Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NV #117 Round 3 Trouble

NV #117 Round 3 Trouble

I made it up to the track late Wednesday and set up camp in the typical spot. Thursday practice went well enough. I tested out an SV that I'm hoping to race next year and it seemed to run well. Night and day difference from the Hawk and the next session when I got back on the Hawk it felt like I was riding a pitbike. Practice went pretty well without any revelations.

Friday - ULGP The drizzle started just before our race and I gambled and switched to rain tires. I got a decent enough start and managed to sneak ahead of the only other two bikes that I thought were in the ultralight class. The rain increased during our race and I think most of the other riders were on DOTs or slicks as nobody appeared to be gaining on me. I wasn't going to push it unnecessarily so I just kept looking over my shoulder and making sure nobody was in sight. I caught up to Brady and Chris on SV's and followed them in for the first place finish. Huge props to Eric Wood for donating his trophy. That made my day! I thanked him personally but I want to do so publicly as well. It feels good to earn something for my first place finish!

Saturday - ULGTL This was just plain an ugly race for me. I was still confused why they were running the grids the way they were. There were a lot of SV's (lightweights) mixed in with the second wave (ultralights?) and it made it very difficult to determine where I was in my class during the race. I had passing issues trying to get past a couple of the SV's. One real pucker moment happened going into turn one and I really hope that the other rider doesn't hold it against me. I don't remember his number but I had a hell of a time trying to pass him for the previous lap and a half and my move was to outbreak him going into 1. Long story short, it wasn't a pass I'm proud of and I hope he's not too pissed. I finished the race and found out I was ranked 3rd - behind an SV in Ultralight??? LRRS still hasn't figured out how to keep SV's from being able to register for UL races and it's making for a lot of confusion amongst novices. We got it worked out and Tim (the SV rider) was very understanding. I contested it for contingency purposes and I'll end up with a second place for that race.

Sunday - ULSB I had a bunch of conversations with some guys who had taken the two day school and they gave me some solid advice. Turn in harder (bar input) and hit the throttle sooner is the consensus of what I need to do. I'm definitely working on both but the whole throttle sooner thing still needs a whole lot of work. I was first into turn one but there was no way I was holding off the Kaw motard. He smoked me on the first lap and was out of sight. #380 on his EX was hot on my tail for the entire race and kept pushing me. When we caught up to the stragglers from the first wave I felt like I made good clean passes even while feeling pushed so I finished the race in second place and in very high spirits. Now I remember why I wanted to race! My times aren't even close to where they were a year ago but I'm gaining on them and hopefully I'll be able to make up some more time when I man up and TWIST!

Why LRRS hasn't figured out the whole SV's in Ultralights confuses me. This was the third race weekend and it's still happening on a regular basis. Tim wasn't the only SV in Ultralight that race, or that weekend. Until either the software is changed or all of the novice SV riders are informed of the distinction between the classes it'll keep happening. The rulebook is confusing on the issue to say the least. To make matters worse, if a rider on an SV enters the UL race and is contested then they are DQ'd and lose all the points for that race. Probably no big deal in Novice but still a bummer, especially for an innocent mistake.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Re: NV #117 Round 3 Trouble

Good job this weekend buddy! Thanks again for the pics and your help in the pits, w/ the camper, etc.

Awesome job this weekend trouble! Thanks for letting me pit with ya, always good times. You met quite a few of your goals this weekend, good on you. Have fun at 'boogie!!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    There were a lot of SV's (lightweights) mixed in with the second wave (ultralights?) and it made it very difficult to determine where I was in my class during the race.
    my thought process on this is when I don't know who is in my race I just try to beat everyone on track. You'll always be sure you won your race if you're the first one across the line.

good job.

and I don't get the SVs running in different classes. There's been at least one running in MW (which I have no problem with him riding up a class) but riding down a class into UL isn't cool.

No problem on the turn one pass. I was amazed that you didn't run wide and go into the grass. You left me plenty of room.

Bruce #398

Right on John. See ya in July...or next Monday...or tomorrow even!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Congrats on the 1st place! I agree that getting a donated trophy this weekend was really nice. I got one of Rick Doucette's and got the opportunity to thank him. He said that he didn't understand the no trophy for novice thing so he was happy to give up some of his. Cool guy.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Nice job! You looked awesome in that rain race! And that kaw motard has more into the motor than your hawk cost. I talked to him for a little while on Saturday.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by shock 398nv View Post
    No problem on the turn one pass. I was amazed that you didn't run wide and go into the grass. You left me plenty of room.

Bruce #398
    I'm glad you were less scared than I was. I puckered up really tight on that one before I decided the only thing to do was to commit to the corner. The tires did what tires do best and we both came out of it unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Nice job! You looked awesome in that rain race! And that kaw motard has more into the motor than your hawk cost. I talked to him for a little while on Saturday.
    That's good to hear but I've gone as fast as he is going. When I find my fast again it'll be fun giving him a run for his money.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing

ill be right there with yah if i can keep it upright...

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

Sunday - ULSB ... #380 on his EX was hot on my tail for the entire race and kept pushing me. When we caught up to the stragglers from the first wave I felt like I made good clean passes even while feeling pushed so I finished the race in second place and in very high spirits. Now I remember why I wanted to race! My times aren't even close to where they were a year ago but I'm gaining on them and hopefully I'll be able to make up some more time when I man up and TWIST!...

Had an awesome time running with you!!! I ran my best time to date chasing you... I learned more in that 8 laps then I have all year... what I need to work on... where I can be a little more aggressive... it was great...

It was also great to meet and talk to you after and share in the enthusiasm...

Congrats on a good weekend!

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Congrats on the 1st place! Always good seeing you there.

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

Awesome weekend for you! You looked great and good times hanging out afterwards too. Next time, I'm totally putting a piece of your beard in my food.

Original

I just remembered that I forgot to give a shout out to my umbrella girl! That was the shit! Thanks!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing

1st Place!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Congrats on the weekend John! Nice to see the Hawk tearing it up out there.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Congrats!!! Way to represent the Hawks with a 1st place finish!