Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

#143 Race Report Round #8 with a twist...

Re: #143 Race Report Round #8 with a twist...

Thanks all for the great wishes. Having never spent time in the hospital save for my wife giving birth to our kids, I was pretty eager to get out. They wanted to keep me in until Tuesday (today). To get out, the Doc required I get off the morphine and get on an oral pain killer, make a lap around the unit on crutches, go up a flight and down a flight of stairs, and take care of the whole bowel movement thing. Saturday night they gave me a 60mg bolus of morphine via a self serve button but I was able to limit my use to 3mg. By 6AM they had pulled the morphine and introduced oxycodon. Around 11ish I got up, took a leak and did my lap around the floor and spent my time on the stairs. I checked out by 1.

Now I'm trying to get cleared to go back to work. They want me out for a minimum of this week with next week being optional. I have to be off the oxy in order to get cleared. I've managed to cut down from 15mg every 4 hours to 5mg every 6 hours but that's getting difficult to maintain with everything tightening up. Yesterday I got out of the house for an hour or so and went with my wife to pick our kids up from school. I wanted to thank Sarah Mullin for all the help while I was laid up in the medical building. Scott, the Tansey's and her helped in packing me up and then shuttled my rig home to Goffstown.

I have some vacation time left and some long term disability insurance through Northwestern Mutual if I need it but would really prefer just to get back to work (engineer, Atrium Medical) if I can get cleared. Assuming I can nix the oxy for a few hours today I'll try to take both the Evo and the Jeep Cherokee for a ride today to see if I can manage the peddles. Jeep should be a tad more comfortable as it's an auto and doesn't come equipped with a 10kg/8kg coilover suspension.

I may also try to swing by Souhegan Valley Motorsports to thank them for all they've done and assess the damage to the bike. I took a look at the suit yesterday and it's a total loss. Ouch. That's going to hurt.

I have a follow up appointment scheduled with the surgeon on Friday so he can check out the stitches and we can discuss if this hardware is staying in long term or not. I'd like to start researching physical therapists a bit; maybe someone geared toward sports therapy if possible. Any recommendations? Lastly, might anyone have some good safe stretches I can do?

Thanks,
    Fitz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I too saw the whole thing from the stairs by 1a and heard you scream before and after. I also saw your wife and the look on her face just brougth back my husbands previous accidents (He was working 2 and saw it as well) and the feeling in the pit of your stomach when someone you love is hurt. I still can't get it out of my mind.

It was very sombering to say the least especially when I found out the driver is a very nice guy and you obviously are as well.
    Heal up and take your meds!! and we wish you a speedy recovery
    Judy

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Fitz,

Glad to hear that you are relatively well!!!!!!!! You are a class act for how you are handling this. It's great to hear that you are able to function at the level you are in such a short time. As others have said, if you need anything do not hesitate to ask, we will help out in any way we can.

Joel

I don't ever want to see that again. Fitz I sent you a PM. Heal up man. You got my number if you need anything. I'll come help you unpack if you need to I'm only minutes away.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Fitz: I was really sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident. Glad you are 'okay' and heal up fast! Hey at least it was the October round... imagine how bummed you'd be if it was April!

Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Fitz: I was really sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident. Glad you are 'okay' and heal up fast! Hey at least it was the October round... imagine how bummed you'd be if it was April!
    Thanks Alex.. I know I know... I should have listened to you and just bagged out of the last weekend. Your logic was sound - "but Fitz, jro isn't even going to be there, why even bother showing up?"

Fitz

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Thanks Alex.. I know I know... I should have listened to you and just bagged out of the last weekend. Your logic was sound - "but Fitz, jro isn't even going to be there, why even bother showing up?"

Fitz
    ahahha. I don't 'quite' recall saying that but I've been known to blackout from time to time... or your meds are kicking in again

Boston --> San Diego

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Hey Fitz,
    I heard this Sunday night down in NJ. I was floored. I felt terrible upon hearing this unfortunate incident. Something out of the realm of racing makes me even feel for all involved. If I think I know who they were I don’t think they will never forget this. They are one of a few that I believe have the biggest heart for all of us racers and TD participants. They are willing to do everything in their power to help us out.

It is very big of you for no ill feeling. You are quite a guy. Heal up quickly.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

how ya feeling man?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    how ya feeling man?
    Shrug... grumpy as all fock.

[insert whiney bitch voice] They took me out of work until the second follow up on the 23rd at a minimum. Been spending time in the garage in 20-30 minute increments trying to assess the damage to the bike. Need to get it to GMD. Pretty sure the frame and rear swingarm are bent. Frame is gouged pretty good, I'm guessing from the bumper of the truck. Rear subframe is junk as are both clip ons and rear sets (left side side credited to my low side). M4 canister is hammerable but the piping is all tweaked and diveted in places. Bodywork is mostly toast. Tank is split on a seam and tank mounts are bent/twisted. Rear rim is rubbing. Unsure if that's due to a bent wheel or a bent swingarm. Leg is... well... a leg and frankly I'm glad to have it. Doubt I'd be so lucky if the bike hadn't been there to absorb the impact. [end whiney bitch voice]

Huge thanks for Oreo for setting me up some motogp vids. They're keeping me sane and driving me to at least look at the bike. Otherwise I'd be saying f-it and throwing in the towel for next year.

As for health insurance, I'm awfully glad I have it, but they've already started asking questions based on the accident report that was filed by the track. I have no idea how the hell this whole thing is going to work out other than me losing some serious dough for being out of work...

Fitz

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I don't have much to add from what's previously been said, but absolutely glad to hear that you're at least on the road to recovery. Best of luck with the road back and hope to see you back out there in 2010.

CCS/LRRS #83

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

how ya feelin Fitz? you up and walking yet?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    how ya feelin Fitz? you up and walking yet?
    I wish. These crutches are a pain in the ass.

Getting better every day.

Fitz

If you can use a cane try it

i used one for months and it helped alot and i didnt have to use the PITA crutches

hope youre doing well buddy

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post
    If you can use a cane try it

i used one for months and it helped alot and i didnt have to use the PITA crutches

hope youre doing well buddy
    Eventually I'd love to, but I'm not ready to even switch to one crutch yet. Swelling around the patella is significant and the bone still has movement at the break.

The guys over at www.dentsport.com are building me a cane as we speak.

Quick question about your injury if I may. Did you have titanium hardware installed in your femur? What did you decide in regards to whether or not to remove it after 1 year? 3 years?

Thanks,
    Fitz

If it means anything, I have hardware in my leg from 8-or-so years ago. It's still in there because I didn't find it as bad as people made it out to be in addition to the fact that I hate being "down" so another operation to remove it was never a consideration.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Bergs View Post
    If it means anything, I have hardware in my leg from 8-or-so years ago. It's still in there because I didn't find it as bad as people made it out to be in addition to the fact that I hate being "down" so another operation to remove it was never a consideration.

Just my .02
    Awesome. Thanks Bergs. That's what I was hoping to hear. The operation to take it out would put me down for another 4-8 months assuming no complications. Definitely not something I'm looking forward to and will avoid at all costs.

All I want is 25-30 years of relatively pain free existence so that I can ski race, bike race, car race, cycle, wrestle with the kids and get freaky with the wife.

Fitz

Eventually I'd love to, but I'm not ready to even switch to one crutch yet. Swelling around the patella is significant and the bone still has movement at the break.

The guys over at www.dentsport.com are building me a cane as we speak.

Quick question about your injury if I may. Did you have titanium hardware installed in your femur? What did you decide in regards to whether or not to remove it after 1 year? 3 years?

Thanks,
    Fitz
    My cane use was for hip injury, no hardware or real invasive surgery. arthroscopy took care of the injury but i might need hip reconstruction within the next few years if i continue to have problems with my hip. I have shallow hip sockets and was told that once an injury occurs it can persist and get worse until the hip cant continue to function. but this is worse case scenario. best case is arthritis for the rest of my life.

Alicia has 2 screws in her shin right below her patella and they told her that hardware removal sacrifices bone strength... so the option is there but from what they told us its another recovery in itself so they suggested against it.

Awesome. Thanks Bergs. That's what I was hoping to hear.
    Well, before you start popping the champagne, just know that it wasn't without some sacrifice to my comfort for a while after once I was able to walk again. There were some very achy days for the first couple years but in the end I don't regret leaving the hardware in.

Your results may vary so gauge your patience level with consideration to time.

+1 bergs I have screws in my ankle from almost 10 years ago... the doc said if they didn't bother me or start backing themselves out there was no reason to remove them.

They never cause me any trouble.

I wish they set off metal detectors, I had a note and everything, I thought that would be cool.... but they don't. bummer.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

We'd all like to see you at the drunkathon. rent a wheelchair if ya gotta

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Yeah Fitz. I'll be your personal chauffeur if it means you'll be able to go. I'll also give you a piggy-back to and from the venue, should you require it.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

Maybe we can get a couple of guys to lift him......................

I'm going to try to make an appearance at the drunkathon. Hope I'm on a cane by then verses the damn crutches. Thanks for the ride/piggyback offers but I think I'll manage... not to mention I have ~30 pounds on you Bergs.

Fitz

Just found and read thru this thread. How is your insurance stuff working out? Reason I ask is I bought my policy this year thru Brandon Parrish @ www.ridersurance.com

He sells only "non-racing exempt" health insurance policies. If you are still in that unsure of how this is going down stage.. maybe a converstaion with him would help with some info from the insurance side of things?

Let me know if you need his info.... but its right on his page... including his cell phone. He is a WERA/CCS/ASRA/AMA racer... a good guy and will answer your questions (if you have any)

Scott

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast