Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Baja 1000

Baja 1000

A guy who I went to high school with just raced the Baja 1000 this past week in Mexico. Seeing all the pics on social media and stories was amazing. One of his mentors wrote up a great piece on fb that I'd like to share:

I've been passionate about motorcycles since about the time I was In diapers. I've been fortunate enough to support some of the top Moto racers in Baja for the past several years.. I'm humbled that these guys would have me. I've learned a ton myself.. From the most squared away guys in Baja.

Several months ago.. I was contacted by a young guy, Tyler Gagnon from Connecticut.. With some Moto skills and a dream..he wanted to Race the Baja 1000 as an Ironman. We exchanged emails .. Basically I said.. " No way.. I'm not going to help you kill yourself
    smile emoticon

This kid was not going to take no for an answer so I started with .. " Do you know where Mexico is and so on". Eventually.. The hook was set.

I'm not an expert by any stretch.. But have managed to get along on some trips and races and avoided your typical cartel beheadings. I gave where I could on mapping, pit plan, radios, general logistics and it all came together for the guys. Racer 731x was getting his plan together!

A few weeks ago.. These crazy fuckers show up in a converted ambulance chase rig that they drove cross-country. I followed their journey on Instagram which consisted of shots of their bare asses at every major monument that they could find (Moto guys!)

They swung by my house on the way to prerun and I sent them off with my handheld nav with the course and e32. More pics of prerunning and all of a sudden it's race day.

Was out at Race Mile 105 early in the race and parked my rig conspicuously.. Kid was heads up and making respectable time.

Transferred over to the east side of Baja to catch everyone coming through later Friday evening. Tracking my 731x on the radio.. Still moving, still on it !

Stayed up till 230 am watching the race and on the radio.. Thinking about this young guy... 18 hours on a bike and just arriving at the long whooped out infamous silt beds with mechanical velociraptors (850 hp trophy trucks) now descending upon him.

I went to bed knowing he had made it through some of the hairiest sections.

Woke up at 630am.. Back on the radio. 731x still moving. Report of his backup chase rig (not the ambo) having a midnight disagreement with a cow. Occupants safe, cow walked away.. Truck destroyed. Perfectly normal.. Let's get our rider to the finish..

My other friends were headed to Gonzaga Bay (one of Baja’s best spots) I elected to wait at our camp at Borrego (130 miles from finish) for my rider. 731x came through at around 11am, I waved and he stopped. He was alive and well and in great spirits (29 hours on a moto). I offered him food, drink and fuel.. but his chase guys were already taking great care of him and off he went.

Hit the road toward Ensenada.. a few miles up.. I see his chase rig and crew. We all jump around like idiots and high fives were shared. THIS MIGHT ACTUALLY HAPPEN!

I offer to help on Chase for the final leg. Not so much as these guys needed me.. but I WANT to see this go down!

We convoy through the speed zones with the Ambulance out front, Me sweeping and the rider nestled safely in the middle like a shipment of gold to Ft. Knox. I stayed with the chase guys and we pitted a few times coming in. I took them into Ensenada and right through security onto the big stage..The Podium and we awaited their guy (I guess “our guy” because I am invested now!)

Around 3pm, our 731x rolls up to the Podium. He and his crew are ELATED. Roger Norman sticks a microphone in his face and asks him why he did it. He blames it on the film “Dust to Glory” not knowing that the producer Dana Brown is standing next to him with a camera in hand.

Amazing, simply amazing… that this young man chased this impossible dream and made it happen. By the numbers.. roughly 20 times as many people have summited Mt. Everest, as people have finished the Baja 1000 as an Ironman Moto (solo rider)

Much respect, Tyler Gagnon 731x and to your amazing crew. Humbled to be a part of your journey.

Michael Franchek

Here's his instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/tygagnon22/

Just amazing.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Re: Baja 1000

Way too cool. I'd argue with Not Sure, I'm saying this is thread of the year.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

that's awesome. I have a friend that is a record holder at Bonneville in numerous classes that all revolve around the infamous flathead Ford, that was last produced in 1953... and WHY? All because someone told him he couldn't. Long live the people that march to their own drum.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

As I said over the texts. Pretty fucking legit.
    3rd place in a race in which most don't even finish is pretty fucking serious.

Sav, this has you written all over it. 2018.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

cool story

Awesome!

+1 vote for thread of the year

I cannot fathom what that would take for training, prep, and stamina.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

SO RAD!!!!

that's a TON of hours on a moto...serious endurance

can't say I could ever do anything like that LOL...no comparison, but carrying out my own dream from dirt bike magazine article maybe 20 years ago - riding 500 miles of LA-Barstow to Vegas this weekend!!! not intense, you can granny ride it on a crf230 on the "easy ways" and still finish it no problem...consider it a weekend riding trip. waaaay cheaper too...which is my kind of ride

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-26-15 at 12:23 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Good luck breakdirt! We know you'll fill us in on all the details.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice