Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MFChop #396 LRRS Round 3 - The Classic

MFChop #396 LRRS Round 3 - The Classic

Sorry you'll have to scroll to the bottom for the cliffs :p

Thursday
    I took Thursday off so I didn’t have to rush myself and drive up in the middle of the night after work….

Headed out around 8:30am hit zero traffic on the way up which was nice and arrived at 12:00. I have to say showing up in the afternoon is so much nicer than at 12am and still having to set up

Got the trailer unpacked then made a quick trip over to Miles at Sport & Competition to get a battery that I called and had him hold for me. I ended up going with a Shorai mainly because it was what he had on hand and also the shape of it gave me zero hassle with it fitting (a ballistic would have not fit properly and bounce around in the tray). While I was there he had a QStarz 10hz sitting there staring at me so I pulled the trigger on that as well.

After that I pulled my wheels off to have the guys of MTAG throw a new set of Pirelli V2s on. While they were at it MotoD Racing sent me some new 90 valve stems, let me tell you they are worth their weight in gold especially on the front wheels. By 2 my bike was on the stands and ready to go for Friday morning practice. So I spent the rest of the day saying my hellos, and helping others get unloaded.

Friday

Race 8 Formula 1
    Wave 1 Grid 2D

Once again I’m in a spot where I just can’t see the numbers or the flagger. So I wait to hear the engines load up and bam they're off. Instantly Im at the back of the pack 15 bikes back and a quick bounce off my rev limiter to boot. Instantly I gain back two positions into turn 1 and a third in 10. Now Im back in my grove and chasing down bikes….With each lap I gain a position or two ending in 5th place after a huge starting deficit.

Best Lap time of 1:24.781. A new PB! -3.457 sec off from last round…….

Race 10 Formula 2
    Wave 1 Grid 2C

Ive tried to watch this video over and over to figure out where I passed to gain position but all I know is I just kept passing people… I started with a HUGE deficit again of 14th into turn 1 and ended the race in 3rd

As I pit in Jonny B throws up the “Go to tech right MEOW"! That sign had me laughing all the way to tech, myself and two others all had our gas tested…

Best Lap time of 1:24.325. A new PB now down another -.475 sec

Saturday

Race 3 Rookie 2
    Wave 2 Grid 4D

Once again another horrible launch, by entry of one I’m in 8th. Fighting my way though the pack loosing and gaining back potions. I end up behind a rider for 3 laps that I just couldn’t seem to get a good pass on no matter what I did I was just on his tail the whole time finally ended up taking him on the inside of 6. I end up gaining another position exiting out of 12 putting me in 6th. At this point I can see a pack a head of me and start to past however as start passing I realize its the wave after mine and continue to push by…Finally I notice another from my wave entering 7 as I’m coming over 4 and realize I’m going to have to push harder to gain any more positions. Finally after two laps I have 5th and 4th in my grasp when I exit out of 10 then BAM a rider goes down on the last lap smack dab in the middle of 10. Which was butt pucker as it happen right in front of me… Red and Checkered go up and the race ends with me in 6th

Best Lap time of 1:24.159 A new PB again….. can you see the trend yet! down another -.166

After the race I noticed my fork gauges was very low on the tube from braking hard into 3

So I gave a call to Jon at Advance Traction to see if if I should changing out my front springs would be in order….. he advise me to trying add a bit of preload to it and go from there.

Sunday

Race 7a Starter 2
    Wave 2 Grid 1B

This was to date the most aggravating and stressful races yet.

Working on my launches I got much smoother at it however entering 1 I end up in 7th. Pulling into 6th coming out of 4. As we come out of the bowl I see a dust cloud in 8 and the red comes out. We head back over and re grid. Once again back in 2B a little flustered by fine we re-start and we’re off. I had my best launch so far only putting me back to 5th. Going into 3 I immediately take one on the inside but lost because I went to wide / slow coming out. 1-5th are all only a bike length apart now. We all follow lines thought 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 I try to pass in the bowl but our lines cross and I have to hit the brakes loosing ground but quickly picking up down 9. I end up gaining a position exiting 10. Now in 5th we follow suit again. As we enter 3 I brake late and pass on the inside again putting me right on 4th tail. As we go through the back section I gain inches on him pulling out of 12 I roll on the throttle hard but just can get passed. He crossed the line just a foot a head of me. We continue through 1-4 as we been as we enter the bowl I take the inside line, which put me out wide but ahead of him and in 3rd. As I crest over 9 a yellow comes out in and theres a bike in the outer 10 tires. Which meant i was now in 2nd! As I round 11 the red flag is out. Now Im fuming all that fighting and pushing and all lost. Flipping and aggravated we’re told it will be a minute and to go back to pre grid. Tired, hot and, aggravated we end up sitting on pre grid for a little while. We get sent back out and I take my time and try to relax putting around the track before re-grid. With 3 laps left we start off again I end up in 5th out of turn 1 and its the same pack of guys again. 3rd goes wide through 11a and stuffs 4th and me into 12 causing me to loose a ton of speed. Still one behind the other, hot and flustered I come cresting out of 4 with to much bar input sending my tail wagging and getting me even more uneasy. I recover and shoot into the bowl regaining back on 4ths tail and fall inline again with the rest of the pack. As we come back over 4 I roll back on the throttle and take to the inside of the bowl and FINALLY take 4th. Wanting to catch 3rd as I flop from 7 to 8 Im to hard on the throttle; the front end goes light the rear wags and the the little self preservation warning light in my head start to flash. Ended up recovering and riding right over the edge of curbing in 8. Still shaken I flow through 11 then at 12 Im two slow on the flop, my line gets messed up and almost loose it again. Im not happy and its not fun. Not rolling on the throttle hard anymore I embarrassingly get taken before entering the bowl. At this point I almost want to pit in but I want the points. One lap left I give a look back and can see I have a good lead so I just maintain for the rest of the race.

With all the aggravation and disappointment I pull in and check my lap times, look across to the times and…. YUP another PB!

Best lap time of 1:23.602 down another -.557 sec

Product Reviews

Shorai Battery -
    It as EXTREMELY light compared to stock and the bike fired up right off the bat. Contrary to the Ballistic the Shori is still the same shape as a traditional battery so with the addition of a small foam spacer included with it, it fit just like the OEM. Only small issue I had was the OE battery connecters had small lips on each side that I had to bend out ever so slightly to fit over the sides of the Shorai’s terminals.

QStarz 10hz Lap Timer -
    Im still playing around with it and understanding the enormous amount of data Ive acquired from it but its certainly showing me a lot. It did have one glitch in the GPS. I lost a whole lap somehow after exiting 6. However it is nice to see though if I strung together MY perfect current sections I could have been doing 1:20s!

Pirelli V2s 120/70 SC1 180/60 SC2 - From MTaG
    What can I say.. They are awesome! TONS and TONS of grip! If you’re not running on these; well you’re doing something wrong!

The bike felt great this weekend and aside from needing a new set of pads for the front I'm ready to go for round four.

A special thank you to the guys of RSP Racing, ECK Racing, and BT1R. I couldn’t imagine a race weekend with out you guys

Direct thank yous to Michael Weyant #29 of RSP for telling me to stay off the bars and just let the bike do what it naturally wants when throttling up 4 and to Chuck Boucher #39 of ECK for his tips on crossing over the dip coming out of 10

Thank you again to my sponsors who make this all possible

Advanced Traction, Dyno Solutions, MotoD Racing, Sportbike Track Gear, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies

- - - Updated - - -

Cliffs

PB of 1:23.602 - from a 1:28.238 so -4.636s

Current standings in LRRS

Novice Formula 1 9th overall out of 30 (with one DNF)
    Novice Formula 2 5th overall out of 36 (with one DNS)
    Novice Rookie 2 4th overall out of 42
    Novice Starter 2 3rd overall out of 30

Ill have to get better at this story time or next time Im just going to post the videos instead lol

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MFChop; 06-24-14 at 03:12 PM.

Re: MFChop #396 LRRS Round 3 - The Classic

Like a motherfucking boss

Damn dude. Killin it this weekend! Did the preload help?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Damn dude. Killin it this weekend! Did the preload help?
    No...

I just got off the phone with my 24hr suspension tech support...

I am an idiot... He told me to add 2 clicks of Compression and for whatever reason I added half a turn of preload. I was sitting there wonder why he said two clicks and it wasn't clicking.

:hit:

Also he added the importance of checking temps post races... Something Ive never bothered to do

Also, you can raise your fluid level too. Will help for sure as Thermosman did to mine

i raised my fluid before the classic. like piggy says, it's another option that might help

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft