Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

LRRS Rd4: AM331 race report

LRRS Rd4: AM331 race report

for the first time since moving to amateur in the middle of last year I ran first practice.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: LRRS Rd4: AM331 race report

Congrats Brett

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

Niiiice!

Uhh...I assume part of the race report got left out? But congrats on running first practice lol?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Uhh...I assume part of the race report got left out? But congrats on running first practice lol?
    haha nope, that's all I wrote.

here's a short synopsis of the weekend.

Show up Saturday morning as group 8 is out. Boosh, Frenchy and Jim come over and we pull everything out of the truck and go straight to tech. go through and get my stuff on right away for practice. cold tires so I just take it easy the whole time.

GTU brake fade about 3 laps in and I spend the rest of the race braking super early cause I was pulling the lever back to my knuckles. never worked so hard in my life to run 21s. I was dead. finished 5th.
    Sat down for a few then flushed some "new" old fluid through.

HWSS brakes a good for a few laps then fade again. 1:21s again. finish 6th

flush some more fluid through.

MWGP brakes last a few laps. best of 1:20.020

saturday night I say fuck it I don't wanna deal with that for 2 more races on sunday. buy some RBF600 from S&C and go to work and missed the scooter race. I was kind of bummed about that.

Sunday
    I actually made first practice. it was good since I usually don't run well in practice, its more of just a warm up. Second practice I decide to go pretty hard to test the brakes, they're good. hit a 1:19 for the first time ever in practice.

MWSB 8th and only managed a 1:21 wtf?

MWSS had some confusion at the flags because I saw the flagger start to wave the checkered but he had the white in his other hand too. I go for like half the lap confused thinking it was over but Frenchy was still balls out so maybe he missed the flag. I come in and ScottyG pulls up next to me and explains that the checkered was for him and he was right behind me. That explains why I saw the flagger switching flags. Stupid mistake on my part and next time I'll do the full lap even if it turns out to be a "victory" lap. I was still given 5th because everyone else behind me was lapped. I coulda had 4th cause I know I coulda passed Frenchy in 3 or if that didn't work I could have had him in 9/10. oh well no big deal it was fun. best of 1:19.889. only .07 of my pb.

i like how we all gathered around your bike Saturday morning to get you in practice #2.

"quick, someone get a 4mm allen for the lower. brett, where's your helmet? i'm bringing the helmet and lower over to tech."

who shows up during when group 8 is on track & rides in practice #1.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

What a great bunch of buds.... Nice one

Psst... that scoreboard (you know the big tall bright thing in the middle of the infield) actually works

LMAO

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

That same thing (sort of) w/the flags happened to me before... I ended up passing Eric on his victory lap and went on to complete an entire unnecessary lap because of the confusion...

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    i like how we all gathered around your bike Saturday morning to get you in practice #2.

"quick, someone get a 4mm allen for the lower. brett, where's your helmet? i'm bringing the helmet and lower over to tech."

who shows up during when group 8 is on track & rides in practice #1.
    <---this guy.

thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    What a great bunch of buds.... Nice one

Psst... that scoreboard (you know the big tall bright thing in the middle of the infield) actually works

LMAO
    I've tried looking at it before but since I can't read anything I don't bother looking.

You guys are too much. Sounds like a fun time.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Good round for you. Caught a couple of your races from the front straight. Looking smooth. Keep it up.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

19's huh? Apparently you know how to ride a motorbike decently well. Good job man!!

I almost didn't make first practice on Saturday too. Stupid brakes were giving me a headache all weekend.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

thanks Chuck, always liked being called smooth. its something I try hard at and I think my rear tire shows it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    19's huh? Apparently you know how to ride a motorbike decently well. Good job man!!

I almost didn't make first practice on Saturday too. Stupid brakes were giving me a headache all weekend.
    19s yeah I can ride it sorta well but not well enough. I can't seem to get below a 19.8 though. next monday I am gonna spend all day if I have to fixing T11. I think I'm losing at least a second there compared to everywhere else.

oh I didn't make first practice saturday. I barely made second practice. I usually show up right when first practice is going out so I have plenty of time for second practice but I was running late saturday getting up there.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    thanks Chuck, always liked being called smooth. its something I try hard at and I think my rear tire shows it. Next monday I am gonna spend all day if I have to fixing T11. I think I'm losing at least a second there
    You should practice your starts too

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Nice dude. Looks like a lot of people got faster this weekend.

I'm hoping to make it next round and use them to pull me down into the 18's. My best is still a 19.1.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    You should practice your starts too
    you are absolutely right. I usually only try a couple during the race weekend. the 2 sunday races were much better, I think I went into T1 right with the front group rather than staring at the back of everyone.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

My advice is to go into T1 well ahead of everyone else Practice those starts!
    And yes...RBF600 cures most brake fade.

Finally, glad you had fun! Your pitmates rock for helping you get out in such a short amount of time. Amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    My advice is to go into T1 well ahead of everyone else Practice those starts!
    And yes...RBF600 cures most brake fade.

Finally, glad you had fun! Your pitmates rock for helping you get out in such a short amount of time. Amazing stuff.
    AHEAD of everyone else, NOW i get it
    I think any new brake fluid would have cured the problem but that stuff is nice.

Jim, Frenchy and Boosh just wanted to rock. they had the belly pan off before I even got the second strap off.

This type of stuff is awesome, my garage mates have helped me in a very similar manner and it is a great feeling to know helps there when you need it.

I was having front brake issues as well this weekend. Not exactly fade, but just inconsistent lever feel, it sure can be scary.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    This type of stuff is awesome, my garage mates have helped me in a very similar manner and it is a great feeling to know helps there when you need it.

I was having front brake issues as well this weekend. Not exactly fade, but just inconsistent lever feel, it sure can be scary.
    I would think pretty much anyone up there would be willing to help. These guys just happened to know that my practice was coming up since they are in the same group.

my brake fade wasn't really scary, it was aggravating. looking back on it I should have used it to learn from and go faster. I brake too much any way so if I just stuck to my normal brake markers I probably woulda went through the turns faster. either that or I woulda been cleaning the inside of my leathers after the race.

my brake fade was scary, but i knew it was because my pads were getting worn pretty bad. the PF pads come with 4mm new, and it they were down to 1mm. i put an old set on that has 2mm on it, flushed my DOT3 fluid with some new 5.1 and my brakes felt great again. i'm not braking later because the brakes are grabbing when they should.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

I dont want to derail your thread but just to be clear, all brake fluid is NOT created equally. Loudon is brutal on braking components and "regular" fluid can quickly reach its boiling temp where you start to get brake fade. I cant say I have tried them all but I have tried more than a few and the RBF600 seems to do a better job than most at dealing with the heat.

Also a lot of people tend to ignore their pads and fluid. if both are fresh your braking power is astounding but it reduces gradually so most people dont notice the loss of braking power. I personally flush my fluid every 2 weekends and change pads at the beginning and midway of each season. OCD? maybe, but I can out-brake a lot of people...food for thought =)

I dont want to derail your thread but just to be clear, all brake fluid is NOT created equally. Loudon is brutal on braking components and "regular" fluid can quickly reach its boiling temp where you start to get brake fade. I cant say I have tried them all but I have tried more than a few and the RBF600 seems to do a better job than most at dealing with the heat.

Also a lot of people tend to ignore their pads and fluid. if both are fresh your braking power is astounding but it reduces gradually so most people dont notice the loss of braking power. I personally flush my fluid every 2 weekends and change pads at the beginning and midway of each season. OCD? maybe, but I can out-brake a lot of people...food for thought =)
    that's not a derail at all. I was using 5.1 before which was good but was put in the bike at the beginning of last year. I started to get some brake fade last round and thought it might be the pads getting low causing the fluid to heat up more so I ordred a new set but they didn't arrive in time for my track days a week later. So I just flushed the fluid with that same already opened bottle (I know, not the way to go). They were good for 3 track days in MI and that track has 2 hard braking areas from high speed but then they probably cool a bit in between since they are at opposite ends of the track from each other. Once I got the new pads I determined the old ones aren't nearly as worn as I had thought so I stuck with them and they didn't have any fade out there so I figured the bleeding was good. Saturday I kept flushing with that same bottle cause it was what I had. I was gonna wait till after this round to get a new bottle but made the wise choice and got the new stuff. I'll be bleeding them more often from now on and sticking with the RBF600 (or maybe going with 660 next time)

Last edited by CBR929RE; 07-26-12 at 03:45 PM.

I have been using the same RBF600 and Vesrah SRJL pads for multiple seasons now and my bike has some of the firmest lever feel I've felt...

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N