Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

AM 978, LRRS Round 4 - Race Report

AM 978, LRRS Round 4 - Race Report

Got up to the track Saturday morning around 7am. Personal best up until then was 1:23.3xx.

When I got there I noticed my water pump was leaking from the weep hole, which meant time for some quick surgery. New outer water pump seal and good to go. First practice made sure the bike was running right as I hadn't been on a motorcycle for 5 weeks...all good. Second practice turned some 23s on completely shot tires, rear was everywhere.

My first set of brand new tires ever for this bike went on after practice, thanks MTAG.

First race on Saturday was Amateur Super Singles. There were only 3 of us in AM and 10 experts so they started us all together. I went into turn one in front of all of the AMs, and I think behind all the experts. Ended up passing 4 of the experts and then riding the rest of the race alone. New PB of 1:22.472, I was pumped when I got back to the garage, thank you new tires. 1st place.

Second race on Saturday was ULSB. This was probably the best and most frustrating race I've ever been in. Came into t1 about 5th, luckily ahead of Jake Vader somehow. Over the first lap or two I worked my way to third, and this is when it got interesting. Travis Benisano on a monster 696 was in first, and Bill Morey was in second on his Hawk. I eventually got my way passed Bill and then started closing in hard on Benisano. That monster had SERIOUS motor. I was on his ass everywhere, but could not stick a pass on him. Front straight, 3, over the hill into the bowl, and the back straight he just pulled obscenely hard. Eventually, Jake worked his way through the field and got on my ass. On the 6th lap, Jake stuck a pass on me down the front straight due to a fresh top end rebuild. Last weekend we were neck and neck on the straight but his bike was running tip top this week and he pulled hard. I took it back on the outside of one. Next lap, same thing, he passed on the straight and I tried to take the outside of one again, late on the brakes. Jake executed a perfect block and purposely pushed wide, and blocked the pass. Super clean, played exactly right and held me off. Last lap, I was determined, and I could tell Jake was as well, because it was sickening how much motor the monster had on us. Coming into three, after talking to Jake post race, we both wanted to stick this pass by him, but couldn't quite do it and things got a bit hairy. To avoid hitting Jake my rear wheel was at least 2 feet off the ground. I got it back, and then ran wide, allowing Bill to pass me on the inside. I followed closely through the rest of the lap and sized him up for 11. I took him on the outside of 11 and just shoved the bike into 11a super tight and made it stick, footpeg deeply engraved into the ground. Looking at the times. The monster won with a best lap of 1:23.5, Jake was second with 1:22.4, and I was in third with a 1:21.9. I was pumped on the time and a new PB, but I wanted that win. Oh well, always next time. Third place.

Pit bike race. I took my roommates Vespa for the weekend so I entered into the Pit Bike race. God this was a blast, but I soon realized for the first time ever that I had a ton of motor on EVERYONE. I kept it fun though and tried not to race too unfairly, jumping the curb, giving rides to mopeds, dragging knee (forcefully) and just having fun. I thought the yellow flag was a joke, but no, someone got ran over. Last lap I gave the bike ahead of me about a half a lap lead and then gave it the beans. Ended up making it a photo finish, and I took the checkered flag by about 6 inches, victory lap and all. Although it didn't feel right with all the motor the Vespa had on them, we all sure had fun!

Disaster struck Saturday night as I locked my keys in my trunk. Roadside assistance came, and couldn't get it open, so I figured I'd deal with it in the morning. Headed to my friends place in Laconia for the night, and then got up at 5:30am and drove back to Boston to get my spare keys. Made it back to the track around 10am and missed both practices. What a night/morning.

LWSB, I was excited for this as my times from Saturday would put me at the front of the pack and I really wanted to mix it up with my teammate Lou. Sadly I was gridded on the inside, far back. I have great starts, but on the inside I'm not comfortable. Terrible start, almost dead last. I spent about 6 laps getting past riders, and spent the last 2 riding alone. Ticked off 23s once I got past traffic and finished 10th of 16th.

Last race was Amateur motard. Like super singles, there was only 2 of us, and they started us with the experts. Almost identical to the Super Singles race, I got my start, passed some experts, and then just rode alone the whole time. Ticked off more 23s and really worked on my reference points, 1st place.

I had a fun weekend, especially Saturday. Crushed my PB, hit 21s, consistently dragging knee through 8, and just had a fun time with the guys. I really took advantage of the open laps I got to work on my reference points and try to make sense of this whole racing thing.

Big thanks to my teammates Adam, Lou, and Dave. Marco for the pictures, and ECK and RSP for the company. Glad I got to meet Adam Clark and Chipper finally after all the help you guys have provided me on here getting my crf sorted. Can't wait for next race weekend, only 3 weeks away!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 07-23-12 at 07:08 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: AM 978, LRRS Round 4 - Race Report

Well done dude! 21's is moving!!!! And aren't new tires great?

Won't be long before you are expert.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Nice weekend. Looks like Ill have to watch out for you from now on. Youre only .3 of my pb on the tard.

James

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

great job.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Kick ass Jay! Glad those new slicks worked well for you, 21's is no friggin joke on a dirt bike!!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Looking really smooth this round. I got a chance to watch the motard race from T3 and you're moving through there. Keep it up!

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

21s!!! Great weekend Jay. I was super bummed you got bumped a grid spot. That ONE spot took you from 2D (right next to me) to 3A! What a bummer. I'm sure you would have been on the podium if you had the outside. But, who cares....you had great results and smashed your PB. Awesome weekend.

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Congrats on a great weekend! Multiple times breaking your PB and multiple podiums. You cant ask for much more!

Thanks everyone! So glad next race weekend is only 3 weeks away, this last break was an absolute killer.

Few shots, thanks Marco!

21s on a dirtbike... SMH... Excellent showing this weekend PITBIKE RACE CHAMPION!

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Nice work. Jake and Bill Morey both stepped it up a lot this weekend. No idea where Ben Travisano came from but he kicked my butt twice.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Jay, You are fast as hell. Keep it up and you will have white plates real soon. Probably aught to have them now.

Congrats on another fine weekend.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Jay, You are fast as hell. Keep it up and you will have white plates real soon. Probably aught to have them now.

Congrats on another fine weekend.
    I was thinking the same thing after looking at some of the EXs times

Thanks for the kind words.

Looking at times, yes I probably could make the bump to expert.

But I really don't have much track experience, just this season racing on the tard, and only 4 track days on a completely different middleweight machine prior to that. I think Pete said it best when he told me that running 22s on a motard is do-able by the seat of your pants, but the rest of the time is hard earned, and needs to be worked for. I'm just starting to push it past that point, and this was a big weekend for me mentally. I got to work really hard on reference points, pushing them back, and being consistent, which is really the name of the game.

With a bump to expert I'm afraid I would not take the time to slow it all down and just try to chase the fast guys in the previously mentioned "seat of my pants" style. If they bumped me up I would not question it, but I think at least another weekend as an AM wouldn't hurt.

My first track day on this bike will be the August 13 Tony's day, so I'm hoping to be able to get a lot of seat time and get more of that consistency.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 07-25-12 at 03:00 PM.

I don't think they'll autobump you. I think the rule books says you need like 400 points or you can ask to be bumped before that. So if you don't ask you should be good. I think if you aren't comfortable with moving up then don't.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Pete is right. IMO...now is when it gets fun. Picking up all the little tricks and tips along the way...and even finding out some yourself. That is what's it's all about.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I don't think they'll autobump you. I think the rule books says you need like 400 points or you can ask to be bumped before that. So if you don't ask you should be good. I think if you aren't comfortable with moving up then don't.
    I agree with all of this.

Great job with finishes Jay and good to meet you. Lookihng forward to chasing you around next round. I am going to bulk up to make myself wider

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Pete is right. IMO...now is when it gets fun. Picking up all the little tricks and tips along the way...and even finding out some yourself. That is what's it's all about.
    WTF? When did Christian grow up?