Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

LRRS NV #784 - Mustang - Round 3

LRRS NV #784 - Mustang - Round 3

My first Classic weekend! I was psyched for three days of racing and for all the other events that were supposed to go on this past weekend. As usual, the week+ leading up to the race weekend were jam-freaking-packed with non-racing stuff, so I felt a bit rushed to get up to the track...

Friday - NV LWGP
    So the forecast for Friday didn't look good, but the weather held off for the most part. The morning was totally dry; and we only had one, 15-minute, practice (as opposed to the two practices we normally get) - so if I was gonna get 26s I needed to make this count! Went out for the entire session, but just didn't feel it entirely...not sure why.

All week I was thinking LWGP was Race 2...turns out it was Race 8 It was the longest day ever waiting for Race 8 to come around... And as luck would have it, right before Race 7 it started misting. The ground wasn't wet yet, so I figured it would be fine. LRRS called a "rain delay" for 15 minutes to give people time to change to rains if they wanted. I hemmed and hawed for a solid 24 minutes, into Race 7, about whether to switch to rains. I did awesome last round on rains, and hate my DRC's in the rain...but I also didn't want to burn up the soft rubber if the track ended up being dry. So I finally elected to stay on the street tires.

Had a fine warm up lap aside from a slip in T6, and got to the grid probably several seconds before anyone else. That should've been my cue to dial it back just a tad, but I'm smaht. Then it started raining. I got an AWESOME launch (so much so that everyone watching from hot pit was convinced I wasn't going to make T1...but it felt perfectly fine to me!) and the holeshot again, through T1 and T1a fine, then had a little rear end slippage at the apex of T2, but it caught traction again. And then lost it over the transition. In retrospect, I know I wasn't at max dry lean, but I was most likely past the sipes on the tires. Ass end slid out, I quickly flopped from my left side to my right and slid on my hip to the tire wall, the whole time yelling "come on come on come on stop sliding already!" I kept looking back and forth between the bike spinning in front of me (saying "just hit rubber to rubber PLEASE!") and over my left shoulder at the racers coming through T2 (saying "shit! They're all getting past me!"). The whole time thinking I could get back on and still at least finish, if not podium.

The bike DID hit rubber to rubber. Picked it up (pointing back towards T2) but it wouldn't fire. Rolled down to the apron and finally got it started after what seemed like an eternity... Take off like a rocket towards the chute, shift into 2nd, drop the clutch and throttle up, shift into 3rd, drop the clutch and---do a little dance with my rear tire. WTF? Try to shift again, the shifter is moving but nobody's home. FUCK, shifter must be toast. Throw my hand up and roll into the 3-10 split, then limp home after traffic clears.

Turns out the Woodcraft pegs are notorious for getting out of round upon crashing...and the shifter uses the peg as a pivot point.

LWGP Result: DNS

DucatiMichael, Pang, Io, Irish, and others are nice enough to help me fix the peg and offer up some spare parts, feeding my Jewiness

Saturday - NV GTL
    All Saturday morning I'm still a little upset about the day before. Practice is fine, I feel pretty good; but notice I can't shift at the end of practice. A quick trip to Street & Comp fixes that. So not only am I upset about the day before, but I'm psyching myself up about getting 26s. I know I can do them, I just don't know how to.

I also have lengthy conversations about tires with many fellow racers. Everyone's trying to convince me to stop cheaping out and put on the set of Diablo Supercorsas I have sitting in the car. I finally take their advice, hoping the tires really do help me find my fast.

Grid up on the pole and take the holeshot again. I'm feeling pretty good...until #226 Brett Larson comes UNDER me on the exit of T2 and checks out. I'm a gear too low so my drive sucks, and he's at the top of T4 before I'm tipping in for T3. So I put my head down and go, I can't lose him or else my carrot is gone. Somehow I keep him in sight, no more than one turn ahead, for many laps. Thanks to KB, DucatiMichael, and anyone else who gave me advice this weekend and I'm now forgetting, I gain juuuuust a little on him each lap. Around lap 12 something clicks, and I'm flying. I can tell I'm making good gains on him. He looks back after T10 and you can almost see the "oh shit" look through his tinted visor (at least I like to tell myself that ). He must've been so focused on keeping me at bay that he mistook the white flag for the checkered - b/c he sat up and pumped his fist briefly after crossing the start/finish. He somehow realized that was not correct, and put his head back down...but I was significantly closer now. And kept inching... We hit some backmarker traffic, threaded our way through, and as the last T12 came upon us it was Brett, some EX500, and me... We ended up splitting the EX at the checkered flag, but Brett took the win by about 3 feet. I was upset about the loss, and EXHAUSTED, but checked the results when I got back to the pits and learned that I had the fastest lap of the race, a 1:23.072!!!!!!! In case anyone's keeping score, that's 5.7 freaking seconds faster than my PB. In fact, the outlap was the only one below a 27xxx. Fuck yeah!

Sunday - LWSB

So now all day Sunday I'm nervous as shit, wondering if I can match Saturday's performance. I've got the pole again, and am trying to breathe on the grid, when the 2 board is shown. I quickly try to position myself, get my RPMs in the right spot, and - shit, is that the 1 board already?! Fuck, try to preload the clutch, can't find a steady 5k RPMS, there's the flag?!? I take off but don't release the clutch fast enough. Brett Larson and 826 Mark Parker come around the outside before the end of the freaking wall Larson checks out, and I'm stuck behind Parker through the chicane. I get around his outside in T2, but Brett is seemingly already tipping in for 3. I keep him in my sights for about a lap, but then lose him. I knew I was messing up in little instances around the track, but kept it out of trackday pace. I take 2nd place, with a best lap of 1:24.888. Aside from the outlap, my slowest lap here is a 26.6, with most in the 25s. I'm upset at the botched launch and that I let Brett get away, but very happy that I ran consistently at/better than 26s.

Thanks SO much to everyone for all the help (physical and mental) and advice this weekend. RSP boys, MTAG (and especially Kurtz for all the tire changes), Palmy and JStu, KB, Tony for the entertainment... you all, and I hate that this is addicting too...

Sooooo now I've just sent a special email to LRRS...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Re: LRRS NV #784 - Mustang - Round 3

damn sandbagging LW novices

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    damn sandbagging LW novices
    I wanna get out, believe me! Good job out there yourself this weekend Brett. I saw ya near the riders meeting I think, but that was the last time all weekend...

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

23's is no joke. Congrats.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

dude, awesome writeup! i tried to find you in the pits over the weekend with no luck, i knew you were the closest on my tail every race. during that gtl race, i knew you were creeping up behind me, since i wore out so quickly. what i didnt know is that you were so close! i made some really sloppy mistakes in 3 a couple laps, and knew that couldnt have helped. i did shake my fist on the white flag lap, but that was just to pump myself up...good thing i didnt know you were so close! that ex made me real nervous in 11 through 12, the thought of losing the lead there scared the shit out of me, so even though i had shitty drive from not getting around him sooner, that throttle was WFO wayyyy earlier than normal haha. good stuff man, im glad i got filled in on the rest of the race now.

congrats on the 1:23, i got to the 23's myself this weekend, and pretty consistently by sunday. i had really horrible front fork issues once i got to that pace though, so i need to fix that before playing yahtzee with turn 1 again

cant wait to see you out there again, and hopefully we'll have jake vader to dice with again soon, i didnt see him out there much this past weekend. i figured he would be the guy to beat.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Yeah the drive out of 12 is key when you get caught up behind someone in the chicane...I was getting on the gas a lot earlier there this weekend too.

Jake's DNS(s) on Saturday were due to Jeff highsiding and taking a trip to Concord early Saturday; Jake himself highsided in practice in T9, I believe on Sunday...but he was putting down 25s before the incident!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Yeah the drive out of 12 is key when you get caught up behind someone in the chicane...I was getting on the gas a lot earlier there this weekend too.

Jake's DNS(s) on Saturday were due to Jeff highsiding and taking a trip to Concord early Saturday; Jake himself highsided in practice in T9, I believe on Sunday...but he was putting down 25s before the incident!
    yeah i figured that contributed to it. he beat me last month, so i had been looking forward to some good spirited payback lol. i heard his dad is ok minus a broken collarbone, am i right?

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    i heard his dad is ok minus a broken collarbone, am i right?
    Yep - saw him as I was suiting up for LWSB Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    I wanna get out, believe me! Good job out there yourself this weekend Brett. I saw ya near the riders meeting I think, but that was the last time all weekend...
    from how I understand the new rules you'll get kicked out to AM.

yeah I didn't do much wandering around at all this weekend. I was lazy and just stayed in 9N except for watching a few races.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

*cough* yellow plates *cough*

Looking REAL good out there Bill, I am impressed with the amount of time you have made up so quickly!

And just because you rock, I managed to snap a pic of your start

That is awesome, thanks Michael!!! Hi res please?