Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

771 Racing - Brain Download

Re: 771 Racing - Brain Download

Have you had a look at the RaceTech page for F450? I've been looking into this project for a while, it seems that RT has so far come up with the best geometry solution. Stock forks, shortened internally; triple clamps; and fork bottoms to use radial mounted caliper. The fork bottoms not being required right away, but makes a lot of sense if you'd already be sending the forks down for the other work.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Racetech has one path, Beon has a theory, Roland Sands had kits but I don't know if they were ever really raced, and GP Tech LLC has built and raced one that they said worked rather well. (Airtech has bodywork, dunno how deep they ever got into the development?) Given GP Tech has actually built machines for MotoGP, and are easy to talk to I'm going to try their path. It's the least cost intensive, and easiest to reverse option to start with.

I'd say BeOn has a bit more than a theory, their kit is being used and really was designed from the ground up. That said, looking like the starting price is 20,000 euros now so not really any point in further discussion.

Re: the GPTech kit, do you not have any concerns with using the sport bike front end? They're like 4-5 inches shorter than the stock forks.

Lots of supersingles racing with AHRMA. From mild to wild. If you go down this road, I think AHRMA is your jam. They have 3 tiers of singles classes that are well attended and loads of custom builders like yourself. They even have a very active electric class with mostly prototypes.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Lots of supersingles racing with AHRMA. From mild to wild. If you go down this road, I think AHRMA is your jam. They have 3 tiers of singles classes that are well attended and loads of custom builders like yourself. They even have a very active electric class with mostly prototypes.
    But other than NJMP, which is just once in a season, I think the next closest even is like fucking Kansas or something.

Just doing Jersey, Road America and Barber would make a hell of a cool season.

Paul_E_D

Cool for sure, but the Road America and Barber are a 1,200 mile drive. That falls under "bucket-list" for me.

Anyhow...this whole 450GP has had my interest for a while now, and I'm at a point financially now where I could start gathering parts and put the build together next year. I find myself fairly convinced in the RaceTech theory, which is to say that a sport bike front end is far too short for the application. See spreadsheet:
    771 Racing - Brain Download-f450-jpg

There is some money to be saved if you choose. You could find a used set of wheels or go with a set of spoked Warp 9's instead of going for the Marchesini's and save at least $1,000. The rearsets from BeOn are a bit pricey, but I could purchase those and have my machinist replicate them for probably half the price for spares. Clip-ons are cheap through BeOn and again easily replicated, also Woodcraft and the like would have options as well. Would love to have the BeOn bodywork, but it's pricey at $1,600 (includes all hardware/stays) not to mention if you break it beyond repair you're ordering replacements from Spain. Looks like the TZ-P bodywork option is the least expensive and easiest to source. I budgeted $1,000 for misc items which may be on the steep side but would cover having rearsets duplicated. Anyhow, it's not a cheap project anyway you slice it. The complete RaceTech forks are pricey at $2,500, but it's a complete package for the front end save any 108mm caliper from eBay.

I know Kurlon is going in a bit of a different direction with his build, the GPTech method looks to be around half the price. This is just me spit-balling.

Last edited by loudbeard; 12-04-18 at 05:31 PM.

Bucket list items are things I'm looking to check off going forward, that's part of why I upgraded to an RV setup. I'll need to read up on AHMRA's singles rules, none of my prior bikes have been legal for their stuff so I never paid attention to them.

Edit: Nevermind... somehow I always manage to find the build route the AHMRA specifically blocks. Sound of Singles only allows up to 300cc liquid cooled two strokes. I would be Open Two Stroke legal?

Last edited by Kurlon; 12-05-18 at 06:10 PM.

Tic Toc. How goes the hunt?

On hold, got the shit kicked out of me by the plague, then some house fun with our oil company deciding to drop us, during the cold snap, while I'm bed ridden... good times.

Progress - May have found the donor...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Never let it be said that I let a bad idea go to waste: 771 Racing - Bad ideas aren’t bad unless you’re willing to...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice!!

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

YouTube

Currently alternating between trying to clean off sticker residue, inspecting wiring, and pricing out full plastic kits to avoid cleaning off MOAR sticker crap. Battery is shot, e-start button works, I can see it at the starter relay, but I can't get the relay to do a damn thing. Even shorting across the lugs doesn't work, so I'm thinking new batt, and then the relay and harness may get replaced just for expediency seeing as they're cheap. I really want to hear that starter do... something though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Looks like a pretty good find. Just went through a similar thing with some of the CR plastics. I usually do the heat gun (or cheat and use my Big Buddy if it's running), then soak them with Goo Gone. Let it sit for 5-10 then rub vigorously. Finish with hot water and dish soap and more scrubbing. Haven't tried the 3M stuff yet.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Goo Gone never seemed to work for me, at best I'd have large swaths of jellied adhesive that would refuse to let go. The 3M stuff breaks it down much quicker, and more thoroughly, though it's still a sticky mess to clean up. Typically I can get by with one or two squares of shop rag per panel and one pass of 3M. Plus, it's chock full of volatiles, so use in a WELL ventilated area.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

WD40

Brush your teeth with it too

WD40 generally won't touch this crap for me unless I already beat it up with something else (Goo Gone, 3M stuff, etc) first, at which point... why bother?

Aren't a set of dirt bike plastics like...$100?

Yup, well, closer to $130/$150 for a FULL set on this bike, but given I don't intend for it to live as a dirtbike I'm not springing for any just yet. This is more about just getting the bike to be less tacky to work on and around. While I'm cleaning I'm getting a chance to look it over more. (It's also habit, given my prior machines I can't just buy new plastics for and have to revive old kit I've gotten used to doing so.)

not sure what it is but i'll check with a bodyshop buddy of mine that gets me this adhesive solvent on occasion. it's fucking magic. Goo Gone never worked for me and WD takes forever. this shit, amazing. i've used it for debading trucks/cars, graphic removal, sticker removal, etc.

i'll see if the secret potion is available to the public...

Beta 200RR

it's called FINELINE FNE-901 Anti-Static Pre-Paint Cleaner. no clue if you can acquire publically but it's great stuff. best i've used.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Where to Buy

Looks like auto paint distributors are who to talk to. I've not found any direct buy links that still work yet.

Starter diagnosed - The dinosaurs never died, they were hiding in the swamp biome behind the stator cover... blech. May be putting a starter and bendix to the bike along with bushings, but am going to try a hack first to temp revive things.

Bad idea in progress - March 2019 — OutOfSpec.COM

Light update, more wrenching this weekend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast