Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Fish Small Pond Endurance Race Report

Big Fish Small Pond Endurance Race Report

We got a group together consisting of Bill Morey, Adam Clark, Heath Smith, and myself to race the USCRA Big Fish Small Pond 3 Hour Endurance Race using Bill's hawk. We also had Eric Chase and Brian Bulis as crew chiefs and Joel Allen and his wife for moral support.

Saturday morning we woke up to frost on the vehicles. Got the bike all ready to go which involved changing tires because the bike had slicks on it which are not allowed in vintage racing (as they are not of the period). Bill managed to get a Michelin power race front and a pilot power rear together in time for the race. We knew this was going to prove to be interesting as the rear was a street compound and the front was a race compound. The other concern that we had was that this bike was total loss, so Bill had bought a second battery and had built a quick release for the battery which consisted of a hinge with a lock that would secure the battery in place as well as a connector on the battery that allowed for us to swap out batteries with one person in under 20 seconds. During practice Adam and I each took turns running the steed. The bike was not very confidence inspiring and wallowed mid corner.

For the race we set up an Ez-up on pit road along with our "vintage" fire extinguisher, chairs, and the rest of our program. Meghan kept score for us in the old timing and scoring tower. We had decided that bill should be the one to start out riding the bike as he was the most familiar with the bike and the fastest, so he could put us into the lead early. We were gridded 2C which was dead last and we knew we would have some stiff competition. The flag dropped and Bill took the holeshot going into T1. 15 mins into the race and Bill was dominating. We changed riders to Heath Smith at 20 mins. Heath was doing great and was laying down some awesome lap times that were putting us even further into the lead, but technical difficulties arose and the bike vapor locked at the end of the front straight. Heath pushed the bike back up pit road and we got it running again and I got on. This time the bike was much more confidence inspiring and the wallowing was gone. We had lost some precious time with the last incident so I was trying to push to get us back into the lead. I laid down some good times and almost managed to get us a decent lead until the rear came around on me in T12 and I laid it down. I ran over to the bike and got it running again and proceeded to ride it around the track so I could pit in. The right clipon had moved and the bodywork was hanging so it ground on the front tire every right corner I took. (Thank god it was Loudon). By turn 3 I had to stick my right foot under the bellypan to hold it up. I managed to get around into pit road in a decent amount of time and we got working on the bike. A couple zip ties, some gas, and a moved clipon later Adam Clark was out rocking it. He ran good times also and helped catch us up and bring us back into the lead again. Bill Morey took off again after Adam and totally rocked it. Everything was going well until Heath got up again. Fuel problems being his specialty he ran out of gas in T8 area and coasted down the hill to T10. We pushed the bike into the infield through the gates and got it back to pit road, fueled her up, and put a fresh battery in as well to get us through the rest of the race. I jumped on once again and tried to gain the mindset of a trackday so as to keep it on 2 wheels. I was getting tired by this point and was waiting for them to signal me into pit, as we were going to have Bill finish off the race as he was the strongest and it was his bike so we deemed it appropriate. Minutes later the white flag flew and there was nobody in sight. I conserved myself and the bike and took my time and took the checkered. Rob and Keira gave me the signal that we got second place overall which wasn't too shabby for all of the problems that we had.

During awards we actually discovered that even though we got 2nd overall we managed to bring home 1st in our class.

Also deserving of mention was the wedding in victory lane after the awards. Let's just say that this was quite possibly the coolest and most eclectic wedding that I have ever been to and we were all dressed for the occasion.

I just want to throw out a big THANK YOU to the USCRA guys for taking us in and accepting us with open arms. You really have a great group of people and we had a BLAST! We are already thinking about next year and what we will run. We are already discussing having at least 2 teams if not 3 and would love if you would join us! Also thank you to Bill for the bike, Eric and Brian for working hard on the program and the bike in the pits, and again to Meghan for scoring! The corner workers and all volunteers there were also exemplary and any incidents that were had were cleaned up and rectified quickly and safely.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Re: Big Fish Small Pond Endurance Race Report

I'm floored they let you back on track after the first crash. This year the USCRA adopted a crazy rule that if the handlbars/clipons touch the ground in a crash the bike is done for the day. Sounds like they are backing off that silliness.

Way to represent guys! Congrats on the finish!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Totally radical. Maybe next season the team will be all real LDR riders!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Good times. Kurlon, if they kept to that rule, I think they would have had to cancel the last sprint race of the day -- there were a LOT of people hitting the ground yesterday for the number of bikes there. They did say we had to come in and check the bike over/make repairs (under the supervision of a somewhat scary-looking old guy) after the crash.

Lots of fun was had, and lots of things were learned. Hopefully we'll be back next year to play again (and hopefully the USCRA lets us back.....). I'd like to see a bigger turnout from the LRRS crew. I know that I personally will be making every effort to get myself re-licensed so I can be a rider next year, not just a crew member, but either way I'll be back for next year's BF/LP endurance race.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

that sounds pretty awesome besdies the problems which im sure u guys laughed a lot about lol.
    3 hours must be very tiring

It was actually shortened to two and a half hours, due to the regular sprint races running late -- there were a lot of lengthy delays for cleanup/bus rides.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Totally radical. Maybe next season the team will be all real LDR riders!
    Most likely not. They will be divided between many teams.

We need to get more bikes and people involved in this!

i was in the race too on the fzr400. it was also my first endurance race. what a great time it was. those vintage guys are alot of fun. i was invited to ride by my brother and his team . we ended up first in our class as well as first overall (only because of your misfortunes). cant wait to do it again

Quote Originally Posted by mmarsden View Post
    i was in the race too on the fzr400. it was also my first endurance race. what a great time it was. those vintage guys are alot of fun. i was invited to ride by my brother and his team . we ended up first in our class as well as first overall (only because of your misfortunes). cant wait to do it again
    That little fzr sounded awesome! You guys got us by a little under a lap. If there was a good way to finish a race that was it. What a close finish.

i never had such a hard time riding a motorcycle. turn one the front end hopped thru the whole turn and the rear tire was hopping out of everyturn.. m brother said he never even changed the oil on the bike after he bought it and he was pretty sure the rear shock was junk.. still one comfortable ride. i just wish the race went longer so i could have gotten one more stint. then again we probably would of lost

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I'd like to be involved in something like this next year, either as a rider or support crew.

I have had the pleasure of being involved in a few endurance race events in the past and they have all been memorable experiences in a good way.

Congratulations to all of you! Glad you had a great time and finished 1st in class and 2nd overall.

Joel

so what is this? people just get whatever bike they have (/ dont really care about) and race for 3 hours?

csmutty when u say good times what should i be expecting?

Thanks Joel!
    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    so what is this? people just get whatever bike they have (/ dont really care about) and race for 3 hours?

csmutty when u say good times what should i be expecting?
    And this specific endurance race is run by the USCRA which is the United States Classic Racing Association which is a vintage racing org. There are specific rules as to which bikes are allowed and if they are allowed what class they are placed in. Generally the bike has to be older than a 1989 I believe or has to have no updates to that model since 1989 (the hawk we raced was a 1990.)

And as for good times if you can run consistent 1:2x you will win the race. Most bikes do from 1:32-1:38. And just as a warning to any that may be considering this. USCRA is a tight knit group and they are there to have a good time. It is much more laid back than LRRS and is great for people just getting into racing or for those looking to have an awesome time. Everyone passes courteously for the most part and the common goal is that everyone can go back to work on Monday.

http://race-uscra.com/

Last edited by csmutty; 09-18-11 at 03:11 PM.

thank you this is pretty much what i wanted to hear..
    I was looking for something more laid back in lower speeds.. more as an entry level racing / fun thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by mmarsden View Post
    They let your FZR in? P4F3 says four cylinder machines are restricted to steel frames? Someone is slipping over in tech!

Oh, and RE no slicks, it's not because they weren't period, it's because the USCRA wants to keep corner speeds down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    They let your FZR in? P4F3 says four cylinder machines are restricted to steel frames? Someone is slipping over in tech!

Oh, and RE no slicks, it's not because they weren't period, it's because the USCRA wants to keep corner speeds down.
    DOT's do nothing to keep corner speeds down...the rubber is the same on the edge as slicks.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    DOT's do nothing to keep corner speeds down...the rubber is the same on the edge as slicks.
    You know that, I know that... 'splain it to the USCRA.

You know that, I know that... 'splain it to the USCRA.
    I'd rather not...they'd outlaw race compound rubber.

the USCRA wants to keep corner speeds down.
    Is that why they oil the track periodically throughout the day? Belly pans or not, there were a LOT of delays during the racing (sprint races, not the endurance, we were the only ones to have any issues in that one.....).

That said, the USCRA racers seemed to be a really cool crew, and there were some BEAUTIFUL bikes there. And some of those guys are really moving when you consider the tires/wheels/suspension packages they are running. I have a new respect for the vintage racers after seeing them in action.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

wait... trouble, why didn't we run your hawk!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    wait... trouble, why didn't we run your hawk!?!?
    this sounds like an awesome idea. John wanna do the endurance next year and give this bunch of retards a run for their money?

You guys did an awesome job, despite all your setbacks! I haven't had as much fun watching a vintage race as I had that day - Rob and I were int he 3/10 split, just trying to keep up with all the pitting, rider changes, and all that, trying to keep track of who was in the lead (LDR until the last fuel issue in 10), who was in 2nd, and how many laps up.

Tons of fun, we had a blast in the pits with you all (even if it did make today a little rough for everyone, ha!), and the vintage guys/gals are a great bunch of people with a good sense of humor and open arms.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Definately a blast. Very laid back and the wedding was a trip. Great bunch of guys and I hope we represented LRRS respectfully.

Great write up Smutty.

CCS #68
    2016 Husky FS450
    Huge thanks for all the support from MotoSport

Thumbs up Re: Big Fish Small Pond Endurance Race Report

Thank you guys for joining us! It was a fun day and it was nice to have the support of the LRRS folks. We are a tight knit group, but we also welcome new riders. The endurance race was a good time. My team did it on a stock CB350 and we did it with four riders and had four shifts. You were allowed to be out for 45 minutes so the first guy did that and then we split it from there. I saw Christian lay it down and come in with the bodywork hanging. Nice getting that thing back around. You also made it interesting coming through turn 12

As for the handlebars hitting the ground, all you have to do it get re-teched. As far as I know, it was never the rule that you were done for the day. Also the whole slicks thing has been an issue. Thank you for getting the right tires so you could come and ride with us. Also be nice about that scary looking old guy....might have been my dad

Seriously though...minus the freezing (literally) temperature on Saturday morning, the weekend turned out well. We had a tight schedule in the morning condensing an entire race day between 10:30 and 2. I think overall everyone did a good job to get as much time as possible. We hope to see you guys return next year and bring some friends!

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast