Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

#514... Round 7 Return to Racing

#514... Round 7 Return to Racing

So, the racing bug bit me again late this season. I last raced in 2009. Then 2010 came around and money and time (or significant lack of both) made the decision for me. I was done racing. I was ok with it too. I had the experience and didn't miss it... Until 2013. Over the winter of 2012 I picked up a very well sorted CBR race bike. Did a bunch of track days in '13 and the bug was back. Through much proding and encouragment from friends, I renewed my license. Wanda was a big help and even helped me get Alex's birthday as my race number. Off to race the final round of the year we go...

Showed up Thursday night, set up my tent, got unloaded in the RSP/MTAG garage, sat around hanging out with Tori, waiting for Kurtz to arrive. He rolls in, I help him unload, and the track feels like I never left...

Friday practice is what it is. Feels more like a track day than anything else. A scary, dangerous, red group trackday. They put me in the Nov/Beginner group, and it was full of all kinds. Easily 1/3 of the group (of what seemed like 40 bikes) had no business on a motorcycle, let alone a race track. The morning had me pretty spooked. I swore they were aiming for me. The afternoon got me settled down a bit and I just went out and ran my laps and ignored the fools. Passing them when I had the opportunity and pitting in to get away from the crowds. I get the bike through LRRS tech on Friday night with no problem and get through registration...

Saturday: I blow off first practice (per usual... its too damn early and I'm barely awake). Second practice is uneventful. I forgot to connect my transponder, so I have no times from second practice. Oh well...

Racing gets under way and my nerves are building. I don't know what it is, but I'm almost completely psyched out. I don't know if my garage mates notice, but I'm all burried in my head. I go out for my first race and I'm gridded waaaaaay in the back. Row 5. I get a mediocre launch and give turn one to everyone. I'm timid... I don't trust the novice riders next to me and now I'm riding a trackday. I forgot how to race. I'm being a pussy into t1 and a bigger pussy into t6. I feel like I'm riding hard... race ends, I come in, Mike W is standing there waiting for me with a big smile and tells me that I managed a best lap of 1:28... My head slumps and I'm ready to pack up and go home. Apparently you can't take 5 years off and expect to come back where you left off... All the online shit talking in the world doesn't make you remember how to race. Going out and doing it does... Mike pats me on the back and fills my head with tons of encouragment.

Second race of the day finds me in the same grid position. All the way at the back. I get a slightly better start, and hold off a few of them into t1. I'm better into t1, on the gas longer and on the brakes harder. Still room for improvement here... Also slightly better into T6... again, still lots of room for improvement. I make a few passes. Get a couple of guys in the t3 chute, another on the exit of T10, and another going into T1. This race feels better. I come in to Mike W. yet again waiting for me and I can see he is excited. I managed to shave over 4 seconds and end up with a best lap in the low 1:24s. Ok... We can do this. I end Saturday with a smile and can't wait for my two races on Sunday. I'm confident, feeling good, and I know exactly were I'm going to find another 2+ seconds...

Saturday night, We all gather for an incredible Center Garage cookout hosted by the amazing Butler Family, and I now am absolutely sure that I'm doing a full season next year. I'm immediately back to being part of the track family and I don't ever want to be without these fine folks in my life again. We head down to T1a for a great bonfire party hosted by LDR and proceed to drink as if we brought spare livers...

Sunday rolls around and the wether is not cooperating. Neither is everyone's hangover. Many long faces rolling around the track. I actually faired pretty well. I had gotten a decent amount of sleep and was feeling pretty good, considering. The rain is coming in, and with it, taking away any opportunity to better Saturday's lap times. I relax for a little while and then start switching over the tires on the bike to the rains. I have never raced on rains before and I'm again, pretty nervous. Everyone in the garage... Mike, Keith, Bill, Kurtz, offer me tons of advise and at some points, babysiting. I'm nearly having a panic attack at this point and I'm sure that everyone is laughing at me on the inside, even though they kept it pretty well hidden... thanks guys. I go out for my first race. Its a huge field and is launched in three waves. Of which, I'm in the last wave. Flag drops, I get a great launch in the rain and go into T1 in a good position. The bikes start to bunch up and I have no idea who I'm actually racing and who is in different waves/classes. I just ride my ride and feel out the rain tires. I complete the race without incedent and have no idea what position I finished. Calling it a success since I didn't throw the bike down the track.

Second race of the day and its pouring. I grid up in the second row, on the outside. There's only 7 bikes out there, but two seperate classes. I get a good launch and once again go into T1 in a good position. Make a couple of passes, push the rains a little harder, and actually get my knee down repetedly in T2 and T6... in the driving rain. I come back in and everyone is excited. I look up at the scoreboard and it has me sitting in overall 3rd place. Good stuff! I'm done racing for the day and get everything broken dowm, leathers off, bike back on stands, and just relax for a minute. Shortly, I head over to the media center to look at standings. Low and behold, there is not one, but two certificates waiting there for me. Along with two medals. I've managed to take SECOND PLACE, in both of my Sunday races, in the pouring rain!!! I couldn't be happier.

Yea, its novice racing, yea I basically stunk the place up, yea I was a big baby that needed hand holding, and almost puked multiple times due to nerves... but I'm holding TWO 2ND PLACE MOTHER FUCKING MEDALS!!!

Lots of big thanks to give out. The biggest one goes to Mike W. He teased me and prodded me all year to come back to racing. Early in the year, I flat out told him "NO". He kept at it and wore me down, in person and over multiple types of digital media. He gave me tons of advise and tons of encouragement all weekend, and the weeks leading up to the final round. Thanks man! I wouldn't have done it without you pushing me.

Thanks to Mike Kurtz for all his help and putting up with almost daily texts with me asking silly questions. Thanks to Bill, Keith, Sav and expecially Eric for all their help in the garage and over the course of the weekend. Thanks to Chuck, Gino, Adam and everyone else for lending advise and being good friends. I can't wait to get back at it next season!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: #514... Round 7 Return to Racing

I almost lapped you in race 6 on Sunday but didn't hear anyone behind me and didn't want to stuff you in 12 in the rain. I didn't know I got up that far in the novices. Jim was mad cause he was behind me and wanted to lap you. you're welcome

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Well, thanks. That was my first time on rains and i spent 6 laps trying not to crash, crap my leathers, or both. Race 9 was a significantly better performance.

Great come back man! Next year will be awesome!

Racing on rains feels like riding a dirtbike to me.
    Cool to hear somebody getting back out there, as that could very well be me on a few more seasons.
    Cheers.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I was in your 2 Sat races and we went back and forth a few times in both races. OK truth is I went backwards you came forward :-)
    Welcome back! Hope to race against you next year!!