Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

LDR #68 - LRRS 2015 - Round 1

LDR #68 - LRRS 2015 - Round 1

Definitely an eventful first round to start off 2015. The weather was the big story with temps in the 40's and a brisk wind, moderation and focus would be keys to successful completion of the weekend events. The first weekend is always about shaking the cobwebs, determining what maintenance was neglected over the winter and reuniting with the extended family at NHMS.

Thursday night arrival is all about setting up the homestead for the weekend and seeing the LDR boys. This led to the first challenge, as several broken water connections were found in the camper with a blown out water heater being the worst of them. Guess the water lines weren't drained last fall, huh, thought I did that. Oh well, always something.

Friday practice
    I was off to a great start when after pit out on the very first lap and first turn I ended up sliding into turn 3 on my side. Nice easy low side at tip in but definitely not the start I was hoping for after an abysmal 2014. After a quick damage check and nothing leaking or missing, back on track for some REALLY slow laps now that confidence is completely gone. The culprit was narrowed down to a 45 degree front tire after a faulty electrical connection was found on the front tire warmer circuit. I always check tires for heat before heading out when in race mode, so I just shake off that first cobweb. A small pinhole in the radiator sidelines the Hawk for the rest of the day and on to the KTM to complete the day. Bike felt great with the new Computrack Boston triples, definitely more stable but was only able to get 3 laps a session before electrical issues start and heavy popping on acceleration. Narrowed down this issue throughout the day but no resolution so practice was not spent practicing.

Saturday
    Decided to make a change with the Hawk and run the slicks from Pirelli. After running Dunlops for several years successfully, I felt I needed to make a change. I always have had great support from Mike Kurtz at MTAG so this low risk decision. I only went out for the second practice but felt pretty comfortable with the new rubber and started to get closer to race form. The Hawk was pulling strong and felt some confidence going into the race day.

P89 Light
    Gridded out with my team mate and new single digit holder #7 John Linn and the EX500 crew of #41 BJ, #73 Smoking Joe, and #525 Coleman. It was great to see those guys out on the grid, I hope it continues. After a decent start, then a wheelie into second (yes, Hawks can wheelie) I went into turn 1 behind John and BJ close behind. BJ worked around me in the first lap and I made several attempts to find a way back around for the first few laps to no avail. I am looking forward to this challenge this year but today was not to be. Struggled through some mistakes while BJ gapped me but found my way around for a third place finish.

Ultralight Superbike
    10 bikes on the grid, and lots of familiar faces. The most incredible was seeing #38 Adam Clark out there with a separated shoulder. What a beast, in the cold no less. I had a typical mediocre start and ended up 6th or 7th into turn 1. I was able to work around #67 Jay Cav and #201 Jake Vader the first lap and was 4th after the first lap. I was able to see the first three places battling out ahead and made some progress toward entering the fray but never quite made it. Finished 4th and felt pretty good with the laps. Not up to pace yet but more comfortable.

Sunday

I spent most of the day continuing to debug the issue with the KTM. Thanks to Chris Dove of Central Mass Powersports for letting me borrow some parts off his 525, but was unable to get the beast running well. Persistence will be the key to resolving this and I am definitely that. If it wasn't so much fun to ride I might walk away but it is a blast when its right.

A big thanks to my sponsors Woodcraft CFM, MotoSport and Computrack Boston. Great to have the best in the business helping me out. Thanks to my wife, the LDR family, Kurtz and Tony of MTAG for the sticky Pirellis, ECK , RSP, and all the corner workers and staff at NHMS for braving the cold temps to support such a great event.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in May!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS #68
    2016 Husky FS450
    Huge thanks for all the support from MotoSport

Re: LDR #68 - LRRS 2015 - Round 1

Wild Bill!!! Congrats on an awesome weekend man.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
    Decided to make a change with the Hawk and run the slicks from Pirelli. After running Dunlops for several years successfully, I felt I needed to make a change. I always have had great support from Mike Kurtz at MTAG so this low risk decision. I only went out for the second practice but felt pretty comfortable with the new rubber and started to get closer to race form. The Hawk was pulling strong and felt some confidence going into the race day.

I'm concerned that Mirella will be answering to you instead of me now...i think she likes the "Wild" Bill aspect 😯

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Haha nice dude! Didn't realize you got the new GMD triples! Glad to hear you liked them! Sucked to hear about the off and the tard not running right but hopefully you'll be ready to kick it in round 2

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Hell ya, things are awesome! Much better feel, cant well to get the rest sorted. Great to see ya out there Smutty.

CCS #68
    2016 Husky FS450
    Huge thanks for all the support from MotoSport