Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

728 Return to racing, USCRA, Endurance Race (LOOONG)

728 Return to racing, USCRA, Endurance Race (LOOONG)

Hey Guys, well, this weekend was my first roadracing in 5 years. I've been riding and instructing a lot with Tony, so I'm not out of touch with the track, but racing is always a different level altogether. Here's how it happened.

I was invited to ride for a few teams in the Endurance race, and the draw of the 125GP bike won out. I joined up with Roland (Rolker), Jake Vader, and Shawn Spears for the endurance race. A handful of strong LRRS teams formed up and it promised to be a full on brawler. The race did not disappoint.

USCRA also runs a 125 modern class, and Jeff Vader generously offered me his bike for that race.

I didn't get practice time to dial in the suspension, so I just winged it. I bogged once off the line, but then found the sweet spot and wheelied that bike halfway to turn one! I slotted in behind Jake and Shawn. I decided to make a quick push for the front on lap 2. I passed Shawn on the brakes into T3 rear wheel up and wagging, but then nearly highsided when I got on the gas. The changes I make to the suspension weren't quite dialed and I really couldn't push. Jake was running strong and smooth out front, so I just followed as long as I could and came home second. Props to Jake. He's on the verge of breaking through the next plateau.

The Endurance race was EPIC this year. 19 teams total, and 5 modern teams from LRRS gridded up. The 125 was the creme of the class, and we knew if we ran a smooth race, we had a shot.

Roland started us, and bogged it off the line BAD! He ran an aggressive couple of laps to get us back into 5th, But the other teams had their big guns out first, and they were gone at the front. We we in fourth and a lap down when Roland came in.

We refueled the thirsty 125 and sent Jake out next. He hauled us back onto the lead lap with some consistent quick laps. Next Shawn went out and did the same. My first stint came up and I was able to get in a better rhythm on Roland's bike. Despite being down on power and revs (more on this later) I was clicking consistent 20s with an occasional 19 in there. We were holding down the lead by now, and I put us up by a lap and a half or so.

The second rotation came around, and trouble struck. As we were pushing Shawn out of the hot pit, the bike wouldn't fire! Oh no. We pushed him as far as we could, then Gino took over, and he got the thing running just at the exit onto the track. We lost a lot of time here and our lead was gone. The bike didn't sound right, but he seemed to get going. When he came in, he said the bike was just dying as soon as it hit 12K rpms. Hmmm... not too good.

I was up last and the race was incredibly close. BJ Worsham had put together a strong team on an EX500, and they were having a dream run with 3 of their four riders lapping fast and consistent. The bike fires for me easy and as I'm pittiing out onto the track, BJ comes by me around T2. IT'S ON!!! I can only assume that I am racing him for the lead head to head for the last 25 minutes. As I get up to speed, though, I notice that Roland's bike sounds like shit. Aaagh! Patience. I settle in about 20-30 bike lengths behind BJ and check his pace. He's going good. Really good. I'm going to have to push hard to win this thing.

I put my head down and start clicking the laps, 20, 19, 20, 20 etc. He's mine. I pass him, give a friendly wave and look back and start working to build a nice gap. He's falling back quickly, and then he's gone. Phew. Rolands bike is sounding worse. It's now basically seizing about 4 times a lap and I'm getting nervous that it is going to spit me on my head in the bowl or something. I look back, nobody in sight. I give my crew cheif the signal that the engine is dying.

It's up to ten hiccups a lap and I'm just nursing it now, wondering if I should come in. I don't think it's going to make the checkered flag. Jeff is smart and gives me a 5 minute board and tells me I have a big gap. I'm gonna cruise it home. Then I look back and there's BJ! Shit where did he come from? I'm gonna either end on my head, or take the win. I start pushing again and manage the gap taking the checkers in first, seriously relieved.

Turned out BJ had lost his shifter and had to pit, falling 2 laps behind, but it was an incredible race and they got a well deserved second.

Cliffs: USCRA were gracious hosts, and fun to ride and hang with. Johnny B is awesome. Kerry Smith and her mom are fantastic and really make it happen.

Huge thanks to Roland for pulling this amazing team together. Jeff Vader, I can't thank enough for all the track time on the 125, smart crew cheifing, and the best steaks I've had in a looong time! Jake and Shawn rode fantastic. Kurlon scored and kept us informed of our progress throughout the race. Great effort from everyone, and it made my summer. THANKS GUYS!!!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Paul_E_D; 08-19-12 at 06:29 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Re: 728 Return to racing, USCRA, Endurance Race (LOOONG)

Sounds awesome Paul! Congrats to you guys, wish I had made it up there to see it!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice write up, it was great watching you guys. Sorry we couldn't stay in there and give you guys a better run .

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Awesome job guys. I think if we had a better pit strategy it could have been even closer. It was a blast though, Cheers!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Dude...congrats again....well run! It was a blast racing with you guys and you really deserved the win. Duval is an animal.

And you forgot to mention the culprit of your motor problems was the spark plug cap not being on all the way.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Ha, Yeah, It was arcing across a pretty big gap! Thankfully, it was NOT the motor about to seize. We are lucky it made it home. Not sure we would have picked up on it in the heat of the race if I had pulled in.

Paul_E_D

Wow sounds like it was a lot of fun this year again. I really should go re-up my license next year just so I can get in on this.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

That wave to BJ when you passed him was seen by the entire scoring squad, got one big laugh out of them with that. I don't think I've texted as much in a year as I did that afternoon trying to keep you guys up to date.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice Race Report Paul! Glad to hear you got back out there on a 125. Congrats Guys!
    Bob Poetzsch <== 125 wannabe racer :-)

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Nice recap. Congrats on the win for the team. What a blast!

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Excellent write-up Paul, couldn't have said it better myself!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

SWEET!

great report and congrats to you and the team musta felt great to be back out there on the 125!

wish i was able to spectate.

Beta 200RR

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

If I could not be out there for the win I might as well as help others for it. Great job guys.

Thinking of things for next year......

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post

Thinking of things for next year......
    I think next year we will have closer to 30 teams for this. It is just too much fun.

Great run for the Dark Side for sure. Congrats guys. It was cool to see you out in race trim Paul.

Nice win for the liitle bike! Congratulations!!!!!
    How much gas did you go through??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Nice win for the liitle bike! Congratulations!!!!!
    How much gas did you go through??!!
    We didn't keep good enough notes to know exactly how much gas we used, by I was projecting 11 to 12 gallons for a 3 hour race. The race was shortened to about 2 1/2 hours so I'm guessing we used under 10 gallons. That's still over $100 worth of fuel!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Great to see you out there Paul, I had heard you were bad fast on those things...now I know it is true. Congrats to you and all the Dark side guys!

Ynot, thanks. I don't know if we met this weekend. Not sure of your real name. Were you on track? what bike?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Ynot, thanks. I don't know if we met this weekend. Not sure of your real name. Were you on track? what bike?
    Ynot is Bill Morey. He owned the 868 Hawk and did PI with Gino at the last TTD's.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Oooooh. Hi Bill. Good times.

Paul_E_D

Good times indeed!

Yeah, it was great having you around for some racing Paul. I hardly recognized you without the red Jersey.

Stellar racing as expected!

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |