Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

AM #319 Round 5

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

AM #319 Round 5

Didn't get around to doing this last round, and since I have at least part of today off I figured I'd write this up while it was still fresh in my mind.

Got to the track Thursday night a little later than we wanted. After unloading, setting up the camper, doing a quick round of hello's, etc. it was time to hit the rack. A rough week at work had me craving rest more than anything else at that point.

Friday I woke up sore as hell, and decided to take my time getting out on track. Made it out for a first session that was OK, nothing special but it reminded me which way the track turns, etc. T9 is, indeed, a left hander. I thought so but seem to remember going straight there a couple times during round 4, so it was good to confirm that before I tried to wick up the pace. It also allowed me to discover I was going to LOVE the perspective from the camera on the left of the fairing, fairly low.

The second session I did Friday was awesome. I was riding fairly easy on my second lap when Dana Temple (702) and Smokin' Joe Latona (73), both on EX500's, pitted out directly in front of me. I had a carrot, so game on. Everything clicked in that session, I felt really good and managed to hang onto Joe and Dana a lot longer than I expected to be able to. Came in from that session feeling great, confident, and ready for the weekend. Also sore as all hell, so I decided to take another session or two off. Then came a few red flags, shortened sessions, and oil on the track in 9 & 10 for what would have been my last session. Decided to sit it out since I was sore and had accomplished all I wanted in the 2nd session.

Saturday practices were fairly uneventful, my best friend and team mate AJ (6 Fingered Man), #951 had borrowed an EX due to Hawk issues and decided to run ptwins with us so I went out with him to see what I was in for in the race. It was his first time on the bike, however, and his riding that practice did not reflect what he'd be doing in the races. The 2nd session I tried on another suit that fit horribly and caused me pain, so I came in early.

Saturday, race 5, ptwin: After sitting on hot pit for over 10 minutes (thank god for my umbrella girl), we finally got started. Got stacked up behind some 'tards through 1-2 off the launch, watched AJ (951) go by in 2 and Coleman (Gunner, #525) on the inside of 3. Spent the first 5 laps trying to get back the ground I lost in the first half lap, making stupid mistakes and compounding the problem. By lap 5 AJ was gone and Coleman had the front straight on me. I told myself to forget them and ride my own ride, and ended up reeling Coleman right back in. Though about a pass between 6 & 7 but backed off to avoid a repeat of the Kurlon incident. Got right next to him in 11 but my front end got all unpleasant with me and I had to tuck in behind him. Still a fun race, but I wasn't happy with my placing or my times. I ran a bunch of 27's making mistakes, and then a couple low 26's once I got my head in the game (which is how I reeled Coleman in). Best lap 26.1, .6 seconds off my best.

Also worth mention is our local up and coming hero, Jake Vader (201), had an incident directly in front of me. He passed me over the hill, and my visor was instantly hit with fluid. I'd later learn that my camera got splattered too, from a hose that had come off his bike. It soaked his rear tire, and he lost it in 6. I was already a bit inside of him so I just kept the line tight and was out of there before I even registered the entire thing. He was OK and out kicking ass again the next day, so no worries.

Sunday was a more interesting day. First practice, 2nd lap AJ lost the front on the brakes directly in front of me in 3, after passing me between 2 & 3. He went down in a HUGE cloud of dust. I jacked the brakes, checked the bike up, stood up and weaved between him and his bike. That put me basically to the tires @ 3mph or so, so I stayed against the tires for a moment waiting for a break in traffic before re-entering. He was fine also, and back out 2nd session.

Saturday night I had a long convo with TimmyDuck about my T6 entry and the 15 fidgets I make on the way in.

GTL: I had the A slot. I despise the A slot, especially in GTL since a bunch of people motor me between launch and T1 and then park. I got around 4 bikes into 1, but Chris Aho (500) got around me in 2. Had a fairly uneventful race with a metric fuckton of 27's and a single 26. Not where I wanted to be. Got a fun thumbs up from our own goateed hero as he lapped me between 2 & 3. Stupid crap like that always makes me smile. Got the same from Mike Weyant (434) a lap or 2 later on the front straight. Race ended uneventfully with me in the back of the pack, as is the norm for GTL.

LWSM: Coleman, AJ and I all discussed this race. The conditions were sketch, we went from DOTs to rains back to DOTs last minute. We all agreed not to kamakaze ourselves out, and just ride smart. I followed AJ for the entire race and learned a lot about wet traction. Coleman hung out in the back. It was a ton of fun, even if it wasn't all that fast and I didn't win.

Ran into TimmyDuck again on the way out Sunday and he told me that he could see I was working on it, and the difference was night and day. He says I got from 15 fidgets to 2 or 3. Nice to identify another weakness, so that I can fix it. Thanks Timmy!

Big thanks to a lot of people, as usual. First and foremost, all my team mates and sponsors. Graham for coming through with the transponder charger when I forgot mine at home. Jess for being the best pit bitch/pit crew/umbrella girl a guy could ask for. All my friends, for making this as much fun as it is.

Overall it was a kickass weekend. Can't wait for 2 weeks from now!

Sidenote: This gopro is a beautiful thing. I plan to do a lot of studying of the videos, especially the ones from the back where I can see my BP. I am really hoping this is going to help get me into the 24's.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: AM #319 Round 5

Holla bud. I'm always pulling for ya. Can't wait to do it again in a couple weeks. I know you've spent a ron of time figuring out this issue and that one, and nobody will be more stoked than me when it all comes together and you start crushing times.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You have enough footage to put together a round 5 compilation.

That was the most fun i have had at loudon in a LONG time. Fun racing with ya, have to see if i can get an ex by next round.

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Always fun to see the mighty DDK in action! What Chip said, once the shit starts working FOR you, things are going to come together nicely!

Thanks all. I've been REALLY busy but a vid compilation sounds like a good idea from that round. I'd need to find a way to get in touch with Jeff for the OK before I put Jakes crash in there though.

I can't WAIT to do it again, only going faster! Just a few days now...

Cool. Pretty stoked to see that.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

OK, I'll make the vid. No promises on quality, I kinda suck at this stuff. Anyone know how to get in touch with Jake's dad Jeff? Expat on here methinks? He's one of the few of you I know better in person/face and barely at all online.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man View Post
    You have enough footage to put together a round 5 compilation.

That was the most fun i have had at loudon in a LONG time. Fun racing with ya, have to see if i can get an ex by next round.
    Mine is for sale with BRAND new tires on it, the new shock, new front end, rebuilt front caliper, new front rotor, new fluid, DO IT!

Oh...nice job too Dan.

Last edited by csmutty; 08-27-11 at 08:03 AM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    OK, I'll make the vid. No promises on quality, I kinda suck at this stuff. Anyone know how to get in touch with Jake's dad Jeff? Expat on here methinks? He's one of the few of you I know better in person/face and barely at all online.
    Jeff is on facebook fairly regularly. I would try him there.

Thanks Mike, I'll try that.

Working on that video. This crap is time consuming! From Both practices Saturday, a clip or two from Friday and Ptwin on Saturday I got ~3 minutes of video. I've still got all of sunday (2 practices, 2 races) to go through and edit highlights from. I probably spent an hour making the 3 minutes I have, it's time to go play in the storm for a while. I'll try to finish and post it later today.

edit: I got Jeff's permission to put Jake's T6 off in there