Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Nov #396 Round 5 - The retirement thread....

Cool Nov #396 Round 5 - The retirement thread....

from Novices!!!! Read on cliffs in second post

So for the last six months I have been trying to hunt down a PC3 Ignition Module for my bike so I could gain the use of a quick shifter. Finally one popped up on WERA 2 weeks before Round 5 that I ended up getting a killer deal on and ordered myself a new pull switch for it. All waiting for me to install Friday morning in CT.
    Friday morning, I tore into my bike to install my Ignition Module and Quick Shifter. I did it before I left because I knew there would be some clearance issues with the GP Shift and Woodcraft Rearsets, the rod alone needed to be ground down to not hit the frame prior to having a sensor. So a google away the night before, the few guys who have had a similar setup just bent the rod or added spacers between the frame and clearance. After the install of some spacers it was still very slightly rubbing the frame but it was 12:00 so I headed up to the track and dealt with it then. The ride took a lot longer than usual due to traffic but I arrived there at 4. After a little while of playing around with the clearance issue. Moe pointed out a simple solution of sliding the shift knuckle slightly to gain a 1/2mm of clearance and wallah. Now I was all registered, tech’ed, and ready to go!

Practice 1
    I took it easy and got used to the quick shifter tires weren’t up to temp yet either. So I was putting around however when I came in Bill told me I was the fastest in the group

The quick shifter….. wow if you race and don’t have one you’re an idiot lol. It was crazy to just keep pulling on the straights, and shifting pre crest of 4 amazing :love:. It did get some taking used to to not roll off the throttle or grabbing the clutch but I took to it quickly.

After my session I called my tech support John at Dyno Solutions in Brookfield Ct to reference kill times and make sure everything was set as it should be. I plan on bringing it to him in Sept to do a once over, make sure she’s sill running strong, and see if the master can squeeze one or two hp out if it with the Ignition Module.

Practice 2
    Went out unfortunately I only got 4 laps in however on the straight with the QS found myself catching another gear by the end of the straight! Soooo much more speed into 1 now

When I pitted in I once found myself 1st on the board with a best of 1:24.646.

Race 7 Formula 1 Grid 1A
    Red flag city, this race always has one or two red flags every round. Im guessing since this is always the 1st race of the weekend for the Novices. Unfortunately with this race my video got deleted so I can’t give much detail. I felt fast and somewhat not in control, so I knew I wasn’t putting down great times. I was very timid and staying on the tail of first for a bit I notice him slow into 3 so I tried the inside line of 4 a few time on the third attempt I said thats it showed my wheel and throttle passed into 1st. I took 1st place in the race however it was under a red flag. A wins a win however it would have felt more earned under a checkered. Once again Plaistow PowerSports sponsored all the Formula races and I earned myself gift certificate also.
    Best Time of 1:25.880

Race 10 Formula 2 Grid 1A
    After some rest time, I got my self more relaxed and loose and ready to go again. As the green dropped I attempted to launch from higher RPMs; still trying to get up to where I SHOULD be launching. Clutch came out a little to quick and the front came up a little more than Id like. I let it settle and rolled back on it. Unfortunately into 1 I was in third, as I came out of 2 I pulled into 2nd on the back straight. I felt great! Nice and smooth easy on the throttle and kept on going. As I entered the bowl I came on the outside of 622 and pulled out of the bowl into first and never looked back. I kept my pace up but smooth and consistent though each turn and gear pulling low 23s and one 22.9. Finishing the race in 1st once again and another gift certificate to Plaistow PowerSports!
    Out Lap 1:27.807
    Best Time 1:22.987

Practice Sunday
    With ARSA there we only got one early practice in, I wanted to take it easy and conserve my tires as I knew the rear was nearing the end of its life. However I went out and did some smooth laps and loosened up for my first race.

Race 1 Rookie 2 - Wave 2 Gird 4A
    Confident an ready I set out. Green flag drops with a bad launch, however out of 1 I was in first and as before I never looked back! Then I decided to pounce on the wave ahead of me haha. Within the first lap I had already caught up the the back of wave 1. One by one I started passing them 5 in total lol. It felt great and I felt great and relaxed times a bit inconstant high 23s to mid 22s as I had some rear slippage out of 2, 3, and 6 I had to tend to. Ending the race in 1st once again!
    Out Lap 1:26.56
    Best Time of 1:22.316

Race 10 Starter 2 - Wave 3/4 Gird 13A
    After a LOOOOOONG delay to allow ASRA to race. I came out a bit too settled but ready. Once again a not so great start but pulled out of turn 1 in first and set my sights on the wave 3 guys (only 2 of them) but I got them right into turn 3! Once again I never looked back . I had some traction issues to tend with once again. I had to be very gentle and delayed on the throttle coming out of every turn but felt even more relaxed and confident. I ended up with some not so stellar times 24s and 23s. On my 7th lap a guy passed me out of 3 when I lost some grip and had to roll off before I got de-horsed. Not caring that he was in the earlier wave I set my throttle to "kill" and chased him down! On to the straight I let my quick shifter work its beautiful magic braked a little later and took him on the outside of one! Traction or not I was not going to let another person get me and push on. Then on the last lap I churned out my new PB and finish 1st again! Sweeping all four of my races for the weekend!
    Out Lap 1:25.961
    Best Time of 1:22.075

As I went to pick up my two trophies I also received, Ill call it the “MVP of the weekend award" lol; a Gift Certificate for $75 off a set of Chicken Hawk Tire Warmers.

After running 22s knowing I was having traction issues I know how and where I can pick up more time. Que a new set of Pirelli V2s from MTAG!

It was an absolute epic amazing weekend for me sweeping all 4 races and obtaining my new PB.
    I set my self with a plan of progress and desires for the year and they seem to be cohering together very well for me and can only hope for it to continue as I had envisioned. In my competitive life I have always said to myself validation of progress and success is everything and here it is.

Thank you to the my sponsors who make it possible for me and my machine to gel as one. Especially John of Dyno Solutions and John of Advanced Traction. These guys are amazing and couldn’t thank them enough for what they do

Now that the weekend is over I patiently await the inventible….. I already stripped my white pates off in celebration and await the email

NOW FEED ME SOME AM CARROTS!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Cliffs

New PB of 1:22.075 - from a 1:22.305 so -.23

Formula 1 – First Place & a GC to Plaistow PowerSports
    Formula 2 – First Place & a GC to Plaistow PowerSports
    Starter 2 – First Place
    Rookie 2 – First Place
    $75 GC for Chicken Hawk Warmers

Current standings in LRRS

Novice Formula 1 - 1st overall out of 42 (1 DNF) - 100 Points
    Novice Formula 2 - 2nd overall out of 53 (1 DNS & 1 DNF) - 81 Points
    Novice Rookie 2 - 1st place out of 48 - 125 Points
    Novice Starter 2 - 1st out of 34 - 135 Points

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Re: Nov #396 Round 5 - The retirement thread....

Congrats on the future bump. Now I can buzz you in the AM brackets. better wire that kill switch...

Great job this weekend, you rode hard. Hoping you stay in the novice grids for the rest of the year so I have someone to dice it up with.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 08-18-14 at 04:18 PM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Grats Buddy!!! Good luck with the yellow plates!

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
    Great job this weekend, you rode hard. Hoping you stay in the novice grids for the rest of the year so I have someone to dice it up with.
    Why don't you just bump? Tons of people to dice it up with there lol

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Why don't you just bump? Tons of people to dice it up with there lol
    Running a single lap all weekend in the 23's I'm not sure if I can. I'd definitely be happy to if I'm allowed, right now I just want track time and I can only get 4 races per weekend as a Novice. I'd honestly prefer to be the slow guy in the faster group.

Quote Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
    Thanks Id love to stay and play but I know I can go faster and I know all I need are those carrots to chase after lol

And its official!

Last edited by MFChop; 08-19-14 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    Thanks Id love to stay and play but I know I can go faster and I know all I need are those carrots to chase after lol
    smartest thing you can do. the number of red flags in a NV race should be the warning sign to go yellow ASAP

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

nice. now get yourself some Dunlops and go faster

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yeah Ill get right on that

Pirelli V2 FTMFW!!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

And its official!

the Center 2 garage is killing it now that all the bikes are up and running on all cylinders lol Grats buddy

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Yeah Ill get right on that

Pirelli V2 FTMFW!!!!
    I was just messing with ya. I tried the V2s. went back to Dunlop. same lap times both days on each tire last weekend.

Well then you're obviously not fast enough for it to matter :p

Neither are you

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Neither are you
    To be fair, he shouldn't have been dressed that way.

still faster than you

I think both options are great tires. grip on both is awesome. they just have different feel. if you like to feel the tire moving around then go with the Pirelli, if you like a solid feel under you go with Dunlop. I didn't like the squishyness, especially under braking so that's why I went back to the Dunlops.