Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

AM 978, LRRS Round 6 - Race Report

AM 978, LRRS Round 6 - Race Report

Well, bike didn't get the top end re-fresh like I planned, tires also had 2 race weekends and a track day on em so I knew their life was starting to come to an end, but I was excited to try out some of the new stuff Paul showed me at last Tony's day.

Past two weeks of work have been crazy, hence my bike not getting the top end rebuild. I've been working pretty much 8-9am to 2-3am with the occasional night out at 9pm to recover. Actually just got off a call...on labor day at 11pm. All the work paid off as I was able to leave at 7pm on Friday and only answer emails over the weekend. I headed off to my Dad's house to get everything loaded up and packed.

Arrived at the track Saturday morning a little after 7. Got out for practice 1, alls good. Get ready for practice 2 and Marco noticed my right fork is leaking. Off to Kates for a front end re-fresh. Also replaced my front pads as well and my bike was back together just in time for race 5, Super Singles. As I'm checking pressures pre race I notice that my rear tire warmer is no longer working. Only 3 of us so we start with the experts. I get a start in behind some of the experts and end up running consistent 22s, until my 7th lap I ran 1:21.877, new PB down from 1:21.9xx. Finish first in the Ams, somewhere towards the back of the experts, happy with my awesome consistency (all 22s except my out lap and a 21). New front end felt AWESOME, but my rear was everywhere.

Next race was ULSB, which is highly competitive for me. I was able to borrow a warmer from Michael next door for this race, so big thanks there! Sadly, Ben Travisano was hurt from a crash earlier in the day, and Jake Vader, who had hit teens in practice, was pulled off the grid due to a front brake issue. So my main competition was Bill Morey and John Linn on their Hawks. I get the hole shot and never look back. Run consistent 22s with one 23 and take another victory. Bill and John actually had faster best laps then me, but I put on some distance at the start and managed to hold it to the end.

Sadly, my motor had been feeling tired all day. We checked the top speed using Lou's fancy lap timer and it was decreasing bit by bit as the day went on.

I sat out the pit bike race as after my unexpected front end fix cost me some dough and the malfunctioning tire warmer will eventually cost me so I let my teammate take my Vespa out. Sadly, he managed to knock himself out with a really scary crash during the race and got carted to the hospital. Big bummer to end the night. But he was back the next day to spectate, in rough shape, but he was there.

Next day I skip first practice to save some time on the motor, and turn a few laps during second practice feeling really good.

First race of the day for me was LWSB. I was pumped for this race, as always, as there is great racing due to the differences in bikes. I'm gridded 1d, my favorite. Also in the race are Shane Lewis on Pole, Kurtz in the row behind me, and Bill Cool and Jake Vader decided to try this race for the first time so they were in the back somewhere. I take the holeshot, and hold it for 4 laps. Right as the 5th lap started, Shane passes me on the straight and is able to hold me off into turn 1. I knew it wasn't an easy pass for him as it took him 4 laps so I know I have some time to feel him out. I show him a wheel a few times, and on the 7th lap, I take him on the outside 11, with some help from a lapper. He battles back down the front straight, passing me, but I am able squeeze by late on the brakes on the outside of 1. I knew if I kept the lead, it would be a run to the line because as you can see from the video below he had a lot of motor on me with his SV. I decide that I need to put as much distance as possible to stop this from happening. I brake late into 3, didn't seem too hot but the front end went out causing me to crash on the last lap while in the lead! I get right back up, start the bike and end up finishing 7th. I thought it was finally my time to win this one, but guess I'll have to wait until October. It was a great battle, most fun I had all weekend for sure. Outlap was a 24.1, four 21s, two 22s, and a 41 on my last lap. New PB of 1:21.370!

Last race was Motard. This was terrible as I was the only Am so I took first. I started with the experts but still am not quite fast enough to hang with the lead group so its a lonely race. Also, they used tight 10, so any lap times were useless. I used the race to practice a couple things and that's about it.

I think I personally had a good weekend overall. Big thanks to Adam, Dave, Lou and their families and friends. Michael for the warmer. Fun times with ECK and RSP next door. Met a lot of you guys this weekend as well. Looking forward to October.

Shane's first pass is at 5:30, my pass back is at 9:20, and my crash is at 10:05.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 09-03-12 at 10:33 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: AM 978, LRRS Round 6 - Race Report

New PB on old tires and a tired motor eh?

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

get that top end rebuilt and stay on the bike next round

Great weekend as always Jay. The pass in T11 was breathtaking to watch. Holy shit man..

See you next round.

Oh and Carla is a sweetie. You can bring her anytime

Great job on the PB and the win! See ya in October.

It was good finally meeting you! Get that motor refreshed and you're going to be a real monster! Congrats!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Well earned first =) Despite the crash it still sounds like you had a pretty decent weekend. Looking forward to seeing you in October!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

A lot of ups and downs. That LWSB race was epic. Every time you and Shane came down the front straight, we wondered who would get into T1 first. Bummer for the last lap slid though. Congrats on the win in ULSB.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Wirelessly posted

Nice!

Paul_E_D

Wirelessly posted

Arg, double post

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 09-05-12 at 04:03 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Nice dude! In ULSB I was hoping to chase you for my re-debut on the tard but it just wasn't meant to be... you checked out

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    Well earned first =) Despite the crash it still sounds like you had a pretty decent weekend. Looking forward to seeing you in October!
    All NESR podium...doesn't get much better than that.

Body positioning was something big I was working on this weekend. After looking at photos I ride a bit crossed up, so I focused on keeping my feet planted on the pegs, tucked in, which really helped everything, especially toe drag in three, and handlebar pressure on the brakes. I emphasized keeping my weight on the outside foot which stopped me from getting my ass off the seat too much, and made me lead with my upper body to keep the bike standing up straight. There are a lot of styles to riding a motard, but from the looks of things the fast guys at Loudon using a superbike type technique works best.

For example:

Trevor and Shane
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p277341153/h41580e46#h41580e46

Me
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p277341153/h41580f94#h41580f94

Next thing to try is scooting back on the seat a bit to allow me to get my upper body lower to the ground as those guys are doing.

Things are starting to come together for me...consistency is becoming spot on and I'm sticking passes in more places and with more confidence. Really wanted that win in LWSB thought! That would have absolutely made this weekend.

I'm battling whether or not to rebuild the top end of my motor in a 3 week rush or just wait for the winter and really have all the time I need. My options are rebuild all and run my normal 4 weekends in October or to try to get by on the current set up and only run 2 races...I really don't want to explode this thing but time is an issue here.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 09-05-12 at 10:51 AM.

I think your body positioning looks pretty good. Only diff is those guys get their head down more. I have tried to do that as well but based on photos I'm not quite there yet, but felt pretty good in general this weekend:

http://photos.otmpix.com/p277341153/h4158b46a#h4158b46a

I also worry that different body positions can contribute to making unplanned bar inputs... which are bad on a tard since the bars are so long. In order to get your head down more you have to slide your butt back and that does seem to make the front less wonky for me, so maybe I should work on that more.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    I think your body positioning looks pretty good. Only diff is those guys get their head down more. I have tried to do that as well but based on photos I'm not quite there yet, but felt pretty good in general this weekend:

http://photos.otmpix.com/p277341153/h4158b46a#h4158b46a

I also worry that different body positions can contribute to making unplanned bar inputs... which are bad on a tard since the bars are so long. In order to get your head down more you have to slide your butt back and that does seem to make the front less wonky for me, so maybe I should work on that more.
    Agreed.

That was a picture of me this weekend utilizing all the things I worked on. I'm too lazy to go searching, but previous rounds pictures of me do not look like that.

I only did a 24.4... I really bitched it up on the brakes. I think cornerspeeds were pretty good though. And I need to change my gearing again.

But I look fast in that photo, so I bought it! LOL

Are you riding in AM the final weekend as well? Then I assume you'll be getting auto-bumped over the winter yeah?

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    I only did a 24.4... I really bitched it up on the brakes. I think cornerspeeds were pretty good though. And I need to change my gearing again.

But I look fast in that photo, so I bought it! LOL

Are you riding in AM the final weekend as well? Then I assume you'll be getting auto-bumped over the winter yeah?
    I actually petitioned two Friday's ago with no response...although when I petitioned I only had 12 races out of the necessary 15, 380 points out of the necessary 400, and Shane running a 1:16.3 put me just a hair out of the 107% threshold for early advancement as it required a 1:21.6 and I only had a 1:21.9. I now have a 1:21.370, so I am good to go.

I have the AM championship for Motard and Supersingles on lock even if I don't compete as an AM this next weekend since there are so few entries. If I win LWSB next weekend I could possible managed a 4th place in the championship, so I'm not that concerned about it as I will not get a podium no matter what. ULSB is the most competitive for me and I am currently sitting in third behind Bill and Jakey but I don't think I will manage to pass them. I didn't bump until the classic, so two weeks down and still being in third feels like a good accomplishment. Next closest competitor in ULSB is Roland, but I'm far enough ahead of him that I would hold third if I didn't race.

There is also the over all amateur points race, with cash payouts, which I don't want to sacrifice. But again, I am 2 weekends down so I am not sure how that is going to shake out.

Last thing on my mind is ROTY which requires me to advance when eligible, but I know there are a few guys beating me out on this. In my garage alone Adam bumped to expert by week 3 or 4 and Lou bumped last weekend...so I'm not sure if bumping for this is worth it.

I really enjoy racing with Jake, Bill and John in ULSB and also all the SV guys like Kurtz, Billy Cool and Shane Lewis in LWSB, not sure if I want to give this fun up on the last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    There is also the over all amateur points race, with cash payouts, which I don't want to sacrifice. But again, I am 2 weekends down so I am not sure how that is going to shake out.
    Shoot me a PM and I'll check tonight to lyk where you are in that race. There are enough people podiuming 6-8 races/wkend each in AM that if you bump you're definitely out of the running.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Shoot me a PM and I'll check tonight to lyk where you are in that race. There are enough people podiuming 6-8 races/wkend each in AM that if you bump you're definitely out of the running.
    right now there are 2 guys in the top 10 Am points that haven't done every weekend. So does that mean everyone moves up accordingly or do they just go by the total points and not pay the guys who missed a weekend?

Jay even taking out the 2 above you who haven't competed in every weekend that still puts you in 12th. you're gonna have to do all the races you can and do well if you really want to crack the top 10. If I was you I'd try getting the bump. spending a bunch of money on a bunch of races doesn't seem worth it to make a few bucks back.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    right now there are 2 guys in the top 10 Am points that haven't done every weekend. So does that mean everyone moves up accordingly or do they just go by the total points and not pay the guys who missed a weekend?

Jay even taking out the 2 above you who haven't competed in every weekend that still puts you in 12th. you're gonna have to do all the races you can and do well if you really want to crack the top 10. If I was you I'd try getting the bump. spending a bunch of money on a bunch of races doesn't seem worth it to make a few bucks back.
    Yeah, that doesn't sound too promising. Where can I see the list of total amateur points?

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Picking up hte pace Jay. Keep it up . You should be in with a good group of experts.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't sound too promising. Where can I see the list of total amateur points?
    go to my.nhms.com and click on results. there's a folder for overall 2012. you can click the number next to each person and see what races they've done and how many points they got in it. Justin Torres and Antonio Marchetti are the 2 that have missed a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    go to my.nhms.com and click on results. there's a folder for overall 2012. you can click the number next to each person and see what races they've done and how many points they got in it. Justin Torres and Antonio Marchetti are the 2 that have missed a weekend.
    FYI, Travisano is also out of the running since he didn't bump by The Classic.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    FYI, Travisano is also out of the running since he didn't bump by The Classic.
    I missed that part of the rule book. Jay that's one more spot.

Renumbered:
    1039 1 623 AM Tasker, Dave
    997 2 823 AM Ealy Jr, Roger
    760 3 187 AM Torres, Justin
    604 3 276 AM Lewis, Shane
    598 5 838 AM Marchetti Jr., Antonio
    588 4 387 AM Graffam, Larry
    584 5 632 AM Tanner, Brendin
    542 6 331 AM Babaian, Brett
    528 7 201 AM Vader, Jake
    520 8 447 AM Coolahan, William
    496 9 678 AM French, Walter
    494 10 325 AM Bouchard, Christopher
    486 11 130 AM Travisano, Ben
    479 11 978 AM Ameno, Gennaro
    455 12 868 AM Morey, William
    455 13 183 AM Gallusser, Joshua