Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

AM #107 RR

AM #107 RR

Not much to report because I didn't end up racing. Here's the rundown:

Trouble (NV #117) and I get down to the track thursday night. Unload the bikes and get ready for the morning, as much as possible.

We hit friday practice. I had some things to button up with the SV so I missed the first practice session, which, was running behind in schedule anyways. This was my first time riding the SV other than the one quick run down to the end of my street and back. I needed tires because Spydah had shredded the ones that were on there. I ended up at Street and Comp where Miles threw on a set of slicks for me. First practice session is cold. I'm cold, the bike's cold, the tires are cold (and a little to high pressure), and it's a slow session. I literaly get the outlap and then take the checkered. No biggie, it's getting warmer anyways.

During lunch, PK is walking through the infield. I grab him and he does the bounce test, and tells me that the suspension he built for Spydah still feels good, and should be good for my weight.

Next couple of sessions I start building pace. The new tires are working great, and I i'm almost back up to pace from last season. Next to last session comes around and the bike starts giving me issues.

The tach drops to 0, and I have no power. It sounds/feels like it's running on 1 cylinder. It will suddenly snap back (the tach and the power) and run fine again for random period of time before doing it again.

I try to trace it down. Check all the grounds, battery terminals etc.. I know the fuel and carbs are good.
    Saturday morning, KB tells me it could be a coil issue (he was working on Trouble's Hawk at the time). Other's echo his thoughts, and come to find out, SV's are notorious for coil problems. Seems like the coil to the front cylinder is going. Checked the connections and the plug cap, so it must be the coil.

I tried going out for second practice (missed first practice) and I'm on the outlap when it starts having the same issue. There was someone on a yellow 2-stroke that went out in front of me, that went down in T3 on the outlap and practice was red-flagged. I pitted in, and stayed there. I didn't have the parts or the $$$ for a quick fix at the track.

As it stands right now, I'm going to tear into the SV and try to get back to race as soon as possible. I'm starting a new job on monday, so getting time off may be a little tough this summer and I have no idea what my shift is going to be.

See you guys when I see you, hopefully it's soon.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jcbell1007; 04-20-11 at 11:47 PM. Reason: fixed my screw-up

Re: AM #107 RR

Bummer. Good luck in the new digs man.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Bummer, sucks going to the track but not getting to race...

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    There was someone on a yellow 2-stroke that went out in front of me, that went down in T3 on the outlap and practice was red-flagged.
    I wonder who that was... wasn't Jake, he's still novice...

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

I don't know who it was either, it wasn't a bike I recognized. By the size of it, I was going to guess it was a 250. He was down in the racing line and when I went by, he looked like he moving off the track under his own power.

damn that sucks. but hey there are worse ways to spend a weekend than watching racing.

how are you and John both #107?

I was going to guess it was a 250.
    It was probably probably wheelieman...

If you would have said a red 2 stroke and it was last October, it would have been me...

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    damn that sucks. but hey there are worse ways to spend a weekend than watching racing.

how are you and John both #107?
    close. I'm 107 because my birthday is 10/7

John is 117. I think his reason was practicality, it is one of the smallest (size wise) numbers, literally. He has a small tail and wanted a small number to put on it. I think 111 was taken when we went through penguin last year and he figured 117 would be the next easiest to fit on his tail.

close. I'm 107 because my birthday is 10/7

John is 117. I think his reason was practicality, it is one of the smallest (size wise) numbers, literally. He has a small tail and wanted a small number to put on it. I think 111 was taken when we went through penguin last year and he figured 117 would be the next easiest to fit on his tail.
    your thread title and first post say you two are both 107

thanks for that info, fixed it. lol

Hope you can get it fixed for the next round man. So are you still in law enforcement at your new job?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It is a little late now but be sure to ask around if you need something at the track. I actually keep two sets of coils with me :/

Best of luck next round!

LRRS #516

damn, Jason. Did know you were having issues! get her buttoned up for Rd 2

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post

If you would have said a red 2 stroke and it was last October, it would have been me...
    I am guessing Kevin Quinn.

Our Team Numbers.

Coincidence?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Hey it was good meeting you up there Jason. Thanks for all the help. Too bad you couldn't get it all sorted out.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Confirmed with Kevin Quinn (Yellow TZR250) that he went down in Turn3 with fresh tires that hadn't even had a chance to scuff in yet. Just a word of caution to anyone that thinks that brand new rubber will stick like glue right away... You need to scuff in your tires for at least a full lap, and preferably 2 laps to get the mold-release agent scuffed off and some roughness to the new tires. Can also be done by riding around slowly in the parking lot making tight figure "8" s, then heading out on the track. I see guys with brand new tires on their bike, right off the tire warmers & use the sighting lap to scuff in their tires. I suggest getting the new tires scuffed in, prior to heading out for your first race on them. Bob Poetzsch (the "other" yellow TZ250)

Sorry you didn't get more track time

Get that thing fixed up and get back there ASAP!

Let me know if I can help with anything...

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieman14 View Post
    Confirmed with Kevin Quinn (Yellow TZR250) that he went down in Turn3 with fresh tires that hadn't even had a chance to scuff in yet. Just a word of caution to anyone that thinks that brand new rubber will stick like glue right away... You need to scuff in your tires for at least a full lap, and preferably 2 laps to get the mold-release agent scuffed off and some roughness to the new tires. Can also be done by riding around slowly in the parking lot making tight figure "8" s, then heading out on the track. I see guys with brand new tires on their bike, right off the tire warmers & use the sighting lap to scuff in their tires. I suggest getting the new tires scuffed in, prior to heading out for your first race on them. Bob Poetzsch (the "other" yellow TZ250)
    Sorry Bob, my bad! So how many 250s race at Loudon? For the 125s, I know of at least 9...

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763

Sorry Bob, my bad! So how many 250s race at Loudon? For the 125s, I know of at least 9...
    I know of at least 16 LRRS racers with 250cc 2-stroke twin GP bikes:

Tim O'Connor, Expert#2 = 2000 Yamaha TZ250 (decided not to race in cold)
    Jerry Wood, Expert#3 = 2008 Yamaha TZ250 (hasn't raced yet in 2011)
    James Whitaker, Expert#12, 1998 Honda RS250 (hasn't raced yet in 2011)
    Bob Poetzsch, Expert#14 = 2000 Yamaha TZ250 (1st place in F50L, 5th LWGP)
    John Doll, Expert#29 = 2000 Honda RS250 (hasn't raced yet in 2011)
    Tom Fournier, Expert#55, 2004 Yamaha TZ250 (hasn't raced yet in 2011)
    Steve Aspland, Expert#27 = 2008 Yamaha TZ250 (hasn't raced yet in 2011)
    David Karten, Expert#78, 2001 Yamaha TZ250 (hasn't raced yet in 2011)
    Alex Guilbeault, Expert# 132 = 1998 Honda RS250 (selling it & racing R6)
    Chris Reynolds, Expert#25 = 2000 Honda RS250 (hasn't raced yet in 2011)
    Paul Conley, Expert#481 = 2000 Honda RS250 (hasn't raced yet in 2011)
    Nicholas Jakubowski, Expert#553 = 2000 Honda RS250 (hasn't raced yet in 2011)
    Tyler Sweeney, Expert#745 = 2002 Honda RS250 (selling it & racing R6)
    Victor Landau, Expert#827 = 1997 Yamaha TZ250 (racing SV650 Superbike)
    Michael Walsh, Amateur#517 = 1995 Yamaha TZ250 (1st place in F50L, 7th GTL)
    Kevin Quinn, Amateur#793 = 1992 Yamaha TZR250 (crashed out during outlap in practice)

Unfortunately, this past weekend, only myself (Expert#14) and Michael Walsh (Amateur#517) participated in the actual races. Steve Aspland has taken over as Race Director for LRRS, but hopefully he will get to race a few times this year. I expect to see Tim O'Connor (Expert#2) racing for most of the remaining F50L & LW Grand Prix races this year. Chris Reynolds will hopefully make it to the track sometime this season. Most 250GP racers have decided to move to different bikes this year (Alex Guilbeault, Tyler Sweeney & Victor Landau).