Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

771 Racing - Zoom Splat!

771 Racing - Zoom Splat!

Another double header weekend in the middle of nowhere. This time the LDR crazies showed up which guarantees added fun!

I won't get too wordy on this one, it was hot and humid but still a good weekend. There was only one red flag, caused by me... but I still defended my own honor and won all of my mains for the event.

For Saturday's full Sumo race, we had a new racer participate on a QUICK lil KLX110. On the start I manage to get a bit of a jump but she quickly pulled past heading into the first left hander. Based on practice I was assuming she'd set her entry up about mid track and would check up a bit first so I tried to position myself to be on the inside for a block pass. Well, I underestimated her, she tightened her line up nicely and didn't check up nearly as much as I planned. Meanwhile I'm now about to get PINCHED off hard and the lil TTR's pathetic brakes aren't going to be able to save me... instead of doing something about this I hesitated trying to weigh my options, I ended up just touching her rear tire with my front and got pile driven into the ground by my TTR. Fortunately I didn't take her down with me and everyone got around me cleanly. This display of stupidity and early race greed brought out the one red flag for the weekend. Ended up wrenching my knee while rashing up my forearm and pissing off my shoulder and hip. TTR survived, picking up it's first scrapes, fortunately all cosmetic. On the restart I got the honor of being the backmarker in the last grid spot but managed to work my way to the front by the end of the race.

Saturday's silliness also involved waking up a bone stock CRF50 that had been dormant in storage for 7 years and then taking said bike out onto the track and running the full sumo course with it with the kids. On lap 3 or 4 I got into a bit of front end swap in the sand and ate dirt as a result, laughing the whole time.

Sunday was more of the same, fun on track, won my mains, had some GOOD battles with the Bakers, good times.

More people need to come out and play. The bikes are cheap to find and race, it's a good time, and the skills directly translate to LRRS if you happen to play there as well. It's a fun laid back atmosphere, and a fun way to spend a weekend away from it all in the middle of the woods.

I'll post links to pics once the photographer posts them.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: 771 Racing - Zoom Splat!

Sorry to hear about the off. "Pile driven" into the ground sounds a lot more harsh than your condition looked at the end of the day when I showed up.

Also sorry I didn't get my act together to get up there sooner in the day and catch ya'll on track. I even brought the camera. Does look like fun.

I was surprised at how few people were there. I expected more. Also expected more kids. Had most cleared out by the time I got there? (5PM-ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    More people need to come out and play. The bikes are cheap to find and race, it's a good time, and the skills directly translate to LRRS if you happen to play there as well. It's a fun laid back atmosphere, and a fun way to spend a weekend away from it all in the middle of the woods.
    You about have me. Laid back, cheap fun is what I'm after.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Turnout was ok for this round, a few people (Ben, one of the kids) had bailed already. Kids are kinda a new thing this year, haven't been any consistently showing up in the past that I recall. Hopefully we attract some more. One youngster stepped it up and joined us for the sumo races on Sunday and did awesome. He ran perfect defensive lines, never got spooked and cleanly dealt with riders crashing in front of him without drama which was killer. He may be on a CRF70 but the resulting power to weight ratio of a lil guy on that lil bike means I really can't out motor him with my 125.

Aaron has been working hard to grow the series, but I like the paced, methodical approach he's taking. Rather than go all out, big splashy marketing right MEOW he's slowly building up a core while cross promoting events with other series to get the name out there and draw others up to Maine while making consistent improvements to the track and facilities. For example in the past month or so he improved the pits by expanding the usable infield area, put up new fencing that looks MUCH nicer than the rusty tattered scraps from before. The dirt section was expanded to make it roomier for the 250/450 machines, he's been working on the landscaping, along with slowly cleaning the area up in general. He's got some awesome plans that should double the size of the track, including some killer dirt that I'm hoping he can pull off.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Vid from Adam Clark that needs to be spread around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQbw...ature=youtu.be

This is exactly the kind of stupidity you too can participate in!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!