Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

771 Racing - Lets get dirty!

771 Racing - Lets get dirty!

Look out, I'm feeling wordy today!

I'm a mini racer at heart. I learned how to both race and wrench on a CRF70, and only moved to full size bike racing when it was obvious the pit-bike scene in my area was good and dead. Despite selling my mini to focus on road racing, I somehow ended up with a play bike in the garage that wasn't being used...

So I raced it Sunday.

Some background first: My CRF70 was fun, right up until it wasn't. It was fully built into a dedicated pit-bike pavement eater. Sharp suspension and geometry, sticky tires, and an evil motor. At a tight track there wasn't much that could touch it. At Boxshop for example, it had the highest trap speed on radar, and that was vs full Sumo's including Shane Narbone's. If you knew how to ride it, you could fly. It could also bite you in the ass real quick. Unfortunately I built it too far, and the motor just couldn't take the strain. It blew up on me at three events in a row before turning a complete lap, including two long distance road trips. I didn't have the budget to recreate that motor from scratch, or the interest. You all saw the result, Savas bought it with a nice, mild, reliable crate motor installed, and I've been second guessing myself ever since.

Sunday was the opening round of New England Mini Moto, or NEMM held out literally in the middle of nowhere Maine at a revived kart facility called Boxshop. My mount for the event was a TT-R125LE, formerly my wife's dirt bike. Other than safetywire, the only 'mods' consisted of a new BT45 rear tire and a YZ80 front wheel with a front Bridgestone slick stolen off someone's 125 shoved into place via a hacksawed set of spacers. Stock springs, stock everything including airbox, etc. AKA the exact polar opposite of my 70. Undersprung, underdamped, slow, the front brake was soft with no bite, the rear drum has no feel, and I have exactly 10 minutes of seat time on this bike warming it up for my wife before a couple trail rides.

The only way to pile onto the unknowns was to add dirt to the mix. I signed up for the full supermoto experience and opted to run 'Aircooled' which is a play-bike class that runs both the pavement AND infield dirt sections of the track. I went into this expecting to fall a lot, and to be dead last holding everyone up as I learned how to pilot this flexy-'flier' around.

Instead I had one of the best days ever banging bars. There were a bunch of XR100s in various states of tune along with a built TTR running around in our classes, plus an XR150 and a kid screaming around on a 65cc mini monster and it all just clicked. I quickly adapted to the TTR's crazy amount of suspension movement and iffy front brake and spent the day chasing and being chased constantly. I got some good advice for things to watch out for in the dirt and slowly felt my way around in there. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but dumb luck at the start let me lead some laps and have a good fight in the dirt.

At the end of the day I went home with two 2nd place trophies and psyched that I sold the 70 and have this horrible stock machine to bang around on. Now I just need to learn to stop trying to put my knee down everywhere... guess I had a bunch of them concerned every time I came out of the dirt and back onto the pavement already scraping my puck...

Looking forward to Round 2 next month, 2 days plus a school on Friday if I can rob a bank.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 771 Racing - Lets get dirty!

Beast! Love it! Find me something and I'll come play!

If you ever want the mini back... LOL

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lame pics, didn't have my GoPro or a photographer to get action shots, and I was too wiped to try and get track shots myself: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0151081&type=1

You can run the 70 as is in the GP80 class. Just don't take it in the dirt, you'll discover just how jarring 1.75" of fork travel is when pushed. If you show up, I'll help you figure things out.

You looked good out there dude. It was pretty clear something clicked in between the heats and the mains. The next round will probably have a much bigger turnout so you should have plenty of people to bang bars with.

Quote Originally Posted by repete513 View Post
    You looked good out there dude. It was pretty clear something clicked in between the heats and the mains. The next round will probably have a much bigger turnout so you should have plenty of people to bang bars with.
    I'd joke that it was my sense of self preservation saying "Eff this, I'm out" but then I got to watch you rail in Supermono... I'm still a wearing a skirt in comparison.

Haha yeah that sweeper is fun. Honestly though the hairpin is the scariest part of the track for me. Rolling on the throttle at full lean in first gear on a 450 is sketchy. The rear just wants to spin.

You should have run the track it's first year. Coming into the hairpin you had to stay left. If you tried to do anything on the right and touched the new pavement, you'd have a bad time. Coming out of the hairpin, if you let the bike drift out onto the concrete, you'd have a bad time... It's phenomenal how much more grip there is everywhere now.

Watching Narbone take the hairpin was hilarious and terrifying at the same time. He'd charge in, back it around and then just whack the throttle and use sheer force of will to get it bent back to the right before plowing into the horrified flaggers in the stand who were sure this time would be the one that he plowed into them at full steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Lame pics, didn't have my GoPro or a photographer to get action shots, and I was too wiped to try and get track shots myself: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0151081&type=1
    the mini wasnt for me. It is too much for a pit bike that I use it for. But if I do this I want something bigger.
    dont get me wrong i love the damn thing and i am sure it will get me hurt in the near future but I have no love to race it.

Kurlon,
    When's the next event at NEMM? I picked up a CRF 70 with the intent of running it at MIK last winter but without an organizer, no racing. I would love to get in some practice and maybe even some racing at NEMM this summer between LRRS rounds. I'll come see you this weekend at NHMS and get the skinny from you.

http://nhf-racing.com/nemm.html

Next school is Friday, 6/6. Following that is a double header event Saturday and Sunday, 6/7 and 6/8.

Absolutely show up with that 70 and jump into racing. Plenty of classes for you to slot into depending on if you want to play in the dirt or not, and it's the same friendly atmosphere as LRRS, only with slightly more teasing.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    the mini wasnt for me. It is too much for a pit bike that I use it for. But if I do this I want something bigger.
    dont get me wrong i love the damn thing and i am sure it will get me hurt in the near future but I have no love to race it.
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...Craptastic-LOL

Cheap, street legal (Bonus!) and will slot right into the same classes I'm running.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...Craptastic-LOL

Cheap, street legal (Bonus!) and will slot right into the same classes I'm running.
    It's faaaar

ROAD TRIP!

Or, in all seriousness, see if the Hawk guys can get it trucked up to ya. My road racer has traveled more in other people's trucks/trailers than mine getting to me.

Instead I had one of the best days ever banging bars. There were a bunch of XR100s in various states of tune along with a built TTR running around in our classes, plus an XR150 and a kid screaming around on a 65cc mini monster and it all just clicked. I quickly adapted to the TTR's crazy amount of suspension movement and iffy front brake and spent the day chasing and being chased constantly. I got some good advice for things to watch out for in the dirt and slowly felt my way around in there. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but dumb luck at the start let me lead some laps and have a good fight in the dirt.
    THIS!

one of my favorite things about mini's is just heading out there with whatever bike and banging bars with other riders in friendly competition...it's a rush!

it also has a lot more to do with the rider than the bike...there's not a whole lot of bike to begin with, and the tracks are so small that big bikes don't have much of an advantage

and the adapting - I had another rider make snickering comments at me on Saturday because I was out on DR200se "going way too low" around turns...and I told him it's about adapting to any style of bike that you're on and just having fun

but great read bro - you know I loved it!!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: