Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

#152 Round 6 race report w/video (first amateur races!)

#152 Round 6 race report w/video (first amateur races!)

It was a short race "weekend" for me because of work, so I only managed to get time off for 2 Sunday races, Unlimited Supersport and Superbike. I was very excited to get back to the track, even though it would be my first time racing with the Amateurs and sharing the track with the experts.
    I didn't roll into NHMS until about 7 on Saturday night so tires, registration and tech would have to wait until Sunday morning. It was a scramble....no scratch that, it was a clusterf@ck. I missed first practice since I couldn't get my tires put on until about 7:30. I tried as hard as I could to get the bike together and through tech in order to turn at least a few laps before group 2 went out. It didn't happen. I was pissed and that pretty much set the mood for the rest of the morning. I hadn't been on the bike since June, so I knew I'd be rusty, and missing track time was a going to be a huge disadvantage. Oh well. I made it out to 2nd practice, only to lay it down gently going into T3 (AGAIN). This time due to cold tires and just not feeling comfortable. Yay, I completed 5 laps, that should help me get back into the rhythm

At this point I almost wanted to pack up and leave. It was one of "those" days. My buddy Chris (also pitting in T11) was having an AWESOME rookie weekend, so it helped lighten the mood and took my mind off the negatives. Congrats to you Chris, BTW!!!

Race 5: Unlimited Supersport
    I gridded in 6C...which is pretty much at the very back of the grid. I honestly didn't even care. I was ready to write off the race and treat this as my practice in preparation for my second race. The flag drops for our third wave and we're off! I get out pretty good and manage to pick my way throught the field to finish 6th, and post a new race PB of 1:19.3! I'm tickled. I'll take that any day!

Race 10: Unlimited Superbike
    After my first race I'm feeling loose and in the right mindset. I'm gridded dead last in 3A, but at least that puts me towards the inside line going into 1. I get a decent start and it's game on! This race has probably been the most fun I've ever had on track. I made my way through the field to finish 5th, but it was the journey there that made it so much fun! I sparred with Brad Erling and Kevin Patterson for almost the entire race until the last couple laps, where novice traffic got in the way and opened up passing opportunities for me to get closer to the front.

Summary
    1)There is absolutely NO substitute for track time, whether it be practice, race, or track days. I don't know about you all, but this guy gets rusty quick!
    2)Yellow plate racing is a whole different ballgame!! Damn near everybody gets off the line well, and it's near impossible to get away from the pack (unless you're like Eric Wood and then you belong with the phenoms with white plates). The competition is tight and not very many opportunities to get by other riders.
    3)Since I mentioned Eric Wood, I'll say he is so friggin smooth and fast, it makes me sick. He passed by me and another rider in front of me on the outside of 1A like we were on a parade lap. He was past me before I could register the Penguin on his leathers. Hopefully someone got a picture of the exact moment he was behind me so I could tell everyone that was "the time I got past Eric in the chicane"!!!!!

Overall, I had a great time with everyone on and off the track. Thanks to everyone invloved!

Enjoy the vid before the copyright nazis put the hammer down for the music!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tropicoz; 09-08-12 at 02:39 PM.

Re: #152 Round 6 race report w/video (first amateur races!)

Damn Rich, can't ask for any better considering your hiatus. Impressive how quickly you ramped up!

Nice round...

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

<--- Brad Erling here. I was wondering who jumped in front of me through 11 & 12 when we got in traffic! Very nice move, I made the mistake of getting in line and losing a few seconds through that section. Luckily I got Patterson back on the last lap when he hit some traffic to finish 6th. What a great race.

Are you gonna be there in october?

LRRS #313

You should do middleweight and heavyweight races as the grids are bigger and more fun.... or are you in a 1000?

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Yea he's on a 1000

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Good job Rich 19.3 on no track time. This guy.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

you weren't dead last on the grid for SB. I was. and outside is better as I show you by coming around you in 1 I'm not sure if I let off going into 3 or if you were just stronger but you certainly had me up the hill as I got into a little fight with Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    <--- Brad Erling here. I was wondering who jumped in front of me through 11 & 12 when we got in traffic! Very nice move, I made the mistake of getting in line and losing a few seconds through that section. Luckily I got Patterson back on the last lap when he hit some traffic to finish 6th. What a great race.

Are you gonna be there in october?
    Yeah man it was fun following you and Kevin for a bit. You guys were leaving me until we ran into traffic. That's probably the only reason I got around you! Unfortunately, this was my my last round of racing for this year. No more time off from work. I really really want to make a better effort for next year and see you guys out there on a more regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    You should do middleweight and heavyweight races as the grids are bigger and more fun.... or are you in a 1000?
    I'm still on the 1000. With any luck I'll have a 600 for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    you weren't dead last on the grid for SB. I was. and outside is better as I show you by coming around you in 1 I'm not sure if I let off going into 3 or if you were just stronger but you certainly had me up the hill as I got into a little fight with Jim.
    Bastard!!! It sucked being back there either way, and then when you came around me going into 1....that made it worse, nice drive around me though!!! I think you had Jim in front of you going into 3, while I was towards the outside, so you probably had to get on the brakes sooner than me. The big motor charges pretty well up through 4, but a lap or two later I passed Brad going into 3 and spun the rear going up the hill. It was predictable, but still near shit myself! Needless to say he buzzed right back past me into 5.

Nice write up Rich. It was great seeing you again as always. The new paint job is sweet!!!!! See you next season.