Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Amateur 117 ROC 2013

Amateur 117 ROC 2013

Sorry, I’ll try to keep this brief but a lot happened in a short period of time so just skip to the end if you want to. I won’t be offended (or even know for that matter). I know some of this is a repost from the other Daytona thread but I wanted to create an "official" race report.

This trip blossomed from just me heading down to my wife, dog and I piling in a borrowed van with a couple bikes and making a family trip out of it. I brought down my bike and one for Bill Morey (yknot) a team mate from Loudon. Bill flew down as did Joel Robie (another team mate) and Gino. Yes, that Gino. Having that crew down there couldn’t have worked out better and I can’t thank them enough but I’ll get there.

Thursday practice started off on a bad note. A really bad note. I had my first crash of the season on my first lap of Daytona. I was one of the first people on track and instead of following my own line at my own pace I wanted to follow another rider to get an idea of where I should be. I misjudged my speed going into the chicane, stood it up across the grass and tipped it in when I hit the asphalt. I probably would have made it but the grass was wet and at that point so were my tires. I went down on my right side pretty hard but got up and rode (meekly) back to the pits. The crew kicked into high gear and replaced the bits and pieces that were broken, borrowing a spare brake master cylinder from Bill. I needed the practice and rode the rest of the day not missing a session due to the quick handiwork in the pits. I settled down and had fun the rest of the day learning the track and how to draft.

We all went back to Gino’s parents house that evening for a soak in their pool and way more steak than I could eat. If you ever get a chance to visit them I can’t recommend it highly enough. They are great folks and awesome hosts. My hand was very sore and swelling. During my shower I noticed the pinky was pretty well solidly bruised and the next two fingers and palm were purplish too. Friday morning my hand looked like a sausage and hurt badly so I skipped the two morning practices that I had planned on running. I spent the day alternating ice and compression on the hand.

During the second practice on Saturday a bolt that held one of the replacement radiator brackets fell out. The radiator rubbed on the hot header and popped a leak. I didn’t realize it until I was coming off track and the bike had overheated. Again the crew stepped up and had it replaced before race time. I was running GTL to get a feel for the competition and what it felt like to race on the track. I had an uncharacteristically good start and was passing into fourth place when I went wide into the International Horseshoe. I lost a few spots there but put my head down determined to make something of this race. When I crossed the start/finish line there was a board out there with a 1(blank)7 and the meatball flag. I’m number 117. I looked around my bike and didn’t see any issues but took an easy lap and came into hot pit. Apparently it was intended for the rider in back of me. I was pissed and took off out of there like my ass was on fire. I picked off the two last position riders but when I looked down next the bike was running way hot. I pulled off knowing it wasn’t going to last another 20 minutes and it was the third strike on that race anyway. We tinkered on the bike refilling the cooling system and burping it again.

Sunday first practice went well but my hand still hurt badly and the bike was still climbing in temp but slow enough it should make the race. I skipped second practice. ULSB was supposed to be my race. At this point my only hope was to not let down everyone who had been so supportive of me. I had a really crappy start but pushed very hard during the first lap picking off a good portion of the field. By lap two the first three positions had checked out and were pretty much out of view. I had a good battle for fourth and slowly reeled in another rider as the race wound down. Unfortunately it was an expert racer so I finished just shy of the podium. All things being taken into account I was quite happy with the results. My best time was a very respectable 2:11.205.

I’m awkwardly typing this as my right hand is now in a cast. I broke the outer hand bone (metacarpal) from about the mid point back to the wrist. It’s not a super bad fracture or anything but it does go all the way back into the joint so if it doesn’t heal properly than it’s supposedly almost instant arthritis. Hence the cast.

I hate to say it but I think the days of the Hawks winning in Daytona are pretty much over. Maybe with a huge build and a lucky run but realistically they just can’t compete with a superbike SV. The three riders in front of me were all turning laps near 2:06. I definitely could have been faster at some points in the infield but I don’t think that would make the five seconds of difference. Both Bill and I felt seriously outgunned in the horsepower department but both had great showings despite that. It was an incredible experience and I had a great time.

OK, here come the pre-requisite thank you’s. First and foremost, to the crew that came down. Bill, Gino, Joel, Gene and Marie Berrio and my wife are the only reason I stayed sane and had my bike together for the race. Period. I owe them a lot! Adam Butler (Rada) loaned me his camera so I was able to get the video you see below. Bill (behindthetimes) loaned me a set of sprockets. Butler Performance Machining made a very generous contribution toward the diesel fund for the trip. MTAG hooked me up with a good deal on Pirelli tires. My father for the use of the van. Tony’s Track Days for an awesome season of teaching and learning. Last but not least, my teammates on Low Down Racing. Racing wouldn’t be the same without you! Especially Kristen, the “team mom” who makes sure we have the proper clothes on and decals to show our pride!

All in all this was an appropriate way to end the season. It's been an incredible year with a lot of optimistic goals reached and generally an amazing race season. My few days racing in Daytona epitomized racing to me. Great lows and highs. I apparently needed a humbling but I had great friends and family there to pick up the pieces, laugh about it and get my ass back out on track. I had a lot of support on this venture and that really kept me going. Hopefully I can repay some of those efforts next year as well as paying forward some of the skills I've learned to up-and-coming racers. I look forward to disposing of my bags of sand and racing with white plates next year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2jBEiHCAU

http://s493.photobucket.com/user/its...?sort=3&page=2

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Trouble; 10-29-13 at 11:30 AM.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Amateur 117 ROC 2013

What a great read, John. An awesome way to end the season, even with the issues.

But you can say that you've been there and done that, which a lot of us can't.

Looking forward to seeing you on the grids in 2014.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Fantastic show John. I wish I could have come down to see it in person........
    Glad I could help in some small way....

Great read and I am sure great memories for you !

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

It was an honor racing next to you all season.
    Can I see I fe proud of what you did? It kinda feels stupid to have any sense of pride for someone's accomplishments I had nothing to do with.

Glad you made it. Happy for the ups, sorry for the downs. Keep up the good job and go kill it as an expert next year!

what were the lap times on the beard?

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

So you raced Daytona...with a broken hand? You're even more badass than the beard would lead one to believe.

It makes for a good story too. Much better than someone else I know who hurt themselves opening a can of carrots.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -