Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

makct04 - NOV #521 - LRRS round three - 2014

makct04 - NOV #521 - LRRS round three - 2014

Yup, another long report but I wanted to share my experience with anyone that cares to read. Good luck on that. I also want to make sure I capture as much detail of these first events as I can so when I am older I can remember them like it was yesterday...

Cliffs: This weekend started off crappy and turned out to be amazing. I raced my brother’s Ninja 650R that was listed for sale a few short weeks ago. My brother and girlfriend are awesome for what they did to make this weekend a success. You guys are all amazing for helping me out. The Hawk’s motor is toast; spun a bearing. Best finish: 1st in my last race and best time of: 1:25.623 on my last lap of the weekend.

Week Prior: This week was the week that would never end for me. Every day leading up to the leaving for the track on Thursday was: wake up super early go to work for 10-12hrs, come home from work then proceed to work on the Hawk until it was well past midnight. Rinse and repeat. In the previous weeks to me working on the bike on Monday, I had the harness sorted thanks to the help of Erik (zx6r). We went through each and every wire to ensure it was good. We took out all the useless things such as wires for any of the lights, or useless sensors (clutch, kickstand, etc).

Monday, I went and routed the entire harness on the bike several times to figure out the best route possible, and then I went to install spark plugs; no go. I tried 4-5 different thin wall 18mm deep sockets; no go. Looked on the forum and everyone said use the OEM tool. Thanks to Stuart (Beinggodisgreat) who loaned me his OEM tool from his newly acquired Hawk, I was able to change them. Tuesday I had to fabricate some brackets for the new coil packs. Took some trial and error but I was able to configure it in a manner that was safely secured, yet easily accessible should I need to test/remove them.

Wednesday I pretty much had everything ready save for a few small things; re-install tank, tail, and test ride the bike. Somehow on Wednesday after work when I was ready to fire up the bike; I got nothing. Called up Erik once again who came to my rescue and we found the starter relay was not sending power to the starter. Crap. Tested a few more things and we ended up starting the bike with a pair of pliers across the relay. Fired right up and then we buttoned down the bike, by this time it was about 8-830PM. Erik took a short ride up the street and confirmed nothing cut off on him but he didn’t know what a Hawk was supposed to feel like. I did the same loop up and down the street but it was getting pretty dark as the street had no lights, I had no headlights, and I was on cold slicks. The bike felt okay but I wasn’t able to get on the throttle hard or go through the gears. So I made the call and deemed the bike good enough for racing. I change the oil and put the belly pan back on.

Thursday, I woke up early yet again but this time to load up the car/trailer so when Virginia could just pick up me at work and we’d go straight from there. Much to my surprise; it was raining in Vernon. I opted to have a decent breakfast instead of trying to load the Hawk and her CBR250 on a wet trailer by myself which meant I was going to be arriving at the track much later than I wanted to. I spent 90% of my day in meetings so I got out of work much later than I wanted to (left at 415ish when I had planned to leave at 230-3pm). Everything felt like it was just going in the wrong direction. Once I got home, changed and started packing the car and hitching up the trailer. One thing I had forgotten was how much time it actually takes me to load the trailer up and tie everything down that is NOT Pitbull TRS ready. We finally get on the road at 645PM which meant a 10PM or later arrival at the track. To my surprise when I got to the track, a bunch of people helped me unload; Wild Bill (Ynot), Matt (MFChop), Bill Cool (Mustang) to name a few.

After unloading the bike, both the Bill’s looked over my Hawk and dissected every little detail. One Bill said everything besides the aesthetics were in good condition and bike was solid. The other said “Why do you still have this thing? You should light it on fire!” I’ll let you decide as to which Bill said what. I proceeded to say Hi to everyone in the RSP/ECK and neighboring garages for the next half hour or so. Afterwards, we went and set up camp for the weekend by the back straight per our usual spot.

Friday: Goal – Shakedown the Hawk and make sure it’s running right. So I get up around 6AM and do my morning routine. After some breakfast, do a once over on the bike to make sure everything I touched was good. I go to start the bike up just to make sure; fires right up. YES! Small victories! Today is going to be good. Go through tech and get back to the pits. I put the warmers on, get my gear out and get myself ready for practice in group 7. After I hear the first group go out for practice, I start getting ready. I hear the call for my group, helmet on, gloves on, warmers off and I roll out for a few slow laps to make sure everything works as it should. I get on the throttle from pit out to T3, hmm… this doesn’t feel right there isn’t any kind of pull. Full throttle going up T4 and over the hill again doesn’t feel right. I figure it’s just me not being used to the riding the bike since I’ve only turned 3 laps last round. Get on the front straight. Full throttle not much happening, 3rd gear not much different, 4th gear, nothing, 5th nothing again. WTF!?! Is it running on one cylinder again?! I thought I just fixed all this crap. How could it be?! I take it easy the rest of the lap, and pit out after only 1 full lap. I look over the bike in the hot pit then turned the bike off to check it over, nothing looks off. Try to start it, but it’s having a hard time turning over. FUUUCCCKK! I walk the bike back to the garage. Someone helps me put it on the rear stand. Take off my gear, pissed as all hell that nothing I did over the past week was effective. All my efforts for naught. I drink some water and then try to start the bike up again and immediately there is a giant clunking/knocking sound coming from the motor. I immediately turn the bike off. Are you kidding me?! I didn’t hear this noise on the track because I had ear plugs in and was focusing on other aspects of the bike that I worked on so I didn’t listen to the motor that well. Ahhh….. My weekend is shot. I texted my brother and told him the motor was shot and there was nothing I could do to fix it. So much for racing, guess I’ll just hang out and help everyone else during their races.

After about a half hour of moping around and being lost in my own thoughts on what to do for the rest of the weekend. I get some choice words of encouragement from Virginia to get some sort of plan to recover the rest of the weekend as there was still plenty of time and lots of options on the table. I got a few offers from some of my G2 garage mates to race their bikes, race another friends Ninja 250 or various other options were presented to me from my fellow racers. First, I called Gino (nt650hawk) the resident Guru for this bike for his advice. He told me to take apart the bike so we could check timing and also see if the valves needed to be adjusted. Second, I know for a fact that Gino won’t be here till very late in the day or possibly during the endurance race so I went ahead and canceled my races for Friday with registration. Third, I started to take off the carbs, thermostat, and related plumbing to get to the valve covers. After spending an hour or so working on the bike to get everything off. I decided there wasn’t anything else I could do. I consulted with ‘The Beard’ himself (John aka Trouble) and he agreed that waiting for Gino would be the best bet. The rest of the day was pretty relaxing as I got to actually hang out with a bunch of people, watch some racing and help others with their bikes.

After the sprint racing was over I got myself together to help out the RSP racing team as a member of their pit crew for the 3 hour endurance race. My role was to check tire pressures for each member and set them to their liking/needs. Since we were using Adam’s (Rada) bike he went first, followed by Savas (Tsorfas), Keith (CatahoulaBuldog) and Mike (DucatiMike). This was by far one of the best things I’ve ever been involved with. It was a fantastic time, even though I did burn my hand 3 or 4 times by hitting the rotor on the first pit-in tire pressure check. I learned quickly to use gloves for the rest of the race. The planning, strategy and execution was something I had never personally been a part of in my short racing career so it was a very unique perspective. However, hanging out with the rest of the pit crew transponder/Kyle (itgbudeev), fuel 1/Mike (Linus), fire extinguisher/Josh (Kurlon), Timer/Matt, Flagger/Eric (ct1200), fuel 2/Mike R (Ducman), cameraman/Brendan (BMMCBR600RR), Pitboss/Kurtz, and head crew chief/Bill Cool. Our game plan was to keep times as consistent as possible between each rider and keep our pit-stops minimal. We ended up getting 4th in our class, regardless of the outcome; I want to be participating IN the race next year. So it’s getting added to the list of goals for 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

Friday night: Here is where things get interesting… At some point in the endurance race the wind started to pick up and the sun disappeared behind the clouds and after a little while of dealing with it I decided it was enough so I went to the tent and grabbed my sweatshirt. While I was at the tent, I saw my brother’s bike behind the tent. I had a puzzled look for a few seconds but didn’t think much of it. After not having heard from him all day since my text in the morning, and seeing he had just arrived I figured he wanted to get here early instead of coming on Saturday afternoon to watch the races. No big deal, I’ll see him later. I head back to the hot pit for the remainder of the endurance race. After the race concluded, I start to carry a hand full of items back to the garage and get stopped half way by Eric get asked to take a walk with him. I replied, “Let me put all this down first” within seconds I see my brother ride his bike (2007 Ninja 650R) out of the garage with my number plate in the front. Holy crap! WTF is he doing with that on there?! Then it clicks; he’s prepping his bike for me to race. I’m in total shock. After a few minutes of shock/awe I find out both my brother and girlfriend Virginia had been conspiring together all day to make this happen. Everyone else knew, except me. Totally surprised and eternally grateful to have these two in my life. Their support and their sacrifices for my dreams as amazing and I could not do this without them.

Then it dawned on me that if I have to race this bike, I’ve got to do a lot of prep work. Drill and safety wire the bike, drain/bleed the coolant, numbers, change tires, secure a lower fairing and then pass through tech. Well…. What the hell am I waiting for?! I borrow some stands from a friends bike (Thanks Tori) and we start to lay out a plan of attack after getting some advice from a few fellow racers. With the help of Tim (Tildoren), Adam, my brother and a few others we work until 1am or so to get almost everything done. All that’s left was to bleed the coolant and pass through tech.

Saturday: I was supposed to wake up at 6AM and finish up the bike then sign up for the only race I qualified for on Saturday (Novice Rookie 2). Instead my body finally able to get more than 2 or 3 hours of sleep for the first time in a week decided nope, I’m not waking up until 7. As soon as I wake up, I take a wiz and head to registration. I didn’t even wear my glasses, brush my teeth, drink coffee, or care if the world was on fire. Nothing was getting in the way of me turning some worry free laps today. Took a little while to sort through the confusion but the staff at registration took care of me and I got registered for all 3 of the races the Ninja qualified for; one Saturday and two Sunday. Next up, coffee and burping the coolant and somehow displaying the numbers on the side of the bike.

After a few suggestions, I settled for putting them on the tank as the ninja had a banana seat and I didn’t feel like mucking it up with tape. Put some blue painters tape on first, then white duct tape over it and lastly salvaged the red numbers from the hawk. Last on the list was getting the lower fairing from the hawk and making it work on the 650. Fortunately for me, it fit pretty well and I ended up zip tying it to a few places and it was secured. Sweet, the bike is ready and I still have some time to spare. Put the bike up on stands, and put my tire warmers on. Crap, I only have 160 series warmers and they don’t fit (the ninja had a 180 rear tire conversion). Have no fear, Timmy is there! He suggested I borrow the warmers from Gino F. (his fellow Maine rider) since he had to leave for the day. After some reassurance as I felt guilty, but I relented and put them on the bike. They were tight and took some caressing but they worked and I was good to go!

Finally, two minute call came for my group. I put on my gear, take off the warmers, turn the bike on and roll out of the pits. I start to get a little nervous, having not ridden the track at speed for a little over two months. As I start to roll out into the hot pit, I realize I haven’t really ridden this bike since last September which was only in the rain on street tires. Now I have Pirelli DOT V2’s, which are also tires I’ve never ridden. Lots of different changes new to me so my goal became simple: breathe, relax, and just get comfortable with the bike. Coming out of pit-out and onto the track I start to roll on the throttle; HOLY SHIT this bike has power! Brake for T3 then start to roll on the throttle again for T4 and get to full throttle going up the hill: I forgot what it’s like to ride a bike with power! Yes, coming from a Hawk I was drunk on power. The rest of the session was a lot of relearning all my reference points. However, when the session was over I was smiling for the first time since the crash in T9 in RD 1. The first person I saw was Adam and I yelled out “I forgot what it’s like to have power!” He laughed knowing full well this bike only has 60ish HP.

It felt great to finally be riding at speed and not worrying or wondering if the bike is going to give out on me at any moment. Don’t get me wrong, the Hawk is an awesome machine that has taught me not to rely on power in the short period of time I have spent on it. I really had to work on my body position and getting on the throttle early and constantly pushing my braking points further and getting on the throttle earlier. Still, it felt great to just go out there and have some fun for a change. Second practice was pretty uneventful aside from one point: I decided to do a practice start since I’ve never ‘launched’ this bike. That was definitely interesting as I just became a little more confused on where to keep the RPM’s. I decided to just do it trial by fire in the race. Fastest Practice time on Saturday was 1:32.317

Shortly after practice, my dad came out to watch me race and for the rest of the festivities of the weekend. It was fun to hang out with him and watch a few of the races. We watched the vintage side car races and it was great to see his reaction as the monkey’s were almost dragging helmet’s or nearly rolling over with the third wheel hanging several feet off the ground through T1. After a few laps, I headed back to get ready for my race.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: makct04 - NOV #521 - LRRS round three - 2014

Race# 3: Rookie 2 – Grid position: 8B

I tried to just relax and not put any pressure on myself as I knew I would be going up against a bunch of big bikes and I had no expectations of finishing anywhere near the podium. Goal was to just mix it up with some of the big bikes, maybe pass a few people and have some fun. On 2nd call, I started to put my gear on, 3rd call I put on my helmet and gloves. When I saw the last bike going over the hill, I started to get my warmers off, turn the bike on and get going. Having no idea how many bikes were in my race, I find out quickly it’s going to be a lot of opportunity of passing or getting passed. There were 33 bikes signed up for the race, no idea how many were actually out there but much more than I was used to seeing. I didn’t get the greatest start, and tried to put myself in a position to make some passes going into T1, 1A and 2. I just happened to be right behind Gunner #911 coming out of T2 and we picked off a few people. I got to finally get by him on lap 2 using my HP on the straight versus his little Ninja 300. He’s a tough kid to get around in the corners as he’s doing low 30’s with half the HP as the 650. I didn’t feel awesome beating an almost 8th grader but I certainly did not want to get beat by him. Midway through the race, I get on to the front straight and the next bike in my sights is just turning into T1. After that it was a lonely race. Finished 13th with a best time of: 1:30.408. Out lap: 1:39.164

While I was busy with practice, spending time with my Dad/brother and racing; Gino was working tirelessly on the Hawk. He checked the timing, and adjusted the valves. He found one of the exhaust valves was really lose in the front cylinder and one was tight on the rear cylinder. Much to his surprise, the timing turned out to be good which further confused us on what it could be the knocking/ticking noise. When I got settled down from the race and out of my gear, I finally had a chat with Gino, he suggested I put the bike back together and then we could let it run to see if the motor still made the noise (he never heard it since I took things apart before he got there).

I got to sit in the grandstands for a few of the final races of the day. It was an interesting perspective to see some of my friends, and the “fast” racers from quite a distance. My dad, brother, Virginia and I were sitting in the bleachers way above the corner workers in T1. As John (Trouble) came around on his Hawk, my brother told me, “Did you see that? Holy crap! It was like he was about to low side but he didn’t.” I said, “Yup, that’s John. He’s nuts on his hawk and likes to disappear behind the bike in the turns. His goal of the year is to drag elbow without trying and finish the race.” After John’s race, it was the “91st Loudon Classic” aka MWGP. Unfortunately, they had to split the race into two as there were upwards of 70 bikes pre-registered for the race. First the amateur race for 15 laps then the expert race for 20. I got to watch Kyle, Noel (GixxerJockey), Gary P, Tim, Gino F, Brian (Ginjahninja), Chris (Woody), and Brian (Krazy Again). It was great to see some excellent set-ups for passing coming into and out of T1 or T2. To me, the expert racing wasn’t as exciting because I only knew 1 person (Mike aka DucatiMike) in that race and the field was much smaller. It was still an eye opener to see their corner speed, lines, body positions and the biggest eye opener was how hard it looks like they are slamming their bikes from one flop to the next. It’s almost as if they’re trying to surf their bikes instead of ride them.

After all the racing was done for the day it was time for the LRRS tradition: The Butler BBQ in front of the Towed Inn. I love this part of the race weekend. Outside of the racing bikes on the track, this hands down the best part of being at the track. It’s great finally getting a chance to hang out with everyone I know at the track in one common place instead of being spread out between various pit areas. The food as always was delicious, I unfortunately didn’t have a contribution this time around. (I will make sure to bring my specialty for more than a select few next time!) As I made my way around the group to make sure I interact with everyone and catch up with their racing thus far this weekend; I got into a pretty good conversation with Kyle. It started off with my brother or someone mentioning about what I’m going to for the rest of the season. After reminiscing about our trackday battles all throughout the year through NYST/NHMS and how even we were the entire season, Kyle’s words, “You should seriously just race the 600RR, you’re comfortable on the bike, you have spare parts, and you’re better than you think you are so just man up!”

After dinner/BBQ I decided the hell with the Hawk, I don’t want to work on it tonight. I want to enjoy just hanging out with everyone and I’ll button it up tomorrow morning. I got to continue laughing into the night around the fire with the Low Down racing guys in T1 infield. Needlessly to say, it was great to enjoy the company of my friends and not stress over anything. Lots of interesting conversations including my brother’s quote of the night, “Two girls, one legend car.” The story of that, you’ll have to ask the Scavenger hunt girls or my brother. :rofl:

Sunday: I woke up around 630 a little groggy/tired, but as I was coming back from the bathroom, I saw Mike R and his wife packing up their tent. I decided to chat with them for a little bit, pretending to help out. Come to find out they’re both heading home very soon as they have a vacation coming up. As Mike and I were talking about racing his teammate Dan from BT1R came up to us in his car. He asked me if I wanted coffee, SURE! I told him I’d pay him in the garage when he got back. He dropped off the coffee to me while I was still getting my act together before heading to the garage. I stopped by Tim’s trailer and chatted a bit with his girlfriend. Looked at the clock on my phone it was about 730. I finally headed into the garage. I go to find Dan to give him a few bucks for coffee, he says, “No, no, no. You don’t owe me any money. Just let me pass you in the race today!” :rofl:

Almost an hour goes by and I still can’t find any motivation to wrench on the Hawk. I make the decision to wait until I was done with practice. The call comes in, there is only one practice session due to the SMEC(Motard racing unrelated to LRRS) having to run several heat’s and races before racing officially started for us. I check things over on the Ninja to make sure I was good for practice. Tire warmers on, fuel level enough to get me through 12 minutes of practice and I try to mentally prep myself for today as I have two races; one was with the MW’s and one with the LW’s. Two minute call, helmet and gloves go on. Tire warmers come off and I head out onto hot pit.

Since I didn’t get the greatest launch, I tried to do practice start this time with the RPM’s well past 8-9K. Much better, smoother and I feathered the clutch a lot better today as well. That felt good to get a decent of idea where I should try to keep the RPM’s on this bike. The first two laps I just get myself adjusted to being out on the track out again. On the third lap I start to put the hammer down and start working on getting myself more familiar with the brakes, which was the biggest weak point of the Ninja. The bike had had the stock rubber lines, unknown brake pads (they were progressive, I prefer initial bite) and who knows how old the brake fluid was. I start to push my brake markers about 100ft or so going into T1, T3 and T6. My hard work starts to pay off, as I go by the start and finish line with about 2 and a half minutes left in session I look over to the boards, I see myself up at the top with a 1:30.607 and I just chuckle to myself, HA! I’ve never seen that before. It didn’t last long though, as I pitted in early with some time still left on the board, I see my fellow racer Marek pull a 1:29.xxx to knock me off the top. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. At least Brendan got a picture of me on the top before I got knocked off.

After practice it was back to working on the Hawk. I finally put the bike back into workable condition to test out if all the hard work Gino put in was worth it. After trying to turn it on several times, we found the start switch wasn’t working that good. Gino confirmed that the starter bearings were also pretty much gone and eventually that would need replacing. Yay, more parts that needed to be thrown at the bike to get it running properly. Eventually we got the bike started and running. All that work for…. NOTHING. Le sigh. The knocking noise still persisted. Gaaahhh!! It sounded like there was a screw stuck at the top of the cylinder and the piston hit it every time it was at TDC, it was rhythmic and predictable. About an hour or two of checking several different things, Gino along with the help of Mark B came up with their best guess: spun bearing but no hard evidence would be achieved unless I pull apart the motor. I’m not very good at those kinds of things, so I naturally I’m looking at every option I can on what to do with this bike and my future racing career. More on this later.

- - - Updated - - -

I was slotted for Race 7 (Starter 2/ULSB/Thunderbike) and Race 12 (LWSB and Rookie 3). That meant I had a loooonnngg while between practice and actual racing. I got to spend a lot of time with my dad, watching my friends race and helping others with their bikes if they needed it. I was pretty relaxed and even had time to catch a 15 minute nap. During the morning riders meeting they split Race 7 into two separate races as there were lots of bikes on the grid, which meant one race for amateur and one for novice. The rest of the day went by pretty quickly and before I knew it race 6 had arrived. That meant I had to gear up and get my head in the game before 7A. I tried to stay off my feet for as much as I could and stayed as hydrated as I could as I knew it was a hot day and all black leathers love the sun!

Race 7A – Starter 2 – Grid position: 8C

Third and final call for 7A that meant it’s finally go time after waiting all day. I get out to pre-grid and see it’s about 15-18 bikes out there. This will be fun but damn it’s hot out! Thank goodness I had an awesome umbrella girl to keep the sun off me while everything was getting sorted. As we pit out, I opt to again continue my tradition for the weekend of doing a practice start. I also like being the last one out of the pits as I like to get a real sense of the track at my own pace and checking for anything unusual out on the track. Get out to the grids and wait for the wave in front of us to start the race. Green flag goes up for them, and I see them all head into turn 1, alright it’s our turn now. A couple seconds go by and the red flag goes up. Great now we have to wait for the wave in front of us to do a restart while our tires are getting colder and I’m sweating like a little furry mammoth during the end of the ice age era.

Finally we get to the second restart; front wave goes without a hitch, sweet! Time to see if I can get a good start and pass a few people into Turn 1. The flag drops and I get an awesome start, well into the first half of the group. I get about two or three bikes into T1A then start chasing down Roland (#240) one of my garage mates in G2. He was about 5 or 6 bike lengths ahead of me going into T3. I had to work to get around him, I finally get him on the third lap into T1 and I put my head down to put a gap of at least a few bikes between us. As I start heading up T4 the red flag goes up. Crap, I hope the rider is okay. I get by T8 and there is a giant cloud of dust that’s starting to settle. Rut-roh, that’s no bueno and they pull us back into pre-grid. My awesome umbrella of course runs over to me with some much needed water and kept me out of the sun for a couple minutes while the staff cleaned up the track. Pit out and back into my grid position of 8C. I try to remember exactly what I did and hope to get myself a good start again.

Front wave goes out, no issues. The one board pops up, go time. Turns sideways and the flag goes up. I get another good start and I’m neck and neck with two or three 600CC bikes at the 4 board. I miss an up shift, DAMMIT! I lost the ground I had just made up. I still managed to get around a couple of big bikes into T1/1A. However, Roland was determined and came swooping around the outside. I went and chased him down yet again and this time I didn’t wait to pass him. I got him in on the out lap and never saw anyone again until the last lap. As I made my way around the bowl, the red flag came up again. I saw two bikes together on the inside dirt and tires of Turn 10 and one bike on the exit of T10. All riders were up and moving. At the very least they seemed okay and mobile. Finished 8th with a best time of: 1:26.571. Out lap: 1:32.244

It was a lot of smiles, laughter and trash talking with Roland after the race. I was pretty happy with my progress so far this weekend and just tried to continue enjoying everything as much as I could. I knew I had one more race to go so I tried to relax and keep myself hydrated. I went and watched a few of my buddies race in the amateur/expert classes with my Dad.

Race 12 – Rookie 3 – Grid position: 7B

Finally a race that was with JUST lightweight bikes! Now I can finally measure myself to see how I can do against bikes with similar power. I was gridded right behind Marek(#381) and Roland. My goal was to keep these guys in sight especially Roland. However, I knew Marek always had great starts so I wanted to get by him as fast as I could. Going into T6 on the brakes, Roland and I passed Marek and never saw him again. Now I wanted to get by Mr. Roadblock so I decided T1 was going to be it, and I passed him going into T1 under power by staying on the throttle just a tad longer than him. I start to push my brake markers again especially going into T3. I tried to get on the throttle as early as possible so I tried to have the throttle cracked open by the rumble strips and right after the second transition I was at just about WOT. Again I pushed my braking marker into T6 and trail braked much more than usual. I strung about a good four laps together and thought to myself there is no way he is still behind me as I was getting tired.

On lap 6, T8 I get re-passed by Roland. I left maybe a foot or two to the right of me and the edge of the track, he used it. WTH! Where’d he come from!? Are you kidding me?! I followed him and tried to instantly pass him again out of T10 and then on the brakes in T11; no go. Just let me get around dude! I know I’m faster! I tried to out brake him going into T1, nope. I try a different line coming out of T2 and under throttle, nope still not working. Next I tried again on the brakes into T3 and on the inside. I picked the wrong line and couldn’t get by him safely. Still stuck behind him but I kept trying the entire length of the track. Come around the start and finish one more time, I see the white flag. The hell with this, I’m not letting him win, I’m going to pass him. I stayed on the throttle longer into T1, nope. Got on the gas early and hard out of two, got a little slide but I stayed on the throttle and get as close to him as I could. Going up T4 and over the hill, I saw there was a bike that looked to be going at a much slower pace than both of us. I saw Roland started lining him up to pass him on the outside in T6, I saw my chance and took it on the inside and passed both of the bikes on the brakes. I got on the throttle early and WOT through 7, and 8 but I kept my eyes open for him thinking he was going to try passing me in T8 again. I kept my head down and kept telling myself to relax, be smooth and I got this. Sure enough as I came across the start/finish line I took the checkered for my class. I was in cloud 9, this felt awesome. I’ve never won a race before and to do it on the last race of the day for me felt amazing.

When I got back to the garage I got off the bike; I was exhausted and excited. Fastest lap of the weekend on the last lap: 1:25.623. Out lap: 1:31.440.

After racing we took our time packing up but that resulted in a late arrival home. Regardless of going to bed well past 1AM again for the entire week; it was worth it. Victory dinner at Boloco tasted so good!

Overall, I want to thank you all for all your help, kind words, knowledge, tools and everything else to make this weekend a possibility. Thanks Gino for working your butt off on the Hawk and Tim for staying up late and helping me get the 650 prepped. Of course, I have to give a big thanks to my brother for riding his bike up, letting me borrow it for racing and for helping me get it ready on Friday after he’d been up from 430AM for work; Thanks for all your support, I’m eternally grateful to you. Again, I’d like to thank my awesome girlfriend for keeping me in check when I wasn’t the best person to be around, encouraging/pushing me to do better and supporting through all the ups/downs of racing so far this year. I know for a fact that this was the first time this year that I enjoyed being on a motorcycle and you’ve been very supportive of it; thank you. Also, I want to thank my dad for coming out to support me even though this sport is still very new to him.

Lastly, I’m at crossroads on what to do with my future racing career. I’ve heard a lot of options and I’m considering everything. So if you have any thoughts on what, when and how I should proceed; I’m all ears. I will list out all the options that I see currently at some point in the next day or so, it’s past 2AM now and I know that I need to get some sleep but I can’t stop thinking about racing….

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by makct04; 06-24-14 at 01:34 AM.

Congrats on your win and huge improvement on your times! I like reading race reports because it is always amazing to see what everyone goes through in order to turn some laps at the track. You definitely made the most of it though that must have felt so good winning the last race

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First off I'm super stoked that you got to actually experience racing. And how the hell did you remember all those tiny details?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Talk about an emotional weekend! I'm really glad you made it out on track and had some good races. Thats good for the soul.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    First off I'm super stoked that you got to actually experience racing. And how the hell did you remember all those tiny details?
    I don't know to be honest, I just start writing and try to go through everything from the week before until I get home. It always turns out being an essay/book as I try to make sure I put as much detail as I can. I know for sure there are still things I left out, such as hitting the turtle in T1 a couple times and having the front push several feet or the slide coming out of 2.

I had to smile when I wrote your number down yesterday for advancement to AM... you will be receiving an email from Wanda...
    Congrats....

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xsiliconkid; 06-24-14 at 08:47 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

I'm one of your biggest fans, GO MO!!!

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Go Mo Go!!! Glad to see you having fun man. Hope the hawk gets fixed quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    I had to smile when I wrote your number down yesterday for advancement to AM... you will be receiving an email from Wanda...
    Congrats....
    WAIT, WHAT?!!?????

Quote Originally Posted by makct04 View Post
    WAIT, WHAT?!!?????
    Yes bitch! Welcome to AM

Quote Originally Posted by makct04 View Post
    WAIT, WHAT?!!?????
    Hey congrats Mo!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Woah Mo turned consecutive 1:25s!! grats

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Awesome dude! Congrats on the bump!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Congrats Mo !!!

Welcome to the less shallow bit of the pool Mo!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Congrats Mo! Well deserved! If you can muster up the same perseverance on the track that you display in the paddock, I have no doubt you will be knocking on the podium steps of the AM bracket in no time.

Congrats Mo! well deserved! it was a blast battling it out with you! was looking forward to doing it again but with the bump that might have to weight a while. Have fun with the AM ranks.

LRRS/CCS AM# 240
    Sponsored by: Smoke Shack Southern BBQ - StreetAndComp.com - AXO - Woodcraft