Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am #978 Round 5 - I managed to break a motard

Am #978 Round 5 - I managed to break a motard

Cliffs at bottom.

Friday night was a long night. Left Boston around 8, stopped by my parents house to meet Marco and then to his house to pick up his bike for his first track day on monday. Then back to my parents house to go put fluids back in my bike as I was out of crush washers last time I worked on it (more on this later) and my friend went and picked some up for me while I was at work. Needless to say, after everything was said and done and put together, I was in bed around 1:30 and then back up at 5:15.

Damp, muddy track in the morning. Practice 1 was to make sure my bike still worked and check out the track. Practice 2 I started turning it up, ended up turning a 1:22.5. Lap after that, coming into one, reach end of pit wall, hit brakes, BANG, I'm on the ground and into the tires. I ended up way up there, slightly behind my bike. Bikes leaking something and one side of my bars was bent to my radiator and my belly pan had completely fallen off with all mounts broken. It hurt, but I'm okay, sore as hell but no serious injuries. If anyone saw this happen and can fill me in on why my right side is in severe agony even though I lowsided onto my left side I would greatly appreciate it.

Got back to the pits, I have race 5, time to get the bike together. We found the culprit being an incorrectly sized crush washer on my transmission fluid drain bolt. Guess my friend got me the wrong ones...Well, Dave and Trevor give me the correct ones, not sure if you guys are on here but thanks a ton! You guys absolutely rock. Adam Clark rolls over and helps me take the bike apart and lends me a set of bars. Adam, I can ship those back to you ASAP if you need em, if not I'll have em for you at the next round. Thanks so much, without those my weekend would have been done!

Well, Because of a different bend, and a slight bend in the new bars I can't get my controls exactly where they were as the bark busters wouldn't fit perfectly on em, but no big deal something I'd have to get use to and had no problem doing so.

First race is Super Singles, just me and one other person in AM so they start us with the experts. I was trying to get my confidence back into one and slowly increased my times. 1:28 out, 24, 23, 22, 22, 23, then a red flag. I take first place out of the amateurs, finish somewhere towards the back with the experts but not last.

Second race, ULSB. I was excited for this one as there is a lot of competition, specifically between me, Jake Vader, Bill Morey and Ben Travisano who is an absolute beast. He ran something like 12 races this weekend and hit 20s. Learned to find out that his bike, the one with all the motor beating me in ULSB last week is one of the Woods old Monster 696, bored something like 100 over with about 80hp...I don't mind losing to him anymore, but I was gonna do my best. I line up in first row on the outside (my favorite spot) and take the holeshot. I absolute bury my head and never look back until the end of the race. Didn't get challenged the whole race. Come to find out that everyone got held up by this big ol ducati that is ULSB legal and by the time they got around him I was too far gone. I then looked at my times for this race and was stunned:

Outlap was a 1:24.5 followed by 1:21.984 (new PB) followed by 1:22.2, 1:22.3, 1:22.4, 1:22.5, 1:22.2, 1:22.5....holy consistency especially considering I road entirely alone the whole race.

That night I drank too much and slept too little.

Morning practice went okay on a dry track. My right side was in agony, so much I could barely kickstart my bike, but it got better as the day went on. The rain came, then the sun came and things dried up.

First race was LWSB, I was gridded 1d (perfect) and was waiting for this race all weekend. Me, Lou, Kurtz, Ben, it was gonna be a fun one for sure. I get a terrible start, and go into 1 in 4th behind Kurtz, Lou and Ben, in that order. Ben and Lou end up getting by and then the battle is on between me and Kurtz. We go back and fourth a few times with some AWESOME racing. I take Kurtz on the inside of 4, he gets me back on the outside of 1, then I out brake him into 3 and am able to hold him off for the rest of the race. I have the video I'm just too tired to put it up at the moment. I start to reel in Lou but there isn't enough time left and I take 4th, my best finish in LWSB so far. Best lap time of 1:22.3.

Next race is Motard. My go-pro died so sadly I didn't get my start on video but it was PERFECT. Since there is only 2 of us again we start with the experts. I start 4a and go into t1 in 4th! Ahead of Shane! Well, that didn't last long. I stick with the guys until Shane passes me on the inside into the bowl. I've seriously never seen anyone brake so damn late and take such and inside line. Oh and lets add to the fact that post apex he waves to the crowd one footed. I keep the fast experts in sight for 2 laps and then they're gone, but hey, I'm sitting in 5th with the experts! Last lap an expert passes me into 1. I could have held him off, but we were in different races, he's an expert, and I had nothing to prove so I let him get the line into 1a. Either way, I take first in Amateur Motard and 6th overall with the experts. Best lap time of 1:22.4.

I did the Tony's day today. Had a good time with the guys. Best part of the day was an awesome tow from Paul, I learned a ton and am comfortable that one session alone has made me a better rider/racer. Lots to work on, can't wait for next race weekend!

Cliffs:

Super Singles: First
    ULSB: First
    LWSB: Fourth
    Motard: First

New PB of 1:21.984 up from 1:21.996.

Had a blast at Tonys.

Special thanks to Adam Clark for the bars, Dave and Trevor for the crush washers, Christian for the help putting my bike back together, my garage/teammates Adam (and family), Lou and Dave for being super cool dudes, Marco for the garage support, Tony for the flawless track day, Paul for the killer tow and pointers, and of course RSP and ECK for the good times.

See you all in 3 weeks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 08-13-12 at 10:35 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: Am #978 Round 5 - I managed to break a motard

Dude nice job! You really took to that bike quick! Call me impressed. White plates are in your VERY near future.

But I still can't figure out how you broke a motard.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I didn't know you hurt yourself. you seemed ok when we talked on Sunday. I bet you took the bar to your side and that's why it hurts. If Patrice can ever get his video to work I demonstrate how to crash at the end of the straight and not get hurt.
    by Shane do you mean Narbonne? you held him off until T6, damn that's pretty good. He attempted to do the Dash on the motard also, I wanted him to lap me on it but I guess something happened and he didn't finish.

Very nice. Making some huge progress. You need to slow it down a bit or youre going to be faster then me when I get back.

James

You are gonna get bumped! Good job!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

You're on a serious roll. Keep it up. You'll be banging bars with the guys up front in ex in no time.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I didn't know you hurt yourself. you seemed ok when we talked on Sunday. I bet you took the bar to your side and that's why it hurts. If Patrice can ever get his video to work I demonstrate how to crash at the end of the straight and not get hurt.
    by Shane do you mean Narbonne? you held him off until T6, damn that's pretty good. He attempted to do the Dash on the motard also, I wanted him to lap me on it but I guess something happened and he didn't finish.
    Hurt myself is a bit of a stretch. Nothing is broken and nothing is going to be a long lasting injury. Its one of those things that hurts a ton off the bike, but as soon as I got on the track I completely forgot about it until I got back to the garage.

And yes, Shane is insane. Holding him off until 6 isn't very impressive as I'm sure he was either doing a wheelie down the back straight or had a really bad start and already worked through 3 other people.

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Very nice. Making some huge progress. You need to slow it down a bit or youre going to be faster then me when I get back.
    I need you back out there, need the carrot.

You've got serious grit. I'm always amazed how calm you are when you're doing major surgery to your bike just minutes before a race. And you didn't let the tranny fluid on the outside of your tire get in your head either. Ice cold.

Great weekend, three 1sts and a new PB on a few hours of sleep. I'd hate to see you all rested up...

edit: Oh yeah, time to abandon the one crash a weekend routine. Damn rookies!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudog; 08-14-12 at 09:11 AM.
    Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Hurt myself is a bit of a stretch. Nothing is broken and nothing is going to be a long lasting injury. Its one of those things that hurts a ton off the bike, but as soon as I got on the track I completely forgot about it until I got back to the garage.

And yes, Shane is insane. Holding him off until 6 isn't very impressive as I'm sure he was either doing a wheelie down the back straight or had a really bad start and already worked through 3 other people.

I need you back out there, need the carrot.

Hopefully in Sept

James

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Man, my leathers need a good douching.

Man, my leathers need a good douching.
    If you clean those that means you need to wash your white snowpants

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Kickin' ass & takin' names. Like Christian said, expert isn't far away for you. 20's are a definite possibility before the end of the season.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    Kickin' ass & takin' names. Like Christian said, expert isn't far away for you. 20's are a definite possibility before the end of the season.
    I'm gonna try to do a fresh top end before the September weekend....that and good weather may be what I need. I think my motor is starting to feel a bit tired. Got to fight the urge to build the motor and keep it reliable...got to fight the urge, but its just as easy/cheap to install a 13:1 compression piston as it is an 11.5:1. Decisions, decisions.

Also can't wait to try out the line changes Paul showed me....my 9/10 were a wreck, which I knew, but subtle changes here and there can be made throughout. And Paul also spelled it out for me that knowing a couple ways around the track is a big help when it comes time to sticking that pass on bigger bikes and not having to wait for 1 and 3 to pass people on the brakes. I really think that track day may have been what I needed.

If I get out of work at a decent hour tonight I'll post up the LWSB vid as its the only one I got for some critiquing.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 08-15-12 at 09:25 AM.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Despite the crash you came back STRONG! What a great weekend for you! Grats on the new PB and on all the first place finishes!

I'm so glad you did not get busted up in T1 Jay. You rebounded and brought home some serious wood!!!

Way to go man.

So back in the spring we were looking for a fourth guy for our garage 2. We hear that this guy Jay is looking for a spot. Who the hell is he??? Seems like a cool dude. Why not.

Turns out Jay is a cool Bro that can haul some major ass!!! So glad he was able to join us. We have a garage full of ass haulers.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

great Job this weekend and nice recovery.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I'm gonna try to do a fresh top end before the September weekend....that and good weather may be what I need. I think my motor is starting to feel a bit tired. Got to fight the urge to build the motor and keep it reliable...got to fight the urge, but its just as easy/cheap to install a 13:1 compression piston as it is an 11.5:1. Decisions, decisions.

Also can't wait to try out the line changes Paul showed me....my 9/10 were a wreck, which I knew, but subtle changes here and there can be made throughout. And Paul also spelled it out for me that knowing a couple ways around the track is a big help when it comes time to sticking that pass on bigger bikes and not having to wait for 1 and 3 to pass people on the brakes. I really think that track day may have been what I needed.

If I get out of work at a decent hour tonight I'll post up the LWSB vid as its the only one I got for some critiquing.
    As payment for that, I need one carb slide wheel thingy from the FCR. Smutty said you may have one for me?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    As payment for that, I need one carb slide wheel thingy from the FCR. Smutty said you may have one for me?
    Haha, there is a solid chance I have one as Smutty gave me a ton of random spares. If I do its yours. I have no idea what part you're talking about though, so I'll probably need some clarification...part number here?

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fich...02&fveh=124565

I keep the bike at my parents house so I can take a look around next weekend and let ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    I'm so glad you did not get busted up in T1 Jay. You rebounded and brought home some serious wood!!!

Way to go man.

So back in the spring we were looking for a fourth guy for our garage 2. We hear that this guy Jay is looking for a spot. Who the hell is he??? Seems like a cool dude. Why not.

Turns out Jay is a cool Bro that can haul some major ass!!! So glad he was able to join us. We have a garage full of ass haulers.
    Thanks, I think things have worked out quite smoothly...and if you haven't seen it:

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Oh, it's part 28 on that. I didn't know I could buy them separately, so I'll just order one up if it's not easy for you to locate.

Thanks...

Paul_E_D

Gotcha, I'll be able to take a look on Saturday or Sunday...I've always ordered these types of things through my local honda shop and had em in 2 days. I've never bought through the link I sent you so I can't attest to how quickly/if they will be able to get em.

Great hanging with you this weekend Jay, and great racing with you, that LWSB race was a blast! I had a hell of a time staying close to you once you got by, and I think chasing you around may have helped me in some spots going forward, you are an ANIMAL down into the bowl!

Can't wait to see that video, I'm curious how close that T1 move really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Great hanging with you this weekend Jay, and great racing with you, that LWSB race was a blast! I had a hell of a time staying close to you once you got by, and I think chasing you around may have helped me in some spots going forward, you are an ANIMAL down into the bowl!

Can't wait to see that video, I'm curious how close that T1 move really was.
    Ha, it really wasn't bad at all!

Here's the video. My last pass on Kurtz comes at about 6 minutes, and then I get my clean open laps for the rest of the video and those are a better representation of my normal lines/braking points.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 08-17-12 at 10:59 PM.

Outlap was a 1:24.5 followed by 1:21.984 (new PB) followed by 1:22.2, 1:22.3, 1:22.4, 1:22.5, 1:22.2, 1:22.5....holy consistency especially considering I road entirely alone the whole race.
    THAT'S what I"m talkin about, kid!

Great ridin, Jay. Can't believe how well you damn rookies have been doing this year. Been seriously impressed with the four of you guys in Center Garage 2. Good on ya!

PS, I appologize in advance if Gino and I gave Ben Trav. a little too much help on Mon/Tues.

Last edited by OreoGaborio; 08-17-12 at 11:40 PM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #81 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast