Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EX#434 - Race Report - LRRS Round 4

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

EX#434 - Race Report - LRRS Round 4

Race Report - LRRS Expert #434 7/23/11

Pre-Race
    It was 98 degrees when I left my house and the weather reports predicted near 100 degree temps for both days, I can’t say that I was looking forward to the scorching heat however I was still very excited to make my debut as an Expert; I have come to rely on my starts and I was curious how they would stack up against the “big boys”. As an added bonus I got to keep the children over the weekend (I don’t usually during the summer) so I had my own little pit crew with us who were immediately put to work cleaning helmets and learning how to take tire warmers on and off.

Saturday AM Practices

I skipped the first practice while I was swapping tires and put a nice new rear on thanks to MTAG Pirelli. Second practice I went out and felt smooth, loose, and clicked off some low 20’s for times which is great because I can rarely get anywhere near race pace in practice. I also spent some time working on pushing my brake markers back. I recently installed EBC GPFA ceramic brake pads and holy cow, these things are amazing! I have had to push all my brake markers back significantly and it is helping to pick up some extra time.

Lightweight Superbike
    I set up for my first expert grid in 5A, the last row on the inside. I would have preferred a better starting spot however being the noob, I get what I get. It felt weird launching in the first wave (experts start in the first wave, amateurs in the second) but I got a very good start and entered the first turn in 5th place but was immediately passed by two riders as I rolled off the gas…just like an amateur. I mentally chastised myself and put my head down and got into the game. The rest of the race was a blur of passing and being re-passed and honestly I cannot recall much of it other than focusing on being smooth and being more aggressive in passing the AM riders that I came upon which has always been a weak spot in my riding.

My goal for the weekend was to simply not be in last place and I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that I was in the top half of the field and I had set a new personal best lap record in the process.

Finish: 7th out of 16
    Best Lap: 1:19.029 – New Personal Best!

Lightweight GrandPrix

My grid was 4C which was a much better starting point than Superbike. My excitement was high after I did so well and I was anxious to get another expert race under my belt. I got a fantastic start and went into T1 in 7th but immediately passed two riders on the outside of the first turn and was in 5th place by T1A. The race was halted due to a red flag on the second lap and after a brief wait in the pits we went out for a restart.

Riding with the experts truly is an amazing and humbling experience. I got a great start again and went into T1 parallel to #14 Bob Poetzsch. It really is something to be in a turn at max lean with someone only a few inches to your side. Bob was quicker to the flop however and ended up with the inside line into T1A so I had no choice but to let him go and I fell into 8th place. Sean Byrnes (#111) wasn’t wasting any time behind the “new guy” and showed me how it was done with a brilliant inside past in the chute to T3 and I was pushed back into 9th. I stuck with Sean and on the 2nd lap I managed a pass in T9 but made a mistake and went wide, Sean immediately took his place right back in T10.

On the 3rd lap I was passed in the same spot in T3 by #23 Jonathan Burbank (mental note: man up in T3) which forced me to refocus and was rewarded with a great drive out of T12 and I passed Jonathan under power on the front straight. I had great momentum going and so I simply didn’t back off and passed Sean on the brakes deep into T1 on the outside (thank you EBC!).

We started to mingle with the back of the amateur traffic at this point and it really occurred to me how much more racecraft plays into your performance here. I started to consciously pass late into turns where I knew those behind me wouldn’t have an opportunity to pass until the next turn, something I simply didnt think about when I was riding as an AM.

I kept looking back over my shoulder expecting to see people waiting to pass but either the traffic or the heat took its toll and I finished the last 3 laps without any pressure from the other EX racers. While my finish and times weren’t as good as LWSB, this was by far a more exciting race and I enjoyed it immensely!

Finish: 8th place out of 21
    Best Lap: 1:19.195

No making fun of my horrible body position. I still struggle with it and with so many other things demanding my attention, something had to give.
    ‪LWGP-072311.wmv‬‏ - YouTube

Sunday AM practices

Once again I skipped the first practice simply because I didn’t want to tire myself out as I have the 20 minute GTL endurance race today. Second practice I worked on a few more lines in trouble areas, retaining more speed in T3, and pushing my brake makers even further back than I had the day before.

GTL
    I got 4D, a great grid position for this race which is the 4th row on the outside, just where I like to be. I got a fantastic start and muscled my way through traffic to enter T1 in 5th place which I was pretty darned happy with. I manage to keep #95 Glenn Coolbeth in sight for 3-4 laps but he was just too quick for me and eventually I lost track of him and was left to my own race for a bit.

Around lap 7 or 8 I was treated to an ego check as I watched young amateur Jake Vader drag elbow in T1 before I got around him (@9:30 in my youtube video but you can’t see it because DDK was in the way!). That’s just not right. Anyway, I was pretty much doing my own thing until lap 12 when came upon my fellow RSP Teammate David Pang (AM#910) in T6. I had a difficult time getting around him in the back of the track and Bob Poetzsch took full advantage of it and got around of both of us with a brilliant pass in T11. I also passed Pang in T11 and stuck right on the tail of Bob, cursing myself for letting off. FYI I even though Bob was consistently running 1 second faster lap times I am still blaming Pang for losing 5th place, but I digress.

Traffic from the AM wave got heavy and I was having a difficult time keeping up with Bob through it. He seemed to slice through everything leaving me in the lurch and trying to keep up. I nearly lost it in T9 getting around a motard when my front tire ran the entire length of a tar snake and the front end got loose, costing me precious time. I got around him in T10 and was fortunate that Bob was caught behind two more ‘tards just ahead. I wasn’t expecting such a massive speed differential as we all came into the chicane and I nearly collided with the back of Bobs TZ. I had to brake check really hard which killed my drive onto the straight..and again Bob coasted away. He managed to get past both motards under power on the front straight while I could only manage 1 pass safely so I had to settle in behind the rider in T1 and watched as Bob furthered his lead. I don’t know if it was heat, exhaustion, or just crushed spirit at this point but I was having a really difficult time getting around this one motard. I was having a heck of a time judging his lines and his speed and I had to check up more than once. So we are clear this rider did nothing wrong and it was me lacking the skill to safely navigate around him. I could have stuffed him into a corner somewhere but Bob had such a substantial lead at that point and I was so tired I simply resigned myself to a 6th place finish.

I blew T9 so badly at one point I actually lost a position to one of the other Tards but took it right back. By the time I finally got around the first tard, Bob was nowhere in sight. Bob ran a great race and deserved the place and I look forward to many more scraps with him!

I was disappointed that I couldn’t get around well enough to stay with Bob as I struggle to find that balance between aggression and rider courtesy as I don’t want to stuff anyone but on the other hand I was extremely pleased that I was able to hold fast and consistent lap times without a carrot in front of me as I held 5th place alone for quite some time. In the end I managed to beat my best lap yet again and beat another hallmark and reached the 18’s!

Finish: 6th place out of 17
    Best Lap: 1:18.774 - New Personal Best!

Video: ‪GTL 072311‬‏ - YouTube

In Closing
    I couldn’t have asked for a better first weekend as an expert. I met some great people, had some fantastic races, placed far better than I have any right to expect, and managed to pick up some time to boot!

HUGE thanks to my friends and teammates at RSP Racing (and congrats to them as well, there were a TON of podiums for RSP this weekend!) who make this fun to do. Thanks to Gregg Spears Racing, EBC Brakes, SportbikeTrackGear.com, MTAG Pirelli, Dyno Solutions (get well soon John!), Tony’s Track Days, and all my other sponsors whose support allow this dream to become a reality. Finally my deepest thanks to my wife Erin who unconditionally supports me in this crazy endeavor and to my two boys Emmett and Aidan for helping out in the pits and cheering me on; it means the world to me.

Only a few shots from this weekend as of yet.

My pit crew - Emmett and Aidan

Maximus Poopacus

Gridding up for GTL, Pang sitting behind me in the front of the AM wave.

Not gonna lie, it was kinda cool to see my number up here in the single digits

This to me is more beautiful than a Picaso or Monet...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PainfullySlow; 07-25-11 at 06:13 PM.

Re: EX#434 - Race Report - LRRS Round 4

Great showing first time as an expert !

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

What is this? Your 3rd year racing?! Way to go!!!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Very good job working with your new Expert plates!! Great riding and look forward to some more races with you in the near future. Congrats on the PB!

I also managed to drop 1.5 seconds from the GTL race and got down to 1:16.781. Now to work on doing it consistently.

BTW, I really enjoyed that shot at 14:27 of the GTL race through Turn 11

The camera angle seemed a bit weird as you had it mounted off the left side of the bike and looking past the front tire. Maybe because the wide angle is pointing up & down?

Bob Poetzsch #14

wow! congrats on an awesome first weekend as an expert! hope i didnt hold you up any in traffic

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Great write-up! Looking forward to reading more of these

Nice work!!

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    wow! congrats on an awesome first weekend as an expert! hope i didnt hold you up any in traffic

I see what you did there!

Real solid work, man. Keep it up. If you were an am on a turd you'd get to play the traffic game as you come up on the ex proddy twins cats (in ulsb). I hope to hear your name come across the pa more.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Best Lap: 1:18.774 - New Personal Best!

F N AWESOME. I feel slow now.

Going to have to stop giving out my secretes and asking for some.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Thanks for the comments all!

@Doc - I started racing at round 3 of 2010 so this is my 2nd year, 10th race weekend.

@Wheelieman (Bob) - Jesus, 16's?? And here I thought I could use you as my carrot for a bit. Fat chance now! I recall hearing that you were in front of Rick at some point while I was loading my truck, is that right? And yeah, your pass in T11 ROCKED! Thanks for showing me where I can carry some more speed :-p. The carmera is mounted to my front fender stay, its the only place that I could find a stable place to put it. I am fabricating something that will come off of the front gas tank mounts for next round. I really enjoyed runnning with you and hopefully I will be able to in the future if you havent gotten too far ahead of me :-p

@Darkduc7 - No one is holding me up but myself, there were opportunities for me to pass safely but I simply didnt see them at the time. I guess I am missing an inside joke somewhere?

@Chip - Thanks mano! Traffic is something we all have to deal with. I just need to get better at navigating it.

@Gino - Thank you. That is all I can say. I owe a good chunk of my recent speed to discussions we have had and your instruction. I still have a fair way to go before I will ever catch you on the track, but I appreciate the compliment =). As for secrets, you are the instructor, not I but I will share with you this one piece of advice:

**The above catch phrase blatantly stolen from Keith (Catahoulabulldog). All rights reserved**

Last edited by PainfullySlow; 07-26-11 at 10:58 AM.

you're moving out there. 18s is sweet. those consistent lap times are nice. Novice to expert in just over a year, that's awesome.

and yes Bob did beat Rick. I was listening as well and looked out of the garage at 11/12 as they came by to keep seeing the 250 in front and hearing he's got the motor on Rick.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 07-26-11 at 11:02 AM.

Na, no inside joke, I just wanted to hear that I wasn't holding anyone up, I got tired and sloppy at the end of gtl.

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    Thanks for the comments all!

@Doc - I started racing at round 3 of 2010 so this is my 2nd year, 10th race weekend.

@Wheelieman (Bob) - Jesus, 16's?? And here I thought I could use you as my carrot for a bit. Fat chance now! I recall hearing that you were in front of Rick at some point while I was loading my truck, is that right? And yeah, your pass in T11 ROCKED! Thanks for showing me where I can carry some more speed :-p. The carmera is mounted to my front fender stay, its the only place that I could find a stable place to put it. I am fabricating something that will come off of the front gas tank mounts for next round. I really enjoyed runnning with you and hopefully I will be able to in the future if you havent gotten too far ahead of me :-p

@Darkduc7 - No one is holding me up but myself, there were opportunities for me to pass safely but I simply didnt see them at the time. I guess I am missing an inside joke somewhere?

@Chip - Thanks mano! Traffic is something we all have to deal with. I just need to get better at navigating it.

@Gino - Thank you. That is all I can say. I owe a good chunk of my recent speed to discussions we have had and your instruction. I still have a fair way to go before I will ever catch you on the track, but I appreciate the compliment =). As for secrets, you are the instructor, not I but I will share with you this one piece of advice:

**The above catch phrase blatantly stolen from Keith (Catahoulabulldog). All rights reserved**

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    Na, no inside joke, I just wanted to hear that I wasn't holding anyone up, I got tired and sloppy at the end of gtl.
    Ahh gotcha, yeah I think everyone was feeling it at the end. You were riding your ride and thats all you can do, I am sure you were fine on the track.

In the end it is my job to get around people safely and I just couldnt seem to do it. No fault but my own =)

Nice job man, I'm sooo jealous of everyone improving their p/b's on the SV's this year. I had a lot of goals set for the season after bumping to EX over the winter, but I got hurt pretty bad and don't think I'll make it back at all this year.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

hey Mike,
    You might have to change your screen name!!!!!!!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Might have to change your S/N soon. 18's on a SV is no joke. Nice work.

EDIT: Fucking Gino stole my line!

@b0xmonkey - sorry to hear, that sucks. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to meet you at the track.

@Gino - Until I am in first place, I am still slow :-p

@Alex - Thanks! Can I keep the numbers now?

Yessir hehe.

PS I ain't changing my twitter account thou!!! http://twitter.com/alex434

2nd year! Friggin awesome man! I too vote for an S/N change.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

As always Michael, a pleasure to watch you race! I'm glad I took Sunday off and got to see you run the GTL.

Keep up the good work and you'll be on Pete's heels in no time.

Your progress this season has been nothing short of staggering.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    As always Michael, a pleasure to watch you race! I'm glad I took Sunday off and got to see you run the GTL.

Keep up the good work and you'll be on Pete's heels in no time.

Your progress this season has been nothing short of staggering.
    I don't think Pete or his heels need to worry about me for some time; that dude is quick!

Nice job out there Mike! Pretty sweet opening EX weekend.

And a nice race report as always.

Looks like I have some serious catch up to do.

Thanks Matt and I am sure you will be running with me in no time at all. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get your scooter back on the track.

Great job! I enjoyed watching the GTL video. I was glad to see I wasn't much of an obstacle when you lapped me (twice!). It was fun watching Bob get by you (Go 2 strokes!!) and seeing how you both dealt with traffic.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast