Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

#508 NV - LRRS Round 2 Race Report

#508 NV - LRRS Round 2 Race Report

Kurtz once again was torturing me telling me to hurry up to come at the track so once again I left work early and I was @ NHMS friday afternoon.
    Unpacked, set in the infamous Garage 22N which was packed this time (mix of Penguin and Racers for the weekend).
    Found my boy Keith, talked a little bit had a few beers and we called it a night fairly early since my bike was 100% this time.

Saturday morning I woke up in a fantastic mood. I was feeling healthy and happy.
    Decided to do first practice which I never do and I was turning flat 30s and some 31s. I wasnt pushing at all, I wasnt even trying and I was riding much better than the first weekend. Degsy had kept reminding to ride the track, not ride against the other riders. I was still very confused with shifting points. Pulled in talked to Gino for a bit, he gave me two pointers I went out for second practice and turned flat 29s just by shifting where Gino told me to.

Race 6 - Formula 3 (LW)
    Grid seemed massive. I think I was at 10B (?). I dont really remember much of this race rather than I rode very comfortable. I believe I finished 3rd but I am not sure. 1:27.9 was my best with all my laps under 1:29. Here we go much closer to my normal pace and feeling 100% again. Now I was excited for my second race.

Race 9 - Formula 4 (UL)
    Biggest grid of the weekend for NV. 47 bikes on the track!!!!
    I am gridded 11B. Flag drops and I launched that Hawk as good as I possibly can. outlap of 1:29.8 which I think is my best one so far.
    I am pulling away from everyone in my class fairly quick. Lap 2 I start braking way to early into one and a HARLEY passes me. we go back and forth for a few laps. he puts some slow MW NV between us very nicely played! for the next 4-5 laps I pass him into 3 and he passes me going up the hil at 4 immediatelly. going into the ball I spot 4 MW NV going very slow ahead of us. Plan is to pass the Harley and all the novice into the ball. I brake late go in Hard, pass 4/5 bikes and right on the apex the last bike goes on the brakes, lifts the bike up. Completely spooked me, I go at the flat part of the track near the bleachers, hit the grass over 7, somehow keep the bike up and jump back in the race. at that point I cant catch the Harley. I finish 2nd, feel very mad only to find out I did 1:27 flat and all my laps were in the 28s. Now I am happy again.

Sunday
    I went out in practice just to make sure the bike and I are 100%. I didnt have anything specific to work on. Some tips Gino gave me were applicable only during an actual race.
    Race 3 - Starter 4 (UL)
    I am gridded right next to the Harley and my goal this time is to win him. Found out Friday night the guy is AMA multi times champion. Got to talk to him at the pits a bit too, he is pretty cool guy.
    This time I had a different tactic about it. I didnt want to pass him at 3 and have him re pass me up the hill. I wanted to follow him learn his line and make one pass he cant catch up after (thanks Gino ).
    Green Flag drops I have a really good start again. Pass a few bikes only to have the harley come from the outside into 1 to pass me. I follow him every single lap. (video unfortunately stops at lap 4). I am keeping him close and I am not letting him put anyone between us. Finally I decide to go a bit suicidal on lap 7. I go very late on the brakes into 3 take a much tighter line than I usually do and get on the throttle very early (all for my standards). He is behind me I cant hear him going up the hill, I go into the bowl very hard as well (still in front of him). keep a very fast line through 9 - 10 and we are out on the straight. I look behind me and I have a decent gap, i just cant fuck up T1 again. I go in solid and keep pushing the whole way left with no looking back. Finish First with a best lap of 1:24.9 and most of my laps 26-27s. I am super happy. Ran over to the center garages to share the news with the RSP and ECK guys who are pretty much just as happy as I am
    here is the video that was taken so I can get more feedback about my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5dt2r_OF7k

Race 10 - Rookie 4 (UL)
    only two bikes in my race this time. No clue how we go from 20 to 2 but I guess people were tired and crashed?
    Gino is at the hot pit for me this time too Flag drops I have a good start I am ahead. by lap 2/3 Gino is already telling me I have a huge gap so I cool down cause last thing I wanna do is crash. Brought it home very easily and had tons of fun 1:28s were all my laps in this race.

This was by far the most fun I have ever had on the track. I havent felt more connected with the bike and I was in the zone for myself.
    I was able to put in action every piece of advice I got and it paid off
    Huge thanks to RSP - ECK - G2 guys who were extremely supportive all weekend.
    Degs & BoMo for always helping out with the bike, listen to me bitch and give me advice
    Always huge thanks to Corner Workers and Track Staff for keeping us safe and cleaning up the track quick and accurate.
    my sponsors:AT&T Mobility, Alexander Academy, Above the Influence, Yoshimura USA, Braking, Niko's Pizza & Restaurant, RCM Services, Gallios, Salus Capital Partners.

shit was REAL this weekend and I cannot wait for the classic. thank you all so much for being part of my life!

^ Mike showing me how to properly relax LOL
    T6 after I passed the Harley
    T1A dragging shit all over the place

Supporting my boy Keith on the grids

and besides the wins and new PB, this is my highlight of the weekend:

CASE CLOSED

thank you all for reading
    Olympus Racing #508 - Sav

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: #508 NV - LRRS Round 2 Race Report

Way to be

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Sav, what can I say. You were freaking amazing this weekend. To hit 24.9 on that bike so soon into your career is simply outstanding. Congrats on playing your cards right as well. Learning racecraft is an entirely different aspect to the game and not everyone can grasp it so quickly. You sir, rock!

How are you shifting down the front straight? Seems like a long time between the throttle chop and hearing it pulling again? Off the line in particular it almost sounded like your clutch was slipping ever so slightly?

I did not use the clutch at all during the weekend. Neither up shifts or down shifts. Degsy and Gino already yelled at me about it. I was practicing later braking and using the clutch on Monday.
    We ll see how it plays out at the classic. I certainly felt faster and more stable.

Sav, it was great fun racing with you and seeing the gains you are making! Have fun in the AM ranks, see you soon.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Congrats on the wins, and good job bringing those times down!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Haha. I tell you to race the track, not the riders and then you spend 2 paragraphs talking about racing against harley guy. Lol.

Well done. So happy to see you doing so well.

I started racing him after I remembered how to ride again lol. My problem on round 1 was not remembering how to ride lol

Congrats Mr. Amateur Man!

24.9 on a Hawk, second weekend in is NO JOKE. I think by the end of the season I'll be looking over my shoulder in expert GTL for you, and then it's no more help!

Great times this weekend again man, really can't wait til June...just bring that AT&T umbrella over early so I don't have to go hunting for it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

This shit is fun to read.

Kick ass. I dig it.

I second what Mr. Kurtz said. Awesome work SAV!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    Congrats on playing your cards right as well. Learning racecraft is an entirely different aspect to the game and not everyone can grasp it so quickly. You sir, rock!
    the name of that class was Gino 101

another huge thank you to the woman who has been behind me in everything I do in life (even when she doesnt agree with it) and is my greatest support, my mom.
    love you mom.

friends, family & coworkers who come up to support me, the sport and the organization:

and the best race starter ever

I feel it necessary to point out that none of those friends were introduced to Bill and I.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    I feel it necessary to point out that none of those friends were introduced to Bill and I.
    i think we agreed today that it was huge mistake on our ends to be garaged in two separate parts of the track

Yeah. Too bad we don't know someone who needs a garage spot, and could be convinced to take over yours in North. Make that happen!

- - - Updated - - -

Plus...you can always bring your friends over to visit.

Wait a fucking second - I must've missed that this weekend - you hit a fucking 24 on that Hawk?! Damn Sav, that's awesome! And scary for us, hahaha...

Lookin good out there man, glad Stella got her groove back this round. If you don't get to fix up that lower like we talked about, we'll do it Thursday night before the Classic.
    Seriously, WTF?! And we let you into our garage on Monday and you bring nothing!
    Yeah. Too bad we don't know someone who needs a garage spot, and could be convinced to take over yours in North. Make that happen!

- - - Updated - - -

Plus...you can always bring your friends over to visit.
    +1

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

I hung out with Sav's friends....be jealous!

And you didn't use your clutch to downshift? Woah.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    That's how the men do it. Stomp that shit.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Now I'm really upset, cause I feel like after hanging with Smutty your friends would have been pretty easy to impress.

"Oh look, those guys AREN'T rocking the wolfman sideburns; they must be cool."

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Way to work it bud! The progress is awesome and scary.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Don't ask I thought I was going faster and saving time lol

- - - Updated - - -

I hung out with Sav's friends....be jealous!
    Smutty played his cards right, he knew when to come at the north garages lol

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Don't ask I thought I was going faster and saving time lol
    There are times clutchless downshifts ARE the quick way to roll. I like then when I'm only dropping one gear for a corner, on the brakes, wait for the revs to drop and then load the shifter and it should just happen on it's own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast