Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LRRS Amateur 516 Round 1 Race Report

LRRS #516

LRRS Amateur 516 Round 1 Race Report

Chris Reulbach
    LRRS Amateur #516 Race Report—Round 1
    Subject: Palm Bomb Crashes the Amateur Middleweight Party…Literally.

My race weekend actually started Wednesday afternoon with a bunch of running around for last minute unexpected items. Finally got all packed up Wednesday night and did a late dinner with the woman before heading to bed.

Thursday was a looong day in the truck. Started at 8am; ended just before 5pm. During that time I drove 350 miles, stopped at UPS, Stopped at GMD and took one hell of a dump at Subway in Bellingham Mass. I was embarrassed from the stench so I promptly wiped my ass, then left. Get to the track just before 5, setup, take care of the last minute items and finally head to bed.

FRIDAY PRACTICE:
    I decided since I have been off a bike for almost a year and would be racing an entirely new to me machine that Friday practice was absolutely necessary to give the Triumph a good shakedown. I also needed to blow the cob webs out and get acquainted with the new whip. I decided the morning sessions were too cold and headed out for the first time around 12. Bike felt great except for the rear wheel chattering and vibrating. After another session like this, it was decided the rear tire, though new, was bad. I switched to my new race shoes courtesy of MTAG and went out for a third session…the bike performed flawlessly and I was wicked happy. I decided to go out for 3 more laps in the next session, but a crash closed the track due to no available ambulances so I parked it for the day.

Saturday Practice:
    Due to the retched cold, I decided to forgo 1st practice. I did however mount up for 2nd practice around 10am. I went out and put down a handful of laps. Bike felt great, I felt great, and I was pumped for my first race. I felt loose and smooth, ready to roll in my first AM race at 12pm.

Saturday Race 1, MW Superbike:
    I’m gridded on the outside of the second row. I like being on the outside because my starts are nothing to write home about, but I’m very good at out-braking people into 1 and boxing guys out of 1A (hey, I’m a big guy and I can take up a lot of valuable real estate).

We line up, flag drops and we’re off. The train starts to bend into 1 and I go deep as planned. At the tip into 1 I’m in 5th/6th. I see a hole right to the leader’s (#535 Dave Kagan) tail. I say to myself: oh yeah, I’m in there like swimwear. I dump the trumpet on its ear and shoot right through the hole. I flip it over into 1A I’m passing the second place guy Tim Schultz and will be perfectly setup behind Dave exiting T2. Then the fireworks go off. Tim unfortunately washed the front end in 1A like so many others did this weekend. I couldn’t do anything but punch the throttle and attempt to slip the clutch. I was moving much faster than him through 1A so braking would have been futile. I ran him over and the last thing I remember before the lights went out from my head hitting the tarmac was: holy shit he’s dead.

I came too what seemed like instantaneously, but now that I think about it the paramedics were there so maybe somebody else can tell me how long I was down for? Regardless, I tried getting up but was discombobulated and could not get my balance to save my life. The medics were trying to help me but I was busy yelling at them to help the other guy cause I ran him over. They get him in the ambulance and I then got into the other one. I hear over the radio that he’s conscious and responsive—breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I spoke to Tim in the medical center. He was apologizing, which I told them there was absolutely no reason to apologize I was just happy he wasn’t dead. We had a couple of quick laughs and exchanged introductions; I offered to drive him to concord but he declined. I went to check on him later that day but found out he’d gone to the hospital. See other thread for updates—he’s got broken ribs; hopefully that’s the worst of it. Still trying to obtain a contact number for him so I can give a call and check up on him.

So, I started the 2011 season off with a BANG!

The bike took very little damage. Huge thanks to Tony and Mike from TTD and MTAG for putting it back together (plus others, sorry, was running around getting equipment together for the next race). Tony is a good guy…I race because I used to frequent his track days and wanted to take it to the next level. Now that I race, I buy my tires from him and he’s still there to help me out when needed with coaching, advice, and mechanical help. Talk about service after the sale…

I will list the rest of the thank you notes at the bottom as there are many—all which deserve recognition apart from this race report.

Saturday Race 2, MW Grand Prix:
    I go into this race fresh off the crash. I feel fine; I’m not scared or nervous. My heart rate and blood pressure suggest this to be true. I’m not breathing heavy or anything—it’s all good. The flag drops and I get my obligatory abysmal start. To the outside I go; same story: nice big open hole to a top three position by T2. I choke and don’t pull the trigger.

I fall into line about 7th or 8th place. Over the course of the first lap I had opportunity to pass in turns 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12a. I also had a chance to pass in T1 on lap number 2, but just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I set pace and pass 3 people casually over the course of the race to finish 5th. Lap times for this race were no surprise. With the exception of the out lap I strung together 23’s the whole race.

Over 3 seconds off pace. I’m pissed at myself. My balls were rolling around the track somewhere between 1A and 2…where ever they were, they were clearly not securely fastened to their stock location between my legs.

I’m come into the garage pissed…throw a glove or something and ignore the fact that my hand is killing me. I realized I have lost my edge and I’m disappointed in my inability to put mind over matter.
    Overnight Dave Kagan helps me take the top of the bike apart to secure some loose items with zip ties. We button her back up and I mount my cameras I brought…now kicking myself I opted to leave the go-pro’s in the garage for Race 1. Would have been epic to have that on camera. Working with the timing and scoring folks to see if I can get the playback from the race. I also sent a note to John Owens as he had photographers in T2, so I’m hoping they caught the crash on camera.

Sunday morning we wake up a bit late. It had rained over night and I think Dave and I subconsciously knew we would not be doing practice. Get to the track around 9am and my hand hurts pretty bad but is loosening up. The rest of my body is now following suit as I’m pretty sore all over. Was to be expected. I loosen up and get ready for Race 7, my third and final race of my Amateur debut.

Sunday Race 7, MW Supersport:
    We grid up and the flag drops. I get a good launch but as the front wheel comes up I can’t hold the bar with my left hand so I’m forced to put it down before something bad happens. I get to turn 1 on the outside and there’s a bit of a hole, but guess what? Still can’t do it. Now it’s completely mental. I need to get through this weekend, heal up and come back strong for round 2. For the rest of this race I try to stay consistent and hit my marks since I can’t bring myself to do anything resembling racing.

I did make a good pass on my buddy #113 Shawn Pigott going into the bowl, but this was easy as I had the drive coming up the hill and the line to put me right inside the bowl. With the exception of the out lap, I not surprisingly was only stringing together 22’s this race (over 2 seconds off pace). I take 6th, lick my wounds, congratulate Dave on another win and pack my stuff up to head home shortly after watching Bill in race 9.

This weekend was a tough start for 2011. Not just for me, but for a lot of people. Most people from what I heard and saw were a minimum 3 seconds off their normal pace. There were a lot of crashes, mostly due to the cold temps and that bastard white line in 1A for the Legend Cars. Good thing they addressed it before racing started Sunday.

I learned a lot this weekend. Paramount to which is, despite my thinking so, anything more than a stupid low-side really has the ability to fuck with your head even if you don’t think it will. I know the incident wasn’t my fault and I know I didn’t do anything wrong. I also know that shit happens and you gotta roll with the punches. Overall when I look back, I’m glad I mounted back up and did my races. I gotta learn to walk that stuff off better because it is statistically probable it will happen again (more than once).

Aside from the racing, I had a blast with everybody. There were many positives this weekend biggest of which was just being back at the track and hanging out with friends.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS #516

Re: LRRS Amateur 516 Round 1 Race Report

The thank you list stretches around the building. In no particular order:

Michael Wyent (#434)—Mike saved my ass this weekend starting Wednesday the week before when he let me cannibalize his stock xterra radio, to helping me in the pit with mechanical stuff, to loaning me a brand new shark helmet to get back on the race track after I destroyed mine in the accident. I owe you big time, bro.

Mike Kurtz (#816)—I have to thank mike for a lot of reasons. For supplying my tires and mounting the correct sizes (couldn’t not take that poke), giving me a roof Thursday night, helping put my bike back together, and for those that don’t know him that well, his reasonableness in analyzing situations and helping make things pretty clear. Talking that night definitely put a few things in perspective. Thanks dude.

Tony—Huge thanks to Tony for coming over right after the incident and starting the repairs. Would never have expected that and I’m truly grateful. I owe you a grinder wheel which I’ll bring to May 1st in Jersey :p For those who haven’t been to a track day, get your ass in gear and signup. You won’t be sorry; Tony and his folks are there to make sure you have a great time and teach you to become a more accomplished rider. End of story.

Pete Gaborio (#82) for looking pretty as usual.

Dave Kagan (#535) for being friends for a long time and knowing how to talk to me when the shit goes sideways. Thanks for the help with the bike repairs Saturday night. I had a great time this weekend and I’m glad I’m sharing grids with you now…even if it only means I get to see your ass as you wheelie away with the holeshot every time.

Peter Kates for working is black magic on the triumph. Bike felt great (after thought peter: front end could be a tad stiffer). Even after the crash the bike was still perfect (mechanically).

Erin for cooking food…yum

Lauren for sleeping in her underwear…I mean… :hide:

Poopacus Maximus for cuddling me the night after the crash and giving me riding lessons in the garage the next morning.

Kevin and Jay for coming up and helping out even though they weren’t racing. PS…congrats again big sexy!

The RSP racing team…we might not be teammates but we’ve all be friends for a long time and I consider you guys my brothers on and off the track.

Everybody who checked in on my after the fact repeatedly to make sure I was ok physically and mentally.

OK, what am I forgetting? I should probably get back to work now :rofl:

after running someone over and crashing, knocking yourself out plus the temps and all the other oddities this weekend I'd say 22-23s is a good weekend.

Shit 22's are a great first weekend. Not many are on pace the 1st weekend.

Congrats brother!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

LRRS #516

Thanks guys. I'm disappointed mostly in myself, but happy I pushed through the weekend despite the opposing forces.

You crashed in race 1 and was back out in race 2?! Good recovery!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    You crashed in race 1 and was back out in race 2?! Good recovery!
    No he was back out in 10 for the GP

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

LRRS #516

Yep

Ouch.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Congrats on getting back out there... that is always the first step and the speed will come back.

Glad I could help you get back out there. I mentioned it at the track but you were pretty frazzled so I'll say it again here.

When you buy another spare brake lever perch, make certain it fits

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by Io-bot View Post
    No he was back out in 10 for the GP
    Oops, my bad, that makes more sense!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

LRRS #516

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Congrats on getting back out there... that is always the first step and the speed will come back.

Glad I could help you get back out there. I mentioned it at the track but you were pretty frazzled so I'll say it again here.

When you buy another spare brake lever perch, make certain it fits
    those were the levers off my cbr! explains why you have to send the levers to pazzo to be re-perched

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Chris, you suck.

Just playing buddy. Nice to meet you. You rode well and looked good out there (and in my camper, giggity!) Sucks you ended up having to run over someone, that's my biggest fear. I'm thrilled he was OK.

Pete gets thanked for being pretty (granted he's sexier than me) and I get nothing? :

Again, just playing dude. Was a pleasure and I wish you the best all season. Someone needs to kick dave the fuck outta AM because he's faster than a stinkbug.

If this post is off, I blame the painkillers. If it's slow, I blame the finger I can't use. None of it is my fault. NOT MY FAULT!!!!

LRRS #516

Jesus I knew i was forgetting somethign!

Dan, very nice to meet you and thank you a million times for your generosity and help this weekend. you are good people

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

I'm only one person. That said, thanks, and I was just breaking your balls. It was nothing dude, you'll see a lot more of me this year and you'll realize that shit like that is just racers helping racers. It was no joke my pleasure to help out.

Assuming I can reassemble my bike by next round I'll see you then. I think I can. Eh, even if I can't I'd probably come hang out and support my friends. After this weekend you're on that list.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Looking good out there, Chris. Glad you got back to riding after your off. How are you feeling?

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

LRRS #516

pretty sore...got the damage report from the doc..two broken bones in hand and one fracture.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Palm Bomb View Post
    pretty sore...got the damage report from the doc..two broken bones in hand and one fracture.
    going to be able to make round 2?

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

LRRS #516

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    going to be able to make round 2?
    I'll be there hell or high water.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

I'll be there hell or high water.
    and that is the inspiration that I love from you. Congrats Chris. I know it was a shaky weekend but the way you managed to get back out there after your crash is nothing short of inspiring.

All things considered both you and the bike came through amazingly well and I am looking forward to watching you run with great anticipation.

LRRS #516

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    and that is the inspiration that I love from you. Congrats Chris. I know it was a shaky weekend but the way you managed to get back out there after your crash is nothing short of inspiring.

All things considered both you and the bike came through amazingly well and I am looking forward to watching you run with great anticipation.
    thanks, dude. I'll do my best to post up results in round 2 closer to what I know i'm capable of

Hey you know NYC Ken too?

LRRS #516
    As in ken russo? Yeah...its the guy I bight the bike from lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Hey you know NYC Ken too?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk