Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

First mx/sx race

First mx/sx race

I don't usually post race reports, but what the fuck. Figured I'd throw it up and try and brighten up your guys weekend.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a late in life road racer, turned supermoto racer who did his first Supercross race yesterday at the age of 46. I will admit that I have been riding open practice periodically at mx tracks for a couple years and have done several Jay Days, but it's not really the same thing. The pressure of lining up on the line and waiting for a gate to drop and then going all out for 8 laps isn't really comparable.

So, I've been traveling a little bit for smec... like I was in Maine, Michigan and Wisconsin 3 out of the 4 weeks last month. And with the final round at ovrp next weekend and then Loudon after that, I decided to skip boxshop this weekend. My step brother in law last weekend at a family BBQ invited me to come race at Winchester speedway. He's a late in life mx racer almost my age and usually the guy I talk to to for hours at any family event. So I said "fuck it". Figure it might be fun and good cross training.

Okay, enough back story. So Winchester has two tracks, an mx track and a smaller sx track. I've never ridden either even though it's like 45 minutes from my house. So I show up Saturday morning around 8:15. A little later than I wanted, but typical of me, lol. Get registered, get a transponder and gear up just in time for practice. Our group was first, there was only one practice and it was really short. Like 3 laps on a track I've never ridden short. I signed up for two races, 40+ and 30+. Kind of stupid as I didn't realize how tired I'd be doing 8 laps, but wanted the extra seat time. Each race has 2 mains and your overall position is a combination of both races.

So first race was 40+. A little nervous about the gate drop and stalled it. Even with electric start, it took for ever to get it started again. Maybe it was a good thing because then I got to ride the track a little more without the pressure of going into the first corner with a bunch guys on both sides. I ended up reeling in a guy and passing him, passed another after he crashed and would have had a third guy if we had one more lap. 8th place.

Next race was 30+. Was able launch this time, felt like I rode pretty well. Finished 7th in that one.

We had lunch then the 2nd motos. Definitely a little too much waiting between races, so a little stiff for the next one. Finished 7th for the second 40+ and 8th for combined.

I was pretty sore for the 30+ race and it was hot. Finished 7th for the second moto and for the overall in that race. I was about 7 seconds off the pace of the leader, but otherwise, pretty close to what most of the other guys were doing. There were a couple of jumps I was landing hard in the middle of, but think if I could get those down, I'd be right there with them.

12 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Re: First mx/sx race

First mx/sx race-20210808_084416-jpg

No trophies, but I did get this sweet ass picture of me jumping the finish line in one of my earlier races.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Awesome. Nice job bringing it home. I love MX. If it weren't for the constant minor injuries, I'd probably do a race or two more often

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Yeah, you wouldn't think I'd be excited about 7th and 8th, but to be able to run 4 motos, not get hurt and not come in last... that's a win all day for me.

I'm with you Paul. I worry more about major injury though. Lol
    I feel like major bones get broken more in mx riding since you are airborne more. Sort of freeing not being committed to road racing though. I never would have done a mx/sx race in the middle of a race season before.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS/CCS #66

I wanna be like you when I grow up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I wanna be like you when I grow up!!!

LRRS/CCS #66

Awesome stuff dude! Great job getting out there and loved reading the report!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

loved the report also. I miss those. I read every single one from when i started racing. good stuff.

I think Paul's are my favorite. Followed by JC's vlogs, then Josh.

LRRS/CCS #66

Did you bring the right gear, or did you try riding in sweatpants?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Did you bring the right gear, or did you try riding in sweatpants?
    Let's be clear... you were in shorts with shin guards.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    The look on the Track Marshall's face was pretty priceless, too.

LRRS/CCS #66

Nice dude! Way to get after it. I did a couple races at Winchester back in 2008/2009 and it was super fun little track. My numberplate backgrounds were duct tape.... Good finishes!

Boston --> San Diego

Thanks Alex.

I guess the track was bought a couple years ago and has probably changed a bit since you raced there. My friend says they added a whole upper section that made the sx track a little longer. I'd go back again if I had a down weekend. I'd like to try the longer mx side, too.

LRRS/CCS #66

Lifer

Sweet.

My only exposure to MX was the stimilon event a few years back at NHMX. I signed up for 2 classes and felt trashed by the end of it.
    Learned not to sign up for any more than that after watching Doug run every moto of the FIVE classes he signed up for.. in the 90-whatever-degree heat. Pretty sure he regretted that.

Here's to the epic photos and memories.

First mx/sx race-66012588-dunk9149upl-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice job! My only MX gate drops have been with Stimilon or on pitbikes, it's a very different vibe to a roadrace or sumo start for sure. I fully expect the video of me fucking up and launching with the women's class at my first Stimilon will be posted here shortly... So, you've got Road Racing, Sumo and MX down, what's next? Ice racing is fun, flat track... ?

Ahh my bad, I was confused as I drove in sweatpants. Ooops.

The look on the Track Marshall's face was pretty priceless, too.
    The funny thing is that my cheap MX pants (e.g. Alias) offered little more protection than shorts alone...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek