those guys are really good to me, but I may just have to move my tent across the paddock so at night I can get some sleep and not be there when security comes and threatens to kick all of us out! Fuck... I'm probably the most quiet person at the goddamn track and I don't even drink so it'd be a shame for me to get thrown out just for being over there
    Good writeup....

There is a very valid reason our camper gets set up just a little ways away. You are welcome to set up next to us next race weekend, we are usually in bed by 11, since most of you don't want hungover, sleeping corner marshalls.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    Good writeup....

There is a very valid reason our camper gets set up just a little ways away. You are welcome to set up next to us next race weekend, we are usually in bed by 11, since most of you don't want hungover, sleeping corner marshalls.
    Thanks for the offer and thanks for your work at the track

LRRS am #121