Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

AM #122 round 6 race report (brady)

AM #122 round 6 race report (brady)

Practice both days, race on Sunday

I got within 1/2 of my PB in practice Saturday, a miracle for me. Sunday practice was slower, don't remember why.

Sunday race 2 Am GTL: carnage, attrition, and I pass an expert
    It was really hot and humid. I was gridded in C, next to last row. The first start felt good, I passed a few going into T1 and was psyched to be keeping up with a pack of 4 or 5 that I knew were all faster than me.
    After tipping in for T6 I see someone on the ground (Bill Morey), everyone else checking up and scattering to avoid the bike and rider; I got by on the inside and may have been in second place for a few seconds until the red flag flew.

You've read the rest in other reports by now: we regrid, get sent back to the pits, and almost instantly get called back out.

Second start: decent again by my standards, keeping one eye on #220 Link keeping pace fairly close on my right, all of a sudden there's a bike coming in between us as the gap narrows (Hi Chris!). Chris and I bang bars, I get a good wobble but keep going, he bounces off me into Link, who disappears out of my peripheral. Turns out he took a big tumble and his bike kept going. Glad to hear he is mostly OK, and the bike should survive, too. Red flag. A nice woman on pre-grid pours water down my back, probably saved the race for me.

Third start: I don't really remember it, but stayed ahead of Chris (who was on shagged tires and still a little shaken up from a hard fall in practice and the contact in the previous start). The rest of the race felt good, but was lonely. After the start I apparently slotted right where I should be in the pack, and after the lead group pulled away there was almost no action for the rest of the race. But I was faster and knew it would be another
    PB. A BP adjustment had me feeling looser everywhere, and I starting dragging my knee occassionally in T3, T10, T11 and consistently in T12, none of which had never happened before. The tires were also sticking great, and I was no longer thinking about lean angle and grip, just feeling what they were telling me and getting on with it.

My glory moment: Scott Mullin came flying by in the T3 chute but went really wide, so I stayed tight and repassed him. And in my excitement at passing him for the first and last time in my career I gave it a some extra throttle up T4 and had a BIG rear end slide. A little less throttle and I was on my way again (thanks for the "ratchet" Ken C.!) watching Scott disappear towards T6.

The heat and restarts took their toll as I saw at least one rider pit in early. I had fortunately hydrated better than last round (turns out I need to drink past the point that makes me feel like throwing up) and was still feeling good. However the empty track in front of me killed my adrenaline, killer instinct, whatever so when #449 Kevin Fogg surprised me and got by on lap 7 I never got close enough to retake him. A red flag for Chuck in T3 ended it all just a few minutes early.

Result: 6th of 14 starters (10 finishers) and a new PB of 1:24.28

Race 8 Am LWSS: just a Sunday cruise

I was still beat and hot from the GTL, and knew this race would be slower. I slotted in behind my pit mate #500 Chris Aho on the start and was surpised to be keeping up with him, passing him exiting T2 on lap 5. Turns out he was nursing on his worn out tires and sore shoulder; I just wasn't quite as slow as he was. I don't remember much else, including whether or not I waved to any CW's on the cool down lap.

Result: 4th out of 5 finishers, over 3 seconds slower than my best lap in the GTL

Other stuff:
    There were a lot of crashes this round, but I'm glad everyone seems to be mostly OK, especially Link and Chris.

It was good to meet a few more of my AM competitors in the RSP garage.

I love the starts and flocking into T1 with bikes on either side. Multiple restarts not so much.

Big thanks to:

• my pit mate Chris for the shade, chair, and help (nice to meet your brother and dad)
    • Continental tires for predictable traction and wearing like iron
    • Bergs for delivering his front stand again
    • all the LRRS staff I have dealt with - always patient, professional, and helpful

PS: I admit it now, this is ridiculous. I'll be looking for a trailer over the winter.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Re: AM #122 round 6 race report (brady)

good job out there man.

about time you figured out the trailer thing still awesome that you spent your first race year riding the bike there

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar
    Was good to finally meet you. Congrats on the new PB and a great finish in a tough GTL.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Brady, It was cool to meet you and chris and its unfortunate what happenend. It still hurts when I sneeze or cough but I guess I am just about 100%. If you or chris want to borrow my rims with pirelli tires on them for the next race let me know. The tires have 3 race weekends on them and I won't be around for the next event obviously. Its a SC1 up front and a SC2 in the rear. I have tire warmers also if you need them.

AM#220

99 cbr 900 street
    02 sv 650 race

Thanks for the offer Link. I'm all set, but will make sure Chris sees this.

No worries on the stand, crazy man who rides his race bike to the races.

Just get a fricken trailer already! I've seen a few for sale up my way. If you're interested I'll get more info this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    No worries on the stand, crazy man who rides his race bike to the races.

Just get a fricken trailer already! I've seen a few for sale up my way. If you're interested I'll get more info this weekend.
    He not crazy....he is the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    He not crazy....he is the man!
    thanks Mike, that was a fun race yesterday, report to come in a day or two.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice bumping into you today Brady eagerly awaiting your report. Always entertaining.

Sounds like I missed a hell of a weekend. And +infinity on the trailer you crazy bastid.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Garage #17 Race Team ThunderCycle's Avatar

So I pull into the gas station on Saturday morning. There's a guy on SV filling up and carrying all his race supplies on the back of his bike. I knew it could only be one man. I walked over and said, "Are you Brady?" Sure enough, I met the man, the myth, the legend.
    Great meeting you Brady. I anxiously await your race report.

Mike

Great chatting with you too, Mike, and thanks for stopping by Sunday afternoon (and everyone else I had chance to meet this round). Next year I'm hoping for a "faster guy" rep instead of just being crazy.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

I, for one, will never forget the dude that did it old school and rode to and from the races this year. Good for you. That said, you'll love the trailer! Good work this season man.