Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Mustang: 2014 LRRS Round 1 - The Return

Arrow Mustang: 2014 LRRS Round 1 - The Return

2013 Round 2 was my last race event, and with having done only two TTDs in red group since then I came into this weekend relatively nervous. Add to that a new trailer, my first time towing with the GTI, the fact that I've been 132% balls to the wall with work and taxes since January, and needing to not injure anything before leaving for vacation in two days.

Friday
    I'd blocked my work calendar from 2pm-on. At 10am, we received a document from our customer, which we've been waiting for since January, and is basically the means by which I justify my employment for the next three years. Thankfully, my boss told me to GTFO around 245. Flew home, got the trailer, and hit the road.
    - Less than a mile from my house, my trailer running lights stop working. Or more accurately, the "smart" VW computer shuts down any circuit that isn't pulling EXACTLY the appropriate current across it; so any lighting wiring I tapped into kept shutting down. Fuck it.
    - Hit traffic in Waterbury, Hartford, somewhere along 495, and somewhere else. None of which at rush hour.
    - Made four stops along the way. Very poor planning on my part.
    Still got 19.7 MPG with the cruise set on 70 whenever possible Better MPG than with the cargo van, a much more comfortable ride...just better overall. I should've been towing with this car since I got it.

Saturday
    Blew off first practice because it was cold. I think it was already raining by the time 2nd practice rolled around, so fuck that one too. Let's just wait for the 25 minute GTL for my first experience racing a motorcycle since severely dislocating and breaking my ankle . GTL was shortened to 15 minutes, and the sprints to 6 laps. Got an awesome start (I think maybe 6th to T1? IIRC), but the red flag flew. Restart wasn't as good to me. Basically rode like I hadn't raced a bike in a year...passed a couple AM's, but got passed as well. Ankle really started to hurt on any left turn halfway through, and I got squirrely entering T11 each time. Finished 8th of 11, with best lap 1:41.558

I felt much better in LWGP; the rain had let up a bit (no standing water), but the temps dropped significantly. No idea where I was on the launch, but I actually had fun here. Diced it up with #76 teammate Keith Draghi a bunch, as well as with the beard himself #117 Johnny Linn, who was sporting new white-with-black plates for 2014 since he decided to stop sandbagging AM. I got front end slide in T1, T2 (screw you T2, you didn't get me this time!), awesome braking for T3 but a vagina at the apex, stronger each lap in T4 and T6, and almost highsided once at the apex of T11. Put down an awesome (for in the rain, with a spotty visor, my first weekend back) pass on Keith on the outside of T1, and stayed in front of him from then on. Finished 7th of 11, with best lap 1:38.647.

I didn't end up practicing or racing on Sunday this round.

Lots of love to my teammates, garagemates, Tony, and neighbors for help and support this weekend. Sponsors came through big time - STG with a new lid, sprockets, and GREEN chain, 434Racer for making those sprockets super duper ORANGE powdercoat, GMD Computrak for words of "inspiration" Friday night, Tonys Track Days for attempting to graffiti my bike with new stickets, MTAG-Pirelli for the fresh V2 Diablos whose only trip outside the garage was rolling to my trailer, Mad Monkey Motorsports for the sweet Qstarz lap timer that will undoubtedly help me find where the biggest piles of sand are hidden inside my vagina. Also big thanks go to me for daring to say "fuck it" and attempt towing 1800# of enclosed trailer behind a 200hp 4cyl hatchback with a $150 hitch before purchasing a $40k Volvo.

Can't wait for all the warmth, dryness, and awesomeness that will be Round 2!! Super glad to be back...now I just gotta find my fast again.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Re: Mustang: 2014 LRRS Round 1 - The Return

good to have you back out there. I hope you got a trophy for that mustache.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Mustang: 2014 LRRS Round 1 - The Return-burger-king-king-jpg

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Very nice report. Thanks.

I just wanted to say that I love the title of this thread. It's like the next Star Wars sequel. Nice to see you last weekend and meet your new creepy mustache friend. Enjoy Turks & Caicos!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

welcome back, creeper.