Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

AM #117 Round 3 2013

AM #117 Round 3 2013

AM GTL
    I had a decent start on this race and passed a couple folks the first lap, catching up to 122 (Brady) midway through the lap. On lap two I passed for the lead and held onto it until a red flag stopped the race. We re-gridded on pregrid and then had our warmup lap. The experts launched on wave 1 and had an incident before we even launched so we waited until they came back to the grids. The announcement was made that if there was another red flag then the race was done. I utterly and totally botched the restart. Someone told me I was tenth going into turn one. I was pissed! Talk about tossing away a win! Putting my head down I managed to put myself into third place by the end of the lap. Another pass (Brady again, he’s doing excellent this year!) put me in second place for the next couple laps. I had a hard time making it past #115. He’s apparently from out of town and it was his second race on this track so he had some interesting lines. I finally took him going into turn three. Having a bigger motor and a better drive out of four he tried to pass me on the right going into the bowl. I guess he thought he was past me when he tried to make an early turn in. He wasn’t and we made pretty hard rider-to-rider contact. I’d never experienced that and it didn’t shake me nearly as much as I would have expected. He went wide through the bowl and I stayed underneath him sticking the pass. I put my head down and took off expecting him to be on my tail. As it turns out he ran out of gas with a few laps to go. My times were much more consistent then they have been, mainly in the 1:22.x range which makes me really happy.

AM P-89L
    This race went off without a hitch for me. The bike felt loose so I didn’t push it trying to keep up with the experts and knowing I had two more races that day. The biggest disappointment was showing up late for the awards ceremony. I wish they’d make an announcement that the ceremony was beginning. Thanks for those that stuck around to see me on the box later!

AM ULSB
    I got a good start and managed to pass Chris Priore #421 for the lead when my bike wouldn’t shift out of 5th on the second lap. I have no idea what was going on but it was quite frustrating. I debated pitting but decided to stick it out and still managed to finish not last. The race ended with a good drag race to the finish which Savas one by a hair.

Modern Sidecar
    Yeah, that’s right. I was a monkey! I raced both Saturday and Sunday with Marcus Poisson and had an incredible time. Thanks to Peter Essaff for providing the rig and Marcus for not killing me. Those things have wicked power and it was fun to be drifting into corners and flying (literally) over curbing. I hope I get a chance to ride on his vintage rig when it makes it back together.

I spent the next three days with Tony’s Track Days and had a great time. The weather wasn’t always the most cooperative but it seemed like most people kept their spirits up. Kudos to those that chose to ride despite the precipitation. I still hold that riding in the rain is fun. The weather on Wednesday more than made up for Tuesday for those that stuck around. A big thanks to Razee’s for making that happen!

I hesitate to include this last part in a race report but the timing was too coincidental to do otherwise. After riding hard on the track for 6 days I was quickly brought back to reality as I was leaving the track. A call from my father informed me that my uncle had passed away that morning in a motorcycle accident. http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/303...te-87-reopened He had a huge heart, was always full of energy and contagious laughter. I’m pretty sure he never matured past his teenage years which made him a favorite with all of the nieces and nephews. He’s the guy with the hard hat. And yes, he’s probably the reason I have unique facial hair.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Re: AM #117 Round 3 2013

It's always great watching you out there John. You were great to watch as a Monkey. I am sorry to hear of the loss of your uncle. He looks to be as much of a character as you. God Speed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

awesome weekend for you John! Great wins and I am glad we MADE them re announce P89 so you can get on the box haha.
    Sorry to hear for your uncle man, hope he keeps riding in heaven. The weirdest part of life is death... Stay strong my brother.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Monkey boy! That was fun to watch. I give you credit for climbing onto that bike. That takes some nuts.

I feel your pain with restarts, so I know what you're going through. In LWGP, I started 6th, then 8th, then 24th on a stalled 2nd restart.

You're still looking awesome out there. Bummer on the 5th gear issue in ULWSB, that could've been a win as well.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

John,

Sorry to hear about your Uncle passing away.

Great job out there on the track this weekend. As always great to hang with you in the pits and fun to watch you battling it out on the track, even when you wave to us in the turn 2 bleachers while coming through 1A after passing for the lead in turn 1! That was classic!

Joel

Nice write up. One quick correction, I (#115) was actually behind you when the other rider made contact with you into the bowl. No big deal, I can never keep numbers straight when I’m out on track and you're right he was taking some interesting lines out there. I had a blast chasing you down after that, until my carb issues forced me to pit with a couple laps to go.

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Aaron

Great write up John!!!

Sorry to hear about your Unc..

sorry to hear about your uncle bro, you had a great weekend and as always represented LDR proudly!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    John,
    As always great to hang with you in the pits and fun to watch you battling it out on the track, even when you wave to us in the turn 2 bleachers while coming through 1A after passing for the lead in turn 1! That was classic!

Joel
    Still not sure what I was thinking there. A little too much excitement I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by freezinvt View Post
    Nice write up. One quick correction, I (#115) was actually behind you when the other rider made contact with you into the bowl. No big deal, I can never keep numbers straight when I’m out on track and you're right he was taking some interesting lines out there. I had a blast chasing you down after that, until my carb issues forced me to pit with a couple laps to go.

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Aaron
    Shoot, I didn't mean to call out the wrong person! To be honest I got the number by looking back through the results. There's no way I would have remembered his number after the next lap, let alone days later. You must have passed him that same lap as well. You were motoring out there and I look forward to racing with you next race weekend!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing

No worries. I had a lot of fun out there. Unfortunately I won’t be making the next round but if you’re still an amateur in August, not a given at the pace you’re running, I look forward to being out there again with you.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Pretty sure the rider you are discussing is rider number 617 on an SV650. For a guy that had only ridden at Loudon once before and hadn't had any practice, his wife was in the turn 2 bleachers with us, he seemed to get around the track ok. Not saying that collisions on track are a good thing but he was going reasonably well speed wise.

I think the only reason I was able to gain on him was because of his lines. You're right, he was motoring for sure. If he straightens those out I'm going to have to up my pace for sure.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Great triple double as well John.

just wait for the fire breather. to get back all nice and Purdy!!!!!

So sorry for your loss.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Way to go John! Sorry to hear about your Uncle.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Pretty sure the rider you are discussing is rider number 617 on an SV650. For a guy that had only ridden at Loudon once before and hadn't had any practice, his wife was in the turn 2 bleachers with us, he seemed to get around the track ok. Not saying that collisions on track are a good thing but he was going reasonably well speed wise.
    I didn’t realize he was new to the track. He was certainly on pace, just used lines that were a little different in a few places but that makes sense if he was still working on learning the track.

Always fun watching you race John, I was watching ULSB from T1 and wondered what was happening as you dropped back. Bummer on the mechanical, but good job staying in it and getting some points.

Sorry again for your loss.

Hey man, you can't win them ALL! I was amazed to watch the sidecar performance, very inspiring. Thank you so much for all your help, every time I despaired you were there, I only hope I can be half as helpful to some other newb someday.
    I imagine your uncle was much like you, and left the world a better place than he found it. Godspeed to him.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Great weekend on the track, very sorry to hear about the personal loss. Totally jealous that you got to monkey, I would be all over that!

you're upside down. it was 917. 617 is Patrice on an R6.

27s in 5th gear on a hawk, lol Amazing!
    sorry to hear about your uncle, his mustache is great.