Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Am #122 brady round 4 report

Am #122 brady round 4 report

Only Saturday for me this round as our four year old's birthday was Sunday. My preferred races were back to back, the 20 minute GTL followed by F50 Lights. I pondered my survival chances all week, put on my big girl panties and entered both.

Saturday race 3 Am GTL: I was gridded second (1B) after several fast guys bumped to expert, and told myself to save something for race 4. I got a good start, held 2nd into T1 behind Brett Larson but was in 3rd as we finished lap 1.

I felt fast but started getting passed anyway, hate it when that happens . I can usuallly manage a 4th or 5th in the GTL when the young punks start to wheeze, but that wasn't happening this time. Lou Peck went flying by a few laps in, and then things started to feel just a bit off. The front seemed bouncy into T3 and out of T2 and T10 (was I riding stiff, or should I change the year-and-a-half old fork oil?). The rear also started squirming exiting T2, up T4, and exiting T6 even when I wasn't on the apron (WTF, I have to buy more than one set of tires this season?). Fortunately Lou Peck took my mind off these existential questions by scrambling like a squirrel away from T12 while his bike spun like a top right in front of me. I checked up, missed them both, and we were red flagged a few laps later. I didn't mind the break, and a big thanks to team RSP, Pete Gaborio and others who came onto pre-grid with water for anyone who needed it.

We regridded in our original spots, not entirely fair but maybe there's no easy way to regrid by race position. I got another good start, stayed in second into T1 behind Brett Larson, but a lap or two later saw him tumbling outside of T1. Then most of the same buggers that passed me in the first half went by again. I had a rear slide between T1 and 1A, then a big slide out of T12 that popped me out of the seat, and it was time to chill a bit. Jake Vader and Bill Morey got by a few laps from the end (I used to be able to keep them behind me, what's with everyone getting faster? ), and I started to miss downshifts. Last lap I missed one into T11, banged it down late in T12 totally screwing my line and drive out and lost a final spot to #109 John Dorans Jr. Finished 8th of 17 starters, would have been 10th without the crashers. Turns out there were six riders ahead of me all turning 1:22's, but I was the last one in that line with a best lap of 1:22.85, only a tenth off my PB.

Race 4 Am F50 Lights: I rode direct to pregrid after the GTL and Sal's wife Jill saved my butt by bringing me water. I gridded second again next to #938 Mike Wankum on pole, but our wave leaves with the Am HWSS bikes ahead of us which makes the start even more fun . Mike stayed in front on the start but had to check up at T1 as the HW conga line formed. Fortunately I had room to go outside and pick up a few places through T1 and 1A and I thought I was home free. Unfortunately, new Am #130 Ben Travisano on his Monster 696 got by me somewhere in the first lap melee and pulled away for the rest of the race. I held up pretty well, lapped a second slower than the GTL but had a lot of fun dicing with HW traffic. I thought I finished first, was bummed when I saw I was 2nd out of 6 later that night.

It's time to face the facts: new fork oil and tires for next round, and some kind of instruction after that to keep the new Amateurs from leaving me in the dust!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by brady; 08-04-12 at 12:47 PM. Reason: laptime
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Re: Am #122 brady round 4 report

Sounds like you had a a decent enough day given the problems. Good job on the podium.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Fork oil and tires, at the very least, will give you some mental confidence. And def don't hesitate to stop by the RSP garage either directly before your B2B races, or a while before... I'm not typically out till Race 8ish on Sat - I'd be happy to bring you some water and shade Brady!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Forgot to add: a big thanks to Tom Blanchette for an on-the-spot correction of a problem, and the usual thanks to all the cornerworkers and my T3 Gravel Alley pitmates for help, company, and good vibes. No party vortex yet, though.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

The AMLW competition is stiff! Lots of fast people to fight.

Always great racing with you Brady! See you in a few days for another bout...

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

Nice report Brady, nice riding Out there!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

F50 after GTL!! You stud!! Nice report