Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Boxshop Round 1 Actual

Boxshop Round 1 Actual

No one cares about my new gear, or the fact that MX pants bought by size end up being too small when you stuff knee braces under them, so I'll skip that. The meat and potatoes was first weekend on the 150SX in sumo trim netted me a not last in SMX 250. Dunno my exact finish yet, have to wait for results to be posted, but I'll take it. First, the new bike is a riot as a sumo, I've not touched anything setup wise since I got it, suspension, carb, nothing other than sumo wheels and a floating 270mm rotor setup and I was a little worried that it'd fight me on track without Aaron to pester for guidance. Instead I rolled out for supermono practice and just felt at home right away. The bike is 'looser' than my Yamaha? It never feels planted, but at the same time I feel like I can do so much more with it at any given moment than the Yamaha? It's a hard sensation to describe, at no point is it telling me I'm doing wrong, but I don't get that "locked on rails" corner carve I'm used to. My pace wasn't quite up to snuff I suspect, I'm not working the gearbox nearly enough and the front brake requires more effort than the Behringer setup I was spoiled by but I started adapting pretty well.

Dirt practice was interesting as well, sadly my visions of rolling out and just smashing the entrance double never happened, but I am at least jumping it now, landing just short on the flat. The last little double before the first berm I'm mostly doing what Aaron was trying to coax me to do last year, just giving it a squirt as I roll up it to keep the front up so it touches down on the backside of the second part and just let the rear slam. I have a bad habit of pulling the clutch slightly too soon though there, and in a couple other spots so sometimes not so good. The whoops I'm not jumping, but I'm at least keeping the front up now and accelerating through. So, no massive changes but positive gains, I'll take it. Ultimately I only entered SMX 250, wanting to focus on it, my lack of conditioning/fitness ultimately dictated my pace past lap 3 but at the end of the day in the 6 lap heat I avoided being lapped, and in the main I wasn't last. I don't know how to launch the bike, but did manage to make up for it and actually got under Kacey at the entrance to the dirt forcing him to do a hail mary jump nearly overshooting the double to keep me from blocking him for the lap, that was fun. Otherwise my race was uneventful as I just tried to A) not pass out and B) try to get consistent with what jumping I was doing.

The new ride is sweet, looking forward to getting more comfortable on it. Next outing is on Wed when I take a MX school in NH, hopefully I'll have rehydrated by then.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Boxshop Round 1 Actual

nice write up...sounds like a high starting point on the learning curve

interesting that it feels loose...wondering how seat time will make that feeling go away

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

It's not a negative/bad feeling, just different from other bikes I've ridden? I'm almost thinking the Yamaha is setup to be TOO stable for short track actually.

I'll have to check my notes, but I think you were 5th?

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Sam’s notes:
    Boxshop Round 1 Actual-67906e26-3e77-4160-a15e-e9bc9ea1404a

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

No lie... it's pretty close to that. Lol

It's on a pink piece of paper and I had to count laps for seven heats and then the mains. Haha

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by AVI8_636 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, you all convinced me. Maybe I'll see some of you on the 3rd! I ordered a universal insert that I'll bring with me just in case. I did one last WOT test with my phone and it came in around 88.

I'm on a DRZ so top speed isn't my thing anyway. At NHMS I think I saw 87 as a top speed on my old DRZ, it's the corners I'm interested in
    Pretty sure you meant to post this in the other thread. Lol

We don't sound test at boxshop.

LRRS/CCS #66

Given some specific machines at Boxshop, we CLEARLY don't sound check...