Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bike Week 2022

Bike Week 2022

Hey Race fans, grab a coffee. A long Bike Week report follows:

I got to the track a week early for this one! Kerry Smith got out for her first races of the year on her rebuilt 350 beauty, and a borrowed SV650. Yes, she lunched another motor! Anyway, I was happy to be crew chief for the USCRA round and Kerry had two stellar races on Sunday picking up two hard fought wins on the SV.

Next up was the Tower Hill Climb at Weirs beach. This is an invitational demonstration event where some seriously special machines make timed runs up the hill for a big crowd of spectators. Tom Crompton approached me and asked if I wanted to ride his 1940 Harley UH 83ci hand shifter. He didn't have to ask twice!

Tom was nice enough to bring the bike by the track so I could learn to ride it before the event. What a guy, and what a special bike. The foot clutch took some getting used to, but the bike works amazingly well for it's age.

The climb event itself was a riot. A big crowd gathers at the base of the hill. I was nervous just tuning the bike around at the start line. Ha! I did 4 runs, 2 of which I actually found second gear on the first try. lol. What a great experience. Thanks Tom!!!

Ok, on to my racing.. The gorgeous weather we had all week took a dump friday night and we were in for a COLD weekend. Temps hovering in the high 50s, rain threatening occasionally. Great... A fresh set of DP Brake pads, a new set of leathers from Antham, and some fresh Pirelli rubber and let's rumble!

Timed qualifying for the 99th Classic was underway when on the third lap I saw water on my visor. I did not let off and pulled a 1:14.4 and the red flag flew as I crossed the finish line. session over due to mist rain. That put me in 4th place on the front row for the big race.

GTU: I used this as a mock race to test my tire choice, but on the 5th lap my bike lost power coming out of the final turn. WHAT?! I pulled off track thinking maybe my weekend was over. We quickly figured out that my battery was dead. testing the system showed that my rectifier was also dead. We quickly asked around for a spare and my friend Dan Pletea let me strip one off of his R6. A new battery from Seacoast, a fresh rear tire from MTAG Pirelli, and we were ready for the Classic.

The 99th Loudon Classic: I lined up in spot 1D, which is probably the best one at Loudon. The one board came out, I pinned the throttle and got a great launch as the lights went out. I definitely had a holeshot coming, but Ian Beam's bike came rocketing by from the second row. He closed off the inside line and I came around the outside into second position.

I hounded Ian for the entire first lap looking for a way past and knowing that I was likely blocking the guys behind me at the same time. I finally got around Ian in T11, but I knew he would come right back by me on the straight (he's packing 20HP more than me).

Sure enough, I fired it out of T12 only to see Ian wheelie past me as we were still leaned over and pointed at the wall! I stayed in the throttle but he pulled about 7 bike lengths on me. As he rolled off for T1 I stayed wide open as long as I dared, lunging back up to pass him on the outside right at the apex. I put my head down to try to build as much of a gap as I could before the faster guys got past him as well.

First it was Shane Narbonne, then Scott Greenwood, then a returning Tyler Sweeney that came through one by one on laps 2 and 3. I tried to latch on to Tyler's wheel, but I just couldn't live with their pace. I did manage to build a 4 second gap on Rick Doucette and Ben Gloddy (riding an Aprilia 660). Now I had to hold on for...17 laps!!

A little past halfway, I got the signal from Kerry Smith that they were closing on me. I know how relentless Ricky is when he senses a gap closing. I put my head down and responded with my quickest laps of the race and it was enough to hold the gap.

As the laps ticked on, my lines got sloppy and I felt like I was doing 17s, but it wasn't that bad and I brought it home in 4th place. I was happy with that.

Sunday races also went well, After reviewing my data with Kris Hopkins and Peter Kates of PKData I clicked back into the 13s for a lap in MWF40 and rode on Scott's wheel for a bit, so that felt good. 2nd place.

MWSBI had a much harder time getting by Ian Beam. I pulled along side about 7 times before finally making a pass stick and eeking out a gap for another 2nd place.

I have a growing list of people and businesses to thank each round, so here we go: First I have to thank Antham Racing for a new set of leathers. These are the best fitting set I have had to date. Awesome stuff. DP Brakes provides what are now my favorite pads. great power and feel with amazing fade resistance. PKData provides technical support and coaching based on hard facts. I can't wait to work with them again. Woodcraft Technologies has been providing amazing race parts and bodywork with the best customer service in the business for a long time now. MTAG Pirelli keeps me glued to the track with incredible tires and superb service and support at the track. Tonys Track Days is a key to my program proving track time and coaching and just keeping the sport fun for me. Thanks to all these businesses

In my garage, Kerry Smith is my biggest supporter. Thanks babe. Kris Hopkins provides coaching and friendship that are just next level. Frenchie, Semir Fazlic, Charlie Blumberg and Jimmy Baby round out the team and provide endless help and laughs.

Also, Thanks a due to John Grush and the whole NEMRR Motorcycle Racing crew. From office, to ambulance crews, and corner workers. This is an awesome effort and organization.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: Bike Week 2022

Some pics:
    Bike Week 2022-93218916-220614-114550-bm8a0241-jpg
    Bike Week 2022-93218915-220614-111743-bm8a0105-jpg
    Bike Week 2022-93218919-220614-123319-bm8a0490-jpg
    Bike Week 2022-286721347_749524739529140_552280921136685150_n-jpg
    Bike Week 2022-287111974_704912147464819_5284249352417252479_n-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Awesome write up, Paul! I'm SO bummed I missed it. How did you guys do in the Tower Hill hill climb?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Awesome write up, Paul! I'm SO bummed I missed it. How did you guys do in the Tower Hill hill climb?
    Hahaa, I didn't even check my results. Kerry had the 3rd fastest time at 11.1 seconds. There were 2 bikes in the tens. A Kawi H2, and a 49 Vincent.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Awesome report.

great report - great racing Paul

I happen to watch the gtu. You had a great start. I wondered what happened. Glad it wasn't a crash. You looked good in the classic, too.

Not to talk about Ian, but God damn he got fast. I couldn't believe seeing him leading the race into the bowl. I thought it was the warm up lap. I think he is riding that bike better than Corey.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Ian is riding a 765 version of the bike. It makes 20 HP more than the 675. It's almost like racing against a liter bike. Not to take anything away from Ian, he's starting to ride it well, but he literally can just motor by us before T1 of the the line even without a great launch. He can pull 7 bike lengths on the straight. That doesn't make the laptimes any easier, but it sure makes getting position on us a lot easier. I'd have to give Corey the nod on riding, but Ian is coming, and the writing is on the wall for the R6.

Paul_E_D