Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2015 Big Fish Small Pond endurance race #763 The Dark Side report

2015 Big Fish Small Pond endurance race #763 The Dark Side report

So, the team of Joshua Coombs, Paul Duval, Shawn Spear, Jake Vader, Jeff Vader and I reassembled to attempt to take back the Big Fish Small Pond championship that we lost last year for the first time since we started competing in this race back in 2012. The race, organized by the USCRA, is a 3 hour endurance race.

I was the first rider so I started the race. Grid positions were determined by what Johnny B calls "frontier style", in other words, the "winner" of the warmup lap gets the first grid position. Well, I made sure to "win" the warmup lap and as I slowed down, Johnny B pointed out 1A for me. I decided that for winning "warmup", I deserved a better grid position so I parked myself in 1D.

Now some teams were slow getting going from the pits, so I ended up sitting on the grid for a while on a hot sunny day while we waited for the stragglers. Keeping an eye on my temp gauge, I decided to shut down the motor when temps reach a critical level. The plan was to quickly bump start the bike just before Johnny B throws the green. Well, the plan didn't work. When the grid was ready, I tried to do a quick run and start, but the bike didn't start. Green flag waves, the field blasts by me and I'm left sitting on a quiet RS125.

I immediately start running again and finally get the bike started. I now need to make up for this huge mistake, so I go chasing after the whole field who left me behind. When I start getting close to T1, I keep on accelerating like I should be doing on a 125 while I watch the field bunch up and slow down as they enter T1. I setup for the outside, and manage to get by quite a few riders in T1. Flick over for 1A and pick off a few more. Get a few more exiting 2 and outbrake some into 3. As I climb 4, I'm relieved to have gotten back a few positions, and start looking for the leaders. Into the bowl, I'm not seeing anyone in front of me. "Wow, the leaders must have really taken off!" I think to myself. By the tree house, around 9, down into 10, still not seeing anyone in front of me, 11, 11a, 12, and I look down the front strait and still no one is sight. "Am I leading this thing?!?" Since the race consists of classes with varying speeds, I quickly catch up and start lapping riders. As I catch up and pass lappers, I'm still wondering if I have already passed everyone or if a few fast riders are ahead out of sight and lengthening the gap.

Getting close to 20 laps into this thing, I get the pit in signal. Time to come in, swap riders and find out what's actually going on. When I finally roll into our pit area and get off the bike, I ask if we are leading. I get an enthusiastic "Yes!" So, that means I started in last place and had passed everyone before reaching the bowl! That was both my worse and best start so far in my racing career!

Since we are racing on my bike, I make the executive decision that I'll be the one riding to take the checkered at the end, so I let the other riders cycle through for the middle 2 hours, mostly without incident.* At about 20 minutes from the end, I hop on the bike for my second and last session, with a healthy multi-lap lead. I take things easy and bring The Dark Side's #763 machine to victory lane.

Big thank you to the team: Paul, Shawn and Jake for riding; Josh for scoring; Jeff for crew chiefing and Neil Hoare for helping out in the pits.

* we did receive a 30 second penalty. Apparently, one of our riders *cough* PD *cough*, passed on a waving yellow...

2015 Big Fish Small Pond endurance race #763 The Dark Side report-2015-06-13_bigfish_checkered-jpg

2015 Big Fish Small Pond endurance race #763 The Dark Side report-2015-06-13_bigfish_winners_with_ed_fisher-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Big Fish Small Pond endurance race #763 The Dark Side report-2015-06-13_bigfish_winners_with_ed_fisher-jpg   2015 Big Fish Small Pond endurance race #763 The Dark Side report-2015-06-13_bigfish_checkered-jpg  

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Re: 2015 Big Fish Small Pond endurance race #763 The Dark Side report

Good times Roland! Thanks for the bike and all the laughs. Jeff, thanks for crewing and grilling the best rib eyes ever. Kurlon, for counting down the laps.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Most excellent guys. Congrats.

Glad to hear you kept it upright trying to catch the "leaders" Roland! I'm gonna have all sorts of questions for you next round. Congrats to you and your team, I'd love to hear their reports too.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Who beat you guys last year?!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Lifer

Congratulations to you guys. Very nice racing! Your pit was running like clockwork.

That was both some of the most and least exciting racing I've seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Who beat you guys last year?!
    I don't remember who was on the team, but it was USCRA riders on a Ducati. That was a nail biting finish. We had Jake Vader out (I think) chasing down the Ducati. Every lap, he was gaining about 5 seconds on them but we ran out of time before we could catch them. We finished on the same lap, about 20 seconds behind.

This year, we finished many laps ahead. 99 laps for us and 91 for the second place team IIRC? Kurlon can confirm.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    This year, we finished many laps ahead. 99 laps for us and 91 for the second place team IIRC? Kurlon can confirm.
    Correct, 99 laps for Darkside over the course of two hours and forty-five minutes., we didn't hit 100+ due to multiple red-flags this year. 841 clocked in 91 laps on an FZR400, one of three out there for the event. I need to poke at it as it's got a distinctly different exhaust note compared to others, almost R1 like in it's staccato...

Last year the leader of the winning team is one of the gents who helped shape LRRS's P89 rule structure, Mike something. He's why Hawks and big Ducs are in, my hotrod 400 isn't.

Last edited by Kurlon; 06-15-15 at 09:01 AM.

It did sound strange! I was wondering if it had a different motor shoehorned in there!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

that report was worth it just for the first lap, nice work!

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128