Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

BMMCBR - LRRS NV #606 - Round 3 - 2015

BMMCBR - LRRS NV #606 - Round 3 - 2015

My first race report! Wooooo!

TL;DR: I decided to take a crack at racing. I did 4 races, including the rookie race. Kept it on two wheels and got a new personal best of 1.26.816.

Sunday 6/7

Prep day! Mo (makct04) met me at my house, we packed up my bike, and drove down to Kyle's (itgbudeev). Rob (Peapod) and Gary (Imbeek) also met us there. I did an oil change and flushed the coolant, while Kyle drilled my bolts, and Mo helped me get most of the safety wiring done. We left the axles and brakes unwired because we were unsure how long my tires would last, and Penguin doesn't require it. I can't thank you guys enough for this. I was very timid about the drilling and wiring and this set my mind at ease. Kyle, I still owe you those drill bits I left at home.

Tuesday 6/16

I spent the day "working" from home. In actuality I was buttoning up lose ends on the bike. I painted the tail fairing, and painted white plates on the upper and tail. And then made sure all the fairings fit together. I hit the road around 6:30 and traffic was light, so I arrived around 9 and Rob helped me unload my bike. He, Isaac and I were pitted in North garage 3 for the Penguin days.

Wednesday 6/17

Woke up around 6 and went to Dunkin for some coffee. Made it back in time for tech. Tech was kind of funny because of how unprepared they were. Either way they got me through pretty quick.

First session was follow the leader for the entire session. I was paired up with coach (and former racer/champion) Eric Block, and fellow student Joe Ciesnik. We were one of the fastest groups out there, blowing by most of the other groups before getting stuck behind a train. I had forgotten how demanding this track can be. Apparently it was Joe's first time at the track so that was quite humbling. He would humble me several times later in the week/end too. Haha.

The next few sessions were quite a blur. I remember going way faster than I ever have around here, but I was also getting fatigued quicker than ever. I decided to dial it back for the afternoon. But of course, my first session out after lunch, I latch onto an coach (no idea who. yellow 600RR) and do what felt like my fastest laps ever. I also remember someone binning it right in front of me in T4. That was an eye opener, and great practice at avoidance. I got by with 0 issues. I believe the rider was okay too. The bike, not so much.

Last session of the day was the mock start. If anything about the day got me hooked on racing, it was this. I was so nervous about starts up until this point, but when I got out there all that went away. I wasn't sure what RPM to rev to, so I went with a safe 5k. After talking to some people it sounds like I should be going higher than that, but I'll take it in baby steps of course.

I got a great start and ended up 4th into turn 4. After that it was just practice ad usual.

I ended the day with some food from Brookside courtesy of Mike Kurtz. Thanks buddy!

Thursday 6/18

Woke up a bit later because I didn't have to go though tech. Today was just a practice day, although there was still going to be instructuon.

I definitely felt like I was gaining more time and speed throughout the day. During one of my later sessions I was paired up with Eric Block again for a 1 on 1. That guy is fast! We were making pretty good time around slower riders and finally caught up to Gary and Steve Nogueira, who were also doing a 1 on 1. We stayed with them for a while. It was really fun passing people in places you wouldn't normally pass at a track day. Inside of 3, inside of 11a. Really cool feeling.

We were mixed in with the advanced group for the afternoon. More carrots! After my sessions were done I packed up my temporary pit and moved over to the victory lane pit area where Kyle and Isaac currently pit.

I had heard horror stories about registration and applying for a race license, but Steve handed all our applications in earlier in the day so they were all processed by the time we got there around 4-5PM. All I had to do was pay up and sign up for the races I wanted to do. I ended up with #606. I knew all the numbers I would have wanted were taken so I didn't even fill that part out. I'm happy with it!

Friday 6/19

Day one of racing. I wasn't as nervous as I expected to be, so that's a plus right away. I guess the basic class did its job well.

I had so much to do before the rookie race. I needed tires (thank you Mike W, Sav, and MTAG Pirelli), I needed to safety wire my brakes and axles, and then also go through tech. I got it all done in record time, but of course, I forgot my reg sheet when I went to tech, so I had to run all the way back to my pit near start/finish and then back to the north garages. I passed tech just in time to find out that I was in practice group 3 and that they were going out in 3 minutes. I somehow got in my gear and got out there with 6 minutes left in practice. Everything felt good. I was as ready as I could be for my rookie race. I made it back to the pits and threw my warmers on. Missy had just arrived too. It was great to see her and our dog Jamie. I felt much more at ease about everything with them there.

Race 1 - Rookie Race

The new lights are much better than the round one design. There are five red lights (that don't blink or strobe), each one turns on in succession and then they all go out. My grid was 1D, and I apparently had the lights down and the right RPM, because I was 2nd going into turn 1. But that was short lived. Right about the apex of turn 1, number 632 passed me like I was going backwards. I held third until the third lap when number 277 Joe Ciesnik passed me going into one when I downshifted a bit too soon and the rear got squirrelly. I then settled into 4th for the last lap and crossed the finish line there.

I found out afterwards that I should have checked my pressures. They were 40/40. Whoops. How the hell did I escape that blunder unscathed?

After checking my times I found out I ran a 1.26 on my second lap, and a 1.31 outlap. Two personal bests! I can't believe I went that fast! In my very first race, I completed both of my goals for the weekend. Finish the rookie race, and get a 1.30 or better lap time.

4th out of 7
    Outlap: 1:31.612
    Best lap: 1.26.816

Race 5 - Novice Formula 1

My first race with the existing novices. I was a bit nervous as it was looking to be a pretty big grid, and with bigger bikes. It was also paired with Formula 3 in the second wave. So about 40+ bikes in total. I had a decent start, but had a rough time getting around a slower rider in front of me. I need to work on that. I think I was mid pack going into T1. I gained two positions over the next few laps, but on lap 3 or 4 the race was red flagged. I believe due to another rider in my wave going down in 4 or 5, and subsequently being run over by #772 Mike Randi. I got a much better start the second time around, but I was starting to get tired. Before we could even finish another full lap, we had another red flag. Still not halfway through the race, so we get to start again. This time I got a great start and passed a ton of people. Eventually the second wave started to catch up. On the last lap #624 Gary Beekmann flew by me on the straight before 3, and #824 Steph Miskell got me on the brakes in 3. I chased both of them for the next 8 turns and finally caught Steph in 11, but I felt bad because even though I was ahead of her at the apex, she has a stronger drive out of 11 so I cut her off a bit on 11a. Sorry!

15th out of 24
    Outlap: 1.38.739
    Best lap: 1.29.296

Race 7 - Novice Formula 2

This race was kind of a wash. I had only a short amount of time to get my warmers on and rest. I had a good start, about mid pack again. Around turn 3 #871 Isaac Maycotte got me on the brakes in 3 and I had a great time chasing him for the next few laps until the race ended on a red flag. It was a blessing in disguise though because my legs were starting to give out and I was beginning to use my arms to hold on. Not good.

18th out of 28
    Outlap: 1.35.344
    Best lap: 1:30.348

Race 8 - Loudon Classic Endurance Race

I was on RSP Racing's crew for this one. The team was #820 Adam Butler, stand-in #609 Kyle Reese, #47 Bill Coolahan, and #508 Savas Kosmidis, and they rode in that order. The crew was BK on transponder/bike holding duty, Mike K on timing, and Mike W on sign duty, Steph and Mike R on gas, and myself as the fire extinguisher guy. Luckily I didn't have to put out any fires. The bike of choice was Adam's SV650, with Bill's SV650 as the parts bike. All four riders had amazingly consistent times, with Kyle and Sav staying out there for quite awhile. There was a small transponder mishap where a bunch of teams all of a sudden stopped recording laps, but I heard it was an issue with the system an not the specific transponders.

We ended up 2nd in the lightweight bracket, and I think 5th overall?

Afterwards Missy and I got takeout from Ruby Tuesday, and then we hung out with some fellow racers in front of Kyle's trailer.

Saturday 6/20

I was only eligible for one race today, but it was early, so I got up and got ready for practice. I practiced my starts a few times, and everything else felt pretty good. I was still a bit fatigued from yesterday though.

Race 2 - Novice Starter 2

My first 8 consecutive lap race! Boy was that tiring (seeing a trend here?). I got another great start and almost had Isaac into T1, but he eeked around me. I chased him for about 4 laps and then my legs started to give out baaaad. By not being able to hold on with my legs anymore, I could feel my arms putting huge pressure on the bars going into 1 and 6, so I dialed it back, watched Isaac and everyone else fade away in front of me and just finished the race. I was still able to stay within the 30's range, which is great, but I really need to work on my leg and ab fitness. This entire weekend has showed me how weak I really am in the physical dept.

16th out of 25
    Outlap: 1.37.390
    Best lap: 1.31.591

Saturday night was the big RSP Racing BBQ. Good food, great people, and a whole lot of donations! I had a blast. Mike W's Moscow Mules were amazing as usual, and Adam, Noel and Timmy cooked some great food. According to what I've read on here and Facebook, there was ~$5000 raised. Holy hell that's a lot of money. Thank you to everyone who donated to this great cause. I'm sure anyone who's crashed, had a loved one crash, or has just plain seen a crash can appreciate the generosity.

Sunday 6/21

The only race available to me on Sunday was race 9, and I wanted to head home around 1 or 2 so I opted not to sign up.

I reverted to pit bitch for the day, helping out Kyle, Isaac and various RSP members. It was also fun to watch the races, as I didn't really have time to over the past few days. Watching Kyle and Brian F battle it out in Race 5, as well as Bill and #215 down the front straight. Very exciting stuff.

This whole week and weekend was the most fun I have ever had in probably my entire life, and most of that is because of you guys. I want to thank Kyle and Mo for helping me get my bike all buttoned up. Kyle, Jen, and Isaac for sharing their pit area with me. Kyle and Virginia for giving me some shade and water during red flags. RSP Racing, for the food, friendship, and always welcoming me to their garage. Mike W, Sav, and MTAG for the super sticky takeoffs and mounting. Matt F for the numbers and the yellow vinyl (inevitable? maybe, but not soon). Rob Pease for helping me unload my bike. Mike Randi and Isaac for helping me load my bike back up (I really need a trailer or better ramps lol). Rob, Gary, and Joe C (#277) for being awesome fellow rookies. I'm glad to have shared my rookie weekend with you guys. Isaac, Gary and Steph for the awesome battles, and being awesome carrots out there on the grids. Penguin for teaching me how to race (Steve Nogueira and Eric Block in particular). Huge thanks to the track staff for putting on such a great event, and an equally huge thanks to the corner workers, I'm glad to have met some of you, but off the track. And last, but furthest from the least, Missy (and Jamie!). I don't know how I would have gotten through this whole thing without you. <3

I regretfully need to skip the July round. I'm hoping to be there for August, but I'm definitely going to race September and October.

Sorry for the novel. I'm still so excited that this all happened that I wanted to include every detail I could. I may have forgotten things, so I may update this as I remember stuff.

Photo courtesy of Chainwheelmoto

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by BMMCBR; 06-23-15 at 08:24 AM.
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300