Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NOV 110 - LRRS#2 Race Report

NOV 110 - LRRS#2 Race Report

I left Boston on Saturday morning around 6:00am on a torrential rain. Took me over 2h to get to Loudon... but once I got into NHMS .. Sun came out :-) horray !!! I checked the weather map and it seems that the rain cleared .. it was going to be an excellent weekend !

Went to the registration and I found out that I had only 1 race available for NOV for sv650s .. decided to do Formula 2 , in which I expected to finish last .. since my PB from LRRS #1 was a turtle time of 1:46 . I ended up registering for 2 races on Saturday (Race 7 and 10) and 2 on Sunday (Race 4 and 11).

Sat Race 7:
    I have a sucky start .. Pulled a wheelie (1st wheelie of my life).. entered T1 in the back of the pack... on position 7-8. This race was relatively uneventful race, I was trying to get use to the bike, push my brake markers and managed to do a 1.41.1 best lap .. Ended up on the 7th after I got passed in the bowl around lap 3-4 by #880. I was getting a better feeling/handling of the bike ...

Sat Race10:
    I had a much better start, but racing in Formula 2 .. showed my how slow I am. I ended up pushing the bike much more , tires held excellent and I even managed to pass a 600cc bike at some point on the outside of T9, finishing on 16 out of 19 riders… but biggest achievement was a new PB time of 1.38.7. This race pushed me to the limit and it felt that I was going faster than ever, thought I got lapped by few riders from same wave as me…

Sun Race 4:
    This race was fun and eventful… Though it felt that I had a great start, I ended in T1 on 7th or 8th. In the 1st lap, as I was coming on top of the hill I saw the yellow flag, a bike down in the bowl gravel and a another bike rolling in the bowl and the rider somewhere in the dirt… I could swear that there were 3 bikes there, but I tried not to look…. I was expecting the race to get red flag it due to 2/3 bikes being down but it did not happen.. I pushed the bike pretty hard, determined to keep my position. On the 4th or 5th lap, I saw my teammate Roland (#240) down in the bowl, he looked ok. I continued to ride faster and faster, more things clicked and I managed a PB of a crossfit turtle of 1:37:667. I was very pleased to see that I got a 3rd place on this race.

Sun Race 10:
    This was my last race of this LRRS. I was happy I did not crash (my parents came from Romania to see me racing - added extra stress in the combo). 1st start, got a decent one, got passed by 4-5 bikes including #976 in T1 (#976 and I did the rookie race together)... Saw an opportunity in T3, and I passed him on the breaking zone (and it felt awesome). Started to go as fast as I can not to let anyone else pass me/catch with the other 4-5 riders in front of me, but as soon as I came out of the bowl on T7 I saw the red flag … After a 2nd attempt of a start (someone crashed in 1A from the 1st wave).. we had the 3rd start… This time, after 2 red flags I decided to play somehow more conservative. I had a good launch, got 2nd of 3rd around the pink box, after 1A was in the 4th position that I kept until the end of the race. This time best lap was mid 1.38s …

My goal for this weekend was to learn more the bike and get into the 1’3X s.. Goad achieved. At this point I am looking forward for the classic when my BT1R teammates (Roland #240 , Brian #345 and Mike #772) will improve our times.

I felt extremely proud of my team seeing that in Race 4 from Sunday that BT1Racing Team took 1st place, 3rd place and 5th place. Many thanks to my teammates (Brian, Mike, Roland) - I would have not gotten in sub 1.40s without them.

Things that I learned this LRRS:
    - I can brake much much later that I would have ever thought ;
    - I need to lean much more than I do (esp after seeing the race pics);
    - To have a good race, I have to be in a detached/relaxed/worry free state of mind at tat least 30 mins before the start;
    - Passing people and racing in a race is soooooo much fun … much more fun than track days!

Thank you and see all of you in less than a month!

Dan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Re: NOV 110 - LRRS#2 Race Report

Congrats on picking up some time. The big thing is that you recognize where you need to focus your efforts. Stick to this and your times WILL improve!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Re: NOV 110 - LRRS#2 Race Report

Grats buddy we will help you get smoother and faster

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt