Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

EX:978 Round 1 Race Report.

EX:978 Round 1 Race Report.

Preface: I'm late to the game building my new motor. Wednesday night, up til 3, sleep for 2 hours at my dads, up at 5 to drive back to my apartment and go to work. Thursday night, same thing but I start the bike that night. Friday I leave work at 1 and head home to button everything up and actually drive the bike and seat the rings. In the process I blow a head gasket and I have no spares. Luckily Adam had a spare for me up at the track so I shove towels and crap over my open cylinder, load up and head for the track around 8. Get to the track, grab the gasket from Adam, Pete makes me a delicious margarita, and I get to work. Finish around 2:30, set up my tent, can't figure out how to blow up the air mattress so I sleep on the ground pretty much spooning Carla for warmth.

Saturday morning I finally start my bike and all seems good except the rings are still not set and I'm on a fresh motor I've never ridden. Plan is to break it in during first practice. Well I was ignorant to the schedule and missed that. Second practice I resist pinning the throttle and running it wide open, I also pull off every lap to take a looksie. All seems fine so I finally put two laps together and get two laps in the 27s. Still not able to test any sort of brake markers because my speeds are off from not cracking the throttle open. Get back to the pits, my oil level is significantly raised. I talk to Adam, and we figure I have a bad seal and tranny fluid is mixing in...great.

I have one race Saturday, super singles. I almost don't do it, I felt like shit, I wasn't confident in my bike and last second I decide to do it with some coaching from my garage mate Adam Butler. As soon as I get on the grid I realize how much I love this shit and think I made the right decision. Wrong. I'm gridded dead last in 4a as it is my first expert race and manage to go into 1 in front of 1 or 2 people. There's a slow guy, a faster guy, and me in that order. Through 1a fine, guy in front of me lines up a pass on the slow guy and I'm on his tail planning on doing the same thing. Slow guy stands it up for some reason causing the guy in front of me to stand it up leaving me with a split second to decide to go wide and straight for the air fence or try to stop. I try to stop. I stand the bike up as much as I can, get on the breaks hard and the rear is high in the air. As I'm pulling a bad ass stoppie around turn 2, the guy I'm about to hit actually looks back and makes eye contact with me knowing something bad is about to happen. I either hit is tire or the front slides but as soon as my rear tire comes down I'm sideways and it causes me to come as close a high side as I'll ever get on a motard. Yup, flying through the air right now, this is not good. I land, slide for a bit, run off track and am okay. Bike won't restart so I'm out of the race.

Watch an epic battle between Shane and Eric for the dash then immediately head to a friends in Laconia and get some real sleep. After a quick nap I woke up around 9pm on my absolute deathbed. I'm sick from camping, well past exhaustion, and incredibly sore from my crash. Go back to be and wake up at 6:30 feeling a bitbetter. After an entire pot of coffee at the track I'm feeling much better but nothing is going to cure my aches from the crash or my cold I picked up camping. I finally had sleep though.

I make first practice and my bike is running awesome. Second practice I put motor issues to the side and just turn laps. Lots of 23s and a 22.9, 1.6 of my PB in practice on tires from last season, I am finally having fun. To top it off, my oil level is staying the same so fears of losing tranny fluid to the crankcase are going away.

One race today, motard, goal is to finish. I go easy on the start and just roll into t1 in last. Do two laps and then decide to start the fun. Try a pass on the outside of 6 and have a nice two wheel slide off line a bit forcing me to give it up and let him have 7. Get him on the inside of 3 on the next lap the. Take another on the outside of 1. I see Adam and the pack in the distance and bury my head. I'm reeling em in then a lap and a half later I push the front in 12 and down I go into the grass. Bikes still running, I pick it up, try my hardest to get my front brake and throttle back where they were but can't. Hop on the bike and start down the straight until my bike sputters and dies. Won't restart so I'm out of the race. When I finally get the bike back to the pits we realize my gas got flipped off. Ended up turning a miserable 27 out lap but I was in traffic, two 23s, and a 22.1. I load up and go home.

I'm super motivated to come back with new tires, a motor I am confident in, and put in some good finishes in May.

Cliff notes:
    Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday sucked.
    Sunday was awesome.
    Being at the track is awesome.
    Adam Clark, Adam Butler, ECK and RSP are awesome.
    Crashing sucks.
    My dog is awesome.
    I need new tires.
    Motards crash well.

For all the new guys I didn't meet or appeared to give a cold shoulder to on Saturday. I apologize, I was extremely frustrated, tired, sick, etc and just in one of this moods. I swear I'm extremely friendly and don't bite.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 04-29-13 at 08:27 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: EX:978 Round 1 Race Report.

Dude... just... Duuuuuude. I had no idea how much crap you were going through. That said, I never noticed you being anything but friendly, which given your weekend is pretty damn impressive.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Jay. good seeing you .. As Kurlon said I couldn't tell you were Sick or frustrated Saturday. Good luck in 2013.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

J is by far one of the most positive N friendly people's have ever met and he had an awesome dog btw. I would have cried if I went through everything he did this weekend! Good seeing ya dude it's only gonna get better through out the year

Jay, sorry to see that all of your effort didn't come to a more positive conclusion! From my vantage point in the turn two bleachers I'd swear you clipped his back wheel but it might have been just really really close. There was no way that cluster %$#@% was going to end well.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Jay, it was great to meet you and talk your ear off whilst you put your motor together. As others said, I found your positive attitude and enthusiasm inspiring. Sorry to hear of all the troubles, it will come together next time!

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Sucks you had one of those weekends man. Next one will be better with some fresh rubber and a good dose of confidence!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I know I said this to someone at the track...but last year was just fucking awesome. Every weekend was better and better and better with a new PB everytime. All the bad shit had to catch up some time. Like I said, I'm ready for next weekend. Gonna be prepared, have fresh rubber and do my normal 4 races. I'm optimistic to say the least.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

YOu now have the crashing out of your system. Just focus and get the rest done. As always, it was good seeing you up there again.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Haha! Sounds...eventful. I saw you saturday, but didn't get a chance to say hello. I did note you looked a little ragged though. And yes, crashing sucks.

Paul_E_D

Rough stuff Jay... Good seeing you briefly. You'll get it all together for next round and have a great showing, I'm predicting

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Haha! Sounds...eventful. I saw you saturday, but didn't get a chance to say hello. I did note you looked a little ragged though. And yes, crashing sucks.
    Yeah, I was in and out of consciousness in my chair at that point. I'm hoping to make it to the May Tony's day and could use another tow! I think I overheard you saying you were surfing this weekend? I think that's the one hobby I don't have.

Sounds like you got a whole season's worth of bad luck out of the way, so it should be smooth sailing for the rest of the season, right?

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

As with anytime anything "bad" happened to you last year, I really had no idea you were anything but fine this weekend. I don't think I even knew you went down! Twice! Awesome to see you again buddy, and glad your weekend had some good spots too! Round 2 will be better

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Always awesome to see you Jay. Sorry that you had so much trouble but it sounds like your head is in the right place to make an absolutely killer second round.

Pretty bummed I couldn't make it up this weekend. Wish I had. May can't come soon enough. Pumped you got out there

No worries brother, always willing to help where I can. Get some Dunlops on that thing and stop messing around. Such a great predictable long lasting tire. I had alot of fun sliding it around this weekend with the cold pavement on Friday. Kepp pluging away at it we all have those weekends

Motards are great crashers....TY for the report.

I second what's been said above, I don't recall ever seeing you display a bad mood outwardly.

Also, I've never been so happy to hear that someone had crashed as I was to find out that you had crashed as opposed to having motor trouble. (since you were obviously fine)

Once again Jay you kept things fun.. You will have stuff sorted for May and be kicking some ass.

Carla

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    I second what's been said above, I don't recall ever seeing you display a bad mood outwardly.

Also, I've never been so happy to hear that someone had crashed as I was to find out that you had crashed as opposed to having motor trouble. (since you were obviously fine)
    This exactly. I thought your motor was toast the way you were coming down the front straight. I was SO relieved to find out you had just crashed instead haha. That sounds so wrong.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I can't believe you even got the bike done in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Dude... just... Duuuuuude. I had no idea how much crap you were going through. That said, I never noticed you being anything but friendly, which given your weekend is pretty damn impressive.
    Sounds like Jay to me! I've seen this dude with his bike on stands and in pieces 10 minutes before a race, calm as a hindu cow. Nerves of steel.

Nice pace, especially considering all you went through. I have a feeling you're not going to plateau for a while.

Looking forward to next round...

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

Quote Originally Posted by loudog View Post
    calm as a hindu cow.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle