Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

makct04 - NOV #521 - LRRS round two - 2014

makct04 - NOV #521 - LRRS round two - 2014

I don't really have a report to type up for this round, as I only got 3 total laps in (All on Saturday, Race 7: 1 lap and Race 10: 2 laps). I didn't make it out for Saturday practice as I had to switch rains to the slicks. Sunday first practice, I couldn't even make it past pit out without the bike dying on me. For the one outlap that I did get, I did a 1:36.xx which is only 2 second off my personal best of 1:34.1

However, I did want to say huge thanks for everyone that helped me out this past weekend. I was at a loss for what was/is wrong with the hawk but I made some major progress in getting quite a few things sorted.

John L, Bill M, Mark F, Gino B, Josh C, Chuck B, Steve H, Mike W, Tim D, Matt F, Mike K, Pete G, Mike (dunno the last name but the most awesome hawk I've seen), Gino F, Keith D, and I'm sure that I am forgetting a bunch of others but thank you. I could not have even gotten the bike remotely close to running properly if it wasn't for you guys.

I hope I can sort this out before next round. I will again be leaning heavily on the Hawk Guru's (Gino, John, and Bill) for help to get the bike back to 100%. I hope you guys don't get annoyed of me asking questions.

Currently: the bike feels like it's running on just 1 cylinder, and the back cylinder isn't running right. I think we got the fuel issues resolved. as I don't know what else could possibly be wrong in that department. We cleaned the carbs, bypassed the vacuum fuel pump, took out the petcock filter.

So after all that Josh, and Mark's best guess were electrical. We chased it back to the coil pack and try it with another but Bill M only had the OEM ones(hawk has aftermarket) that would of required splicing the spark plug wires with only a slight chance of working and I wasn't willing to do that. At that point, I bowed out for the weekend and hopefully figure it out for round 3.

I will probably start taking things apart tonight and if anyone here has a wiring diagram/manual for an 1988 Honda Hawk it'd be greatly appreciated. Also, any hints/suggestions on any possible problems, I will look into them. Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: makct04 - NOV #521 - LRRS round two - 2014

I doubt there we any fuel issues to begin with. The carbs were very clean when you got the bike. I would assume electronics from your crash in T9? Something might be shaking or a cut wire?

Sorry your weekend was like that. I know the feeling and it's not a good one.

We found a rubber gromet/gasket in the petcock filter that was pretty much mushroomed over and caused the low fuel flow. Also, we found the vacuum pump was not holding pressure. Steve H did a test of it and Josh confirmed so we took it out and did just a gravity feed straight to the carbs.

As for the weekend in general I was definitely frustrated but it happens. After all this bike is 25 years old, I don't expect it to be perfect.

Last edited by makct04; 05-19-14 at 11:36 AM.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by makct04 View Post
    We found a rubber gromet/gasket in the petcock filter that was pretty much mushroomed over and caused the low fuel flow. Also, we found the vacuum pump was not holding pressure. Steve H did a test of it and Josh confirmed so we took it out and did just a gravity feed straight to the carbs.
    I concur with this. The gromet was also turned sideways, which blocked flow. And you also saw air in the gas lines post-fuel pump, meaning that something was hinkey with it.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

You should really consider getting a tank IMO

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    You should really consider getting a tank IMO
    I've been looking, but they aren't cheap. This tank may look terrible cosmetically but it holds fuel and it's clean on the inside. So I'm not too worried at the moment.

EDIT - Either way, thanks for checking in on me several times this weekend. Sorry I didn't get to watch much of your races. From the one that I did see, you had a great start. Congrats on the podiums, you kicked ass dude.

Last edited by makct04; 05-19-14 at 01:02 PM.

If you have the time and materials, I'd strip the wiring system out of that bike and do up a simple, clean race harness. Given you don't have a fuel pump it can be pretty dang simple.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Gino(if you happen to read this)... I talked to Mike W and he suggested I chase down any loose ground connections then check the coil packs. Any other suggestions based on the things I've described above?

Last edited by makct04; 05-21-14 at 04:36 PM.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

why are you posting on forums instead of chasing down loose ground connections? :-p

I chased down two or three of them that I could easily find, nothing was loose. I'll dig some more into it tonight.

Mo, sorry you're having such shit luck with the bike. I know it's frustrating, but you've got a few weeks to get it sorted. Hope to see a full report after the classic!