Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

771 Racing - Brain Download

Re: 771 Racing - Brain Download

Have you had a look at the RaceTech page for F450? I've been looking into this project for a while, it seems that RT has so far come up with the best geometry solution. Stock forks, shortened internally; triple clamps; and fork bottoms to use radial mounted caliper. The fork bottoms not being required right away, but makes a lot of sense if you'd already be sending the forks down for the other work.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Racetech has one path, Beon has a theory, Roland Sands had kits but I don't know if they were ever really raced, and GP Tech LLC has built and raced one that they said worked rather well. (Airtech has bodywork, dunno how deep they ever got into the development?) Given GP Tech has actually built machines for MotoGP, and are easy to talk to I'm going to try their path. It's the least cost intensive, and easiest to reverse option to start with.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

I'd say BeOn has a bit more than a theory, their kit is being used and really was designed from the ground up. That said, looking like the starting price is 20,000 euros now so not really any point in further discussion.

Re: the GPTech kit, do you not have any concerns with using the sport bike front end? They're like 4-5 inches shorter than the stock forks.

0 Not allowed!

Lots of supersingles racing with AHRMA. From mild to wild. If you go down this road, I think AHRMA is your jam. They have 3 tiers of singles classes that are well attended and loads of custom builders like yourself. They even have a very active electric class with mostly prototypes.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Lots of supersingles racing with AHRMA. From mild to wild. If you go down this road, I think AHRMA is your jam. They have 3 tiers of singles classes that are well attended and loads of custom builders like yourself. They even have a very active electric class with mostly prototypes.
    But other than NJMP, which is just once in a season, I think the next closest even is like fucking Kansas or something.

0 Not allowed!

Just doing Jersey, Road America and Barber would make a hell of a cool season.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Cool for sure, but the Road America and Barber are a 1,200 mile drive. That falls under "bucket-list" for me.

Anyhow...this whole 450GP has had my interest for a while now, and I'm at a point financially now where I could start gathering parts and put the build together next year. I find myself fairly convinced in the RaceTech theory, which is to say that a sport bike front end is far too short for the application. See spreadsheet:
    771 Racing - Brain Download-f450-jpg

There is some money to be saved if you choose. You could find a used set of wheels or go with a set of spoked Warp 9's instead of going for the Marchesini's and save at least $1,000. The rearsets from BeOn are a bit pricey, but I could purchase those and have my machinist replicate them for probably half the price for spares. Clip-ons are cheap through BeOn and again easily replicated, also Woodcraft and the like would have options as well. Would love to have the BeOn bodywork, but it's pricey at $1,600 (includes all hardware/stays) not to mention if you break it beyond repair you're ordering replacements from Spain. Looks like the TZ-P bodywork option is the least expensive and easiest to source. I budgeted $1,000 for misc items which may be on the steep side but would cover having rearsets duplicated. Anyhow, it's not a cheap project anyway you slice it. The complete RaceTech forks are pricey at $2,500, but it's a complete package for the front end save any 108mm caliper from eBay.

I know Kurlon is going in a bit of a different direction with his build, the GPTech method looks to be around half the price. This is just me spit-balling.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 12-04-18 at 05:31 PM.

Bucket list items are things I'm looking to check off going forward, that's part of why I upgraded to an RV setup. I'll need to read up on AHMRA's singles rules, none of my prior bikes have been legal for their stuff so I never paid attention to them.

Edit: Nevermind... somehow I always manage to find the build route the AHMRA specifically blocks. Sound of Singles only allows up to 300cc liquid cooled two strokes. I would be Open Two Stroke legal?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Kurlon; 12-05-18 at 06:10 PM.
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12